Legion Of Living Organic Soil

• Thread starter Organikz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Organikz

Organikz

I was thinking of starting a thread to post rare heirloom cultivars and IBLs. I will just stick to my little sandbox here. This is another of the Black Kandahar IBL x Deep Chunk F16. I just fed a nice comfrey/worm casting tea. I also have the pure BK. Maybe a Bx is on the agenda.
20190628 065721

C

Comermac

Hey great thread. I am planning on mixing my own living soil in the next few months. Any thoughts on switching coco coir for peat moss in the recipe listed at the start of this thread?

Thanks

Organikz

Organikz

Ok I am going to start touching on a few subjects. I wanted to share information regarding comfrey. Comfrey is amazing because it contains every single macro and micronutrients especially potassium just as kelp does but brings other benefits as well.

Long History of Comfrey as Medicine

Comfrey has been grown and used as an healing herb since at least 400 BC.

Comfrey has been used in China for healing purposes for 2,000 years. Dioscorides, an ancient Greek physician, used comfrey to heal the troops of Alexander the Great.

Medieval monks grew S. officinale in their gardens to use medicinally. It has been used for centuries in Europe, Asia and the United States.

Healing Allantoin

All comfrey (True and Russian) contains the healing chemical allantoin (stimulates cell growth/repair, cell proliferant) in both roots and leaves.

Wounds heal faster because cells regenerate faster. It is used in skin care products.

Allantoin is found in the placenta of pregnant women and animals, and later in their milk. It helps babies grow.

It heals digestive problems. Comfrey leaves have been fed to horses, cows and pigs to reduce scouring (diarrhea).
20190626 180619

Rather than gathering all the info I will share with you what I know about comfrey. Comfrey is a dynamic accumulator. It can stretch roots way beyond the reach of most plants giving it access to minerals that would otherwise be tied up in clay layers deep in soil. Comfrey even has the ability to break up clay. Not many plant roots can grow in pure clay. Comfrey is also known as a "miner plant" for this reason.

Last edited:
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Ok I am going to start touching on a few subjects. I wanted to share information regarding comfrey. Comfrey is amazing because it contains every single macro and micronutrients especially potassium just as kelp does but brings other benefits as well.

Long History of Comfrey as Medicine

Comfrey has been grown and used as an healing herb since at least 400 BC.

Comfrey has been used in China for healing purposes for 2,000 years. Dioscorides, an ancient Greek physician, used comfrey to heal the troops of Alexander the Great.

Medieval monks grew S. officinale in their gardens to use medicinally. It has been used for centuries in Europe, Asia and the United States.

Healing Allantoin

All comfrey (True and Russian) contains the healing chemical allantoin (stimulates cell growth/repair, cell proliferant) in both roots and leaves.

Wounds heal faster because cells regenerate faster. It is used in skin care products.

Allantoin is found in the placenta of pregnant women and animals, and later in their milk. It helps babies grow.

It heals digestive problems. Comfrey leaves have been fed to horses, cows and pigs to reduce scouring (diarrhea).
View attachment 878267

Rather than gathering all the info I will share with you what I know about comfrey. Comfrey is a dynamic accumulator. It can stretch roots way beyond the reach of most plants giving it access to minerals that would otherwise be tied up in clay layers deep in soil. Comfrey even has the ability to break up clay. Not many plant roots can grow in pure clay. Comfrey is also known as a "miner plant" for this reason.
agree but dont,it is a all around feed for all plants no doubt and mixed with nettle even better,but break down clay ,no way,i have a clay layer base with my mixed ground bed,been wood chips,peat and top soil,layer testing puts me right in the sandy loam ,i prefer sandy loam ,just on the border line of loam and sandy loam,went threw a lot of trail and error to get this mix,i disagree with the importance of clay,clay is a real big factor in area with triple digit weather 8 months out of the year,that sitting in clay base you mentioned can be a god sent in my mind,i tried the coots mix as you always throw at folks ,just a sales gimmick same with mels mix,all crap and build a soil make millions on promotions of there products along with names of these gardeners and do really well until the heat is on,then your right back to the bottle or dry feeds,comfrey shreaded up and laid in a bed about 6 in deep under the seed does a working man job for your plants but break down soil clay i dont buy,i dont have much for science at all,i do have a lot for experience and what works for me,tried and true methods always prevail,medicinal values i dont doubt,wild lettuce is even better and same as comfrey been around since the dinosuars ,my best way of using it is like i mentioned above bury 6in deep under seed,plant seed and wait for goodness,then i use fermented comfrey and nettle with feed every week or so,i also like to shred the comfrey and top dress it ,great stuff,so my honest opinion is it has many uses and does all very well,but keep this in mind scientist and uncle sam cant regulate comfrey or wild lettuce simply because the cant figure out the medical properties of it,mainly the lettuce,you can over dose on it that how powerful it is for pain,taste like shit but that old back quit hurting and smoking it has even quicker results,so same as the flower we grow they want to have control of it,good read though but disagree with the clay statement,clay will have your plant standing straight up in soaring heat were the mentioned best mixes for gardening will be like melted wax at 11 in the morning and 100 outside,hahahah even better when you have equal npk counts across the board like a set it and forget it until plants say im hungry ,mulch is important too,it helps to keep soil moist and clay helps to hold it all together,just my opinion and dont mean much

Organikz

Organikz

agree but dont,it is a all around feed for all plants no doubt and mixed with nettle even better,but break down clay ,no way,i have a clay layer base with my mixed ground bed,been wood chips,peat and top soil,layer testing puts me right in the sandy loam ,i prefer sandy loam ,just on the border line of loam and sandy loam,went threw a lot of trail and error to get this mix,i disagree with the importance of clay,clay is a real big factor in area with triple digit weather 8 months out of the year,that sitting in clay base you mentioned can be a god sent in my mind,i tried the coots mix as you always throw at folks ,just a sales gimmick same with mels mix,all crap and build a soil make millions on promotions of there products along with names of these gardeners and do really well until the heat is on,then your right back to the bottle or dry feeds,comfrey shreaded up and laid in a bed about 6 in deep under the seed does a working man job for your plants but break down soil clay i dont buy,i dont have much for science at all,i do have a lot for experience and what works for me,tried and true methods always prevail,medicinal values i dont doubt,wild lettuce is even better and same as comfrey been around since the dinosuars ,my best way of using it is like i mentioned above bury 6in deep under seed,plant seed and wait for goodness,then i use fermented comfrey and nettle with feed every week or so,i also like to shred the comfrey and top dress it ,great stuff,so my honest opinion is it has many uses and does all very well,but keep this in mind scientist and uncle sam cant regulate comfrey or wild lettuce simply because the cant figure out the medical properties of it,mainly the lettuce,you can over dose on it that how powerful it is for pain,taste like shit but that old back quit hurting and smoking it has even quicker results,so same as the flower we grow they want to have control of it,good read though but disagree with the clay statement,clay will have your plant standing straight up in soaring heat were the mentioned best mixes for gardening will be like melted wax at 11 in the morning and 100 outside,hahahah even better when you have equal npk counts across the board like a set it and forget it until plants say im hungry ,mulch is important too,it helps to keep soil moist and clay helps to hold it all together,just my opinion and dont mean much
You havent been to Virginia and North Carolina. We have red clay so dense that it creates a poor drainage environment. When I say it's a clay buster I'm saying it's rugged and vast root system introduces aeration and organics matter while absorbing minerals which are stored in the leaves. This is clay so dense you have to use a pick to dig it. Coots recipe does fine. I have no issues. Inferior humus component is always the culprit there.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

You havent been to Virginia and North Carolina. We have red clay so dense that it creates a poor drainage environment. When I say it's a clay buster I'm saying it's rugged and vast root system introduces aeration and organics matter while absorbing minerals which are stored in the leaves. This is clay so dense you have to use a pick to dig it. Coots recipe does fine. I have no issues. Inferior humus component is always the culprit there.
i live in the south,clay is what you get,best way to break it up is with sand and mushroom compost,doesnt happen over night,but will in a few years as with all gardens more compost more soil life,i think it takes all 3 structures of texture to even start,once that dialed in then it easier to break it down,my ground floor is straight out white clay and sedement,i tried all the stuff imaginable to break the shit up,gypsum put a can of whoop ass on it,but only as deep as you can apply it,does wonders,but again only as deep as you apply it,so if you apply it with any fertilizers as a side dress you will over time break it up,i shoot for at least a 12in depth of fine rich soil,i dont even have a tiller,i turn mine the old way with a shovel,timing rain storms and dry period after the rain is the best way to bust the clay up,after a rain the stuff is hard as hell to turn but you can at least stick it in shovel deep and then apply gypsum,let dry couple days turn again and so forth,thats the only true way of breaking the stuff up i wouldnt ever think there could be a fantasy gimmick or trick to break it down,if there was id be afraid to use it,i been digging in the stuff for 59 yrs now,started young and my mentors tools were a shovel rake and hoe,all feed was coming right out the animals,are feilds were spread with the manure on the quarters,clay spots was sand and leaf material,rotation of crops were the key,beans and such were grown there not for the harvest but for seed stock and nitrogen added natrual back to the soil,lot of sweat broke it right up,AMERICA wasnt fat in those days,you worked all day for a pack of crackers can of potted meat and maybe a coke,that it,it wasnt a time were folk looked for the magic bullet or lazy in other words,if you hungry work for it days.
comfrey is a magic plant as is the flowers and meant to stay that way, bagged soil and such dont even have any soil texture in my opinion,just loaded with all kind of amends that poop out come magic time,im by no means disagree with the thread,just the statment of comfrey breaking down soil,if you are saying it will over a course of years,i do agree with that but while doing that the comfrey is sure enough the best feed shred,ferment

Organikz

Organikz

i live in the south,clay is what you get,best way to break it up is with sand and mushroom compost,doesnt happen over night,but will in a few years as with all gardens more compost more soil life,i think it takes all 3 structures of texture to even start,once that dialed in then it easier to break it down,my ground floor is straight out white clay and sedement,i tried all the stuff imaginable to break the shit up,gypsum put a can of whoop ass on it,but only as deep as you can apply it,does wonders,but again only as deep as you apply it,so if you apply it with any fertilizers as a side dress you will over time break it up,i shoot for at least a 12in depth of fine rich soil,i dont even have a tiller,i turn mine the old way with a shovel,timing rain storms and dry period after the rain is the best way to bust the clay up,after a rain the stuff is hard as hell to turn but you can at least stick it in shovel deep and then apply gypsum,let dry couple days turn again and so forth,thats the only true way of breaking the stuff up i wouldnt ever think there could be a fantasy gimmick or trick to break it down,if there was id be afraid to use it,i been digging in the stuff for 59 yrs now,started young and my mentors tools were a shovel rake and hoe,all feed was coming right out the animals,are feilds were spread with the manure on the quarters,clay spots was sand and leaf material,rotation of crops were the key,beans and such were grown there not for the harvest but for seed stock and nitrogen added natrual back to the soil,lot of sweat broke it right up,AMERICA wasnt fat in those days,you worked all day for a pack of crackers can of potted meat and maybe a coke,that it,it wasnt a time were folk looked for the magic bullet or lazy in other words,if you hungry work for it days.
comfrey is a magic plant as is the flowers and meant to stay that way, bagged soil and such dont even have any soil texture in my opinion,just loaded with all kind of amends that poop out come magic time,im by no means disagree with the thread,just the statment of comfrey breaking down soil,if you are saying it will over a course of years,i do agree with that but while doing that the comfrey is sure enough the best feed shred,ferment
Oh sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were saying you add clay to your soil because its sandy.

Everything you mentioned is clutch when building soil on open land. Right now I'm clearing trees in my backyard and mixing wood chips, green leaves, chicken manure, rock dust, wheat straw, pine straw, etc. What we are doing is pouring the footer...Carbon rich material. First you gotta get that carbon ratio up high. Then your soil becomes a nutrient battery via negatively charged surface area. Then you start adding the NPK stuff. Very good point.

Worm castings help break up clay as well. The precipitation from runoff water will chelate minerals and liberate them. I also want to mention that "Coots Mix" isnt actually Coot's recipe from scratch. It's the Cornell mix with some tweaks. His works fine although I found it runs hot the first cycle or 2. I have found that the humic component should be 50/50 worm castings/compost. As you know all worm castings arent created equal. I use carbon and lignan rich material. The 2 most important components of building high quality humus. I have a new recipe from Gascanastan that I can share. His focus is cation exchange via carbon rich soil building. That's one major detail people always overlook when building coots mix which as I said is actually the Cornell mix. Coot attempted to hammer the idea of ensuring quality humic material is used but people overlook it. His worm compost is ridiculous and he special orders it and tells them what to feed his worms. Making coots mix with low humic compost is equal to putting race fuel in a Geo. The engine can't contain the power so it breaks. Put that same fuel is a Lambo and it runs like a wet dream.

You brought up a great point that I'm really digging into. Dont need all the bells and whistles. Like building a house. Carbon is the footer. Other amendments are the foundation. Now you have a solid foundation to build on.

I also agree Jeremy from build a soil made it into a 3 ring circus which defeated the purpose of what coot and gascan set out to accomplish. Their goal was to keep it simple and economical. Lignan rich humic material and a constant process of decaying organic matter is all that's needed. Both of us prefer straw. Gas is slightly heated about the hydro stores of LOS because again they defeat the purpose of a simple, economical grow for patients on low income.

Btw I am glad to reconnect with you guys. You guys are very knowledgeable and I enjoy discussions with you gents.

Last edited:
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Oh sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were saying you add clay to your soil because its sandy.

Everything you mentioned is clutch when building soil on open land. Right now I'm clearing trees in my backyard and mixing wood chips, green leaves, chicken manure, rock dust, wheat straw, pine straw, etc. What we are doing is pouring the footer...Carbon rich material. First you gotta get that carbon ratio up high. Then your soil becomes a nutrient battery via negatively charged surface area. Then you start adding the NPK stuff. Very good point.

Worm castings help break up clay as well. The precipitation from runoff water will chelate minerals and liberate them. I also want to mention that "Coots Mix" isnt actually Coot's recipe from scratch. It's the Cornell mix with some tweaks. His works fine although I found it runs hot the first cycle or 2. I have found that the humic component should be 50/50 worm castings/compost. As you know all worm castings arent created equal. I use carbon and lignan rich material. The 2 most important components of building high quality humus. I have a new recipe from Gascanastan that I can share. His focus is cation exchange via carbon rich soil building. That's one major detail people always overlook when building coots mix which as I said is actually the Cornell mix. Coot attempted to hammer the idea of ensuring quality humic material is used but people overlook it. His worm compost is ridiculous and he special orders it and tells them what to feed his worms. Making coots mix with low humic compost is equal to putting race fuel in a Geo. The engine can't contain the power so it breaks. Put that same fuel is a Lambo and it runs like a wet dream.

You brought up a great point that I'm really digging into. Dont need all the bells and whistles. Like building a house. Carbon is the footer. Other amendments are the foundation. Now you have a solid foundation to build on.

I also agree Jeremy from build a soil made it into a 3 ring circus which defeated the purpose of what coot and gascan set out to accomplish. Their goal was to keep it simple and economical. Lignan rich humic material and a constant process of decaying organic matter is all that's needed. Both of us prefer straw. Gas is slightly heated about the hydro stores of LOS because again they defeat the purpose of a simple, economical grow for patients on low income.

Btw I am glad to reconnect with you guys. You guys are very knowledgeable and I enjoy discussions with you gents.
be careful were you get your wood chips,i got 5 truck loads about 2 yrs ago,a dream to walk on in the garden,and kept weeds from my walk ways threw the garden,but jimney christmas did i ever start a grub,slug and snail problem,got me working my ass off,not to mention they also introduce the coons digging for them,i got 3 of them so far,but i have one that is trap smart and trail camera got a pic beside a 33 gal trash bag half full and the damn thing was same size as the bag,i been waiting on a full moon with a clear sky to end his hunger,big mistake putting the stuff in,all my boxs now have the kiddie playground chips in it,really good stuff breaking down is also doing better than the free chips.
im tearing all my boxs down as soon as i harvest it all and doing a whole make over,be busy as hell until spring hahaah it hot as piss here and working outside is just about to the morning and evening so it take a while,give me plenty of time to reconsider the lay out and give me better strategy to keep them fools out,damn things can crawl right up a brick wall,thats a fact,i finally got the sow that was coming into the roof of the house,1 damn hole were they left a brick out and the bitch come up to the second floor climbing a 4x6 post to top deck then right up the wall into that little hole,she gone haaah,one thing for sure my 10 ft fencing around my garden aint stopping shit,but that gun does,i got to get ride this bastard before my corn starts putting on ears or the coon will wipe me out.
im pretty happy with my mix,mama done filled about 14 cases of jars,had a great harvest this year,i got potato,tomato,squash,okra still rolling great,watermelon and canaloupe,once it done time to play carpenter and mixer again hahahh.i agree about jeremy ,think there goal now is to jion the crowd of monster garden and such,make vids of doing all kind shit and growing money doing it,lol this freaking world is a joke and has changed so much,im ready to go any time my main man in the sky ready for another garden hand,integrity and trust are just myths these days

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
be careful were you get your wood chips,i got 5 truck loads about 2 yrs ago,a dream to walk on in the garden,and kept weeds from my walk ways threw the garden,but jimney christmas did i ever start a grub,slug and snail problem,got me working my ass off,not to mention they also introduce the coons digging for them,i got 3 of them so far,but i have one that is trap smart and trail camera got a pic beside a 33 gal trash bag half full and the damn thing was same size as the bag,i been waiting on a full moon with a clear sky to end his hunger,big mistake putting the stuff in,all my boxs now have the kiddie playground chips in it,really good stuff breaking down is also doing better than the free chips.
im tearing all my boxs down as soon as i harvest it all and doing a whole make over,be busy as hell until spring hahaah it hot as piss here and working outside is just about to the morning and evening so it take a while,give me plenty of time to reconsider the lay out and give me better strategy to keep them fools out,damn things can crawl right up a brick wall,thats a fact,i finally got the sow that was coming into the roof of the house,1 damn hole were they left a brick out and the bitch come up to the second floor climbing a 4x6 post to top deck then right up the wall into that little hole,she gone haaah,one thing for sure my 10 ft fencing around my garden aint stopping shit,but that gun does,i got to get ride this bastard before my corn starts putting on ears or the coon will wipe me out.
im pretty happy with my mix,mama done filled about 14 cases of jars,had a great harvest this year,i got potato,tomato,squash,okra still rolling great,watermelon and canaloupe,once it done time to play carpenter and mixer again hahahh.i agree about jeremy ,think there goal now is to jion the crowd of monster garden and such,make vids of doing all kind shit and growing money doing it,lol this freaking world is a joke and has changed so much,im ready to go any time my main man in the sky ready for another garden hand,integrity and trust are just myths these days
Thank you for your time.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
thats a good thang hahahaha i just give info with what i find works best for me,isnt always right for others but it a starting point to figure which method you work best at,it all about the plants for me anyway
That’s the other thing I like about it, it’s a personal experience most of the time with you. Instead of just talking hear say out your ass like a lot of people do. Or that they read in a magazine somewhere like hightimes LoL.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

That’s the other thing I like about it, it’s a personal experience most of the time with you. Instead of just talking hear say out your ass like a lot of people do. Or that they read in a magazine somewhere like hightimes LoL.
put it this way even being a super i never told any employee to do some thing i hadnt hahahah,all in all most of the growing issues we all,including myself we start you dig,i have had both veggies and the flowers give me all kind of hell just from feeding them,some strains of flowers are so close back to original they get mad as hell if you jack with there home,about 15 years ago i grew a mexican straight out sativa,great smoke,every time i tried to just top dress a little something special for being a good girl hahah they would damn sure bark and take about a 3 day break from being pretty,let that soil dry same thing,it does best in moist soil and nothing but water,i just let one go buck wild and it produced more buds than the ones right next to it with just a few amends,right then i went to damn near starving all indoor and outdoor veggie gardens and shit got to happening if you dig,most issue we cause feel me

Organikz

Organikz

I am making mine in a wood chipper as I clear my land. I have removed 13 trees. Went from full shade to mostly sunny. It's not a big lot but they are deciduous trees. Red oaks, sycamores, and maples. I have pine to remove but I need a crane to lop that big bitch. May give my arborist buddy a pound and let him go to work. I know my limits. I will be milling the pine to build with. Gas convinced me to save a bunch of wood for gourmet shroom farming. Shiitake and morel.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I am making mine in a wood chipper as I clear my land. I have removed 13 trees. Went from full shade to mostly sunny. It's not a big lot but they are deciduous trees. Red oaks, sycamores, and maples. I have pine to remove but I need a crane to lop that big bitch. May give my arborist buddy a pound and let him go to work. I know my limits. I will be milling the pine to build with. Gas convinced me to save a bunch of wood for gourmet shroom farming. Shiitake and morel.
you could do hugleculture withthe limbs ,i think that what it called,i tried to do it with a bunch of oak limbs when i lived in the city,i dug the bed up 3ft deep to replace old plumbing beside the house,i took time to cut them damn things to about 4in long ever one of them packed them bitchs in there and covered it up with a few amends and peat,mixed it real good,planted roses right on top of it,damn things grew so well after we sold the house i took clippings,put them in my little maxwell house cloner and got roots,any way they got to about 2 ft tall here at new place and the deer found them and tomato plants,hahahah there was one i cloned that i had grafted two years earlier the only one that i got to graft,mixed red yellow and pink,threw out some of the biggest and difrent color roses you ever saw,but lost it to hungry indians that hang around the house hahahh.
i cut every damn one them limbs,sit right in the middle of them all and didnt leave to i was done,my old ass just found out mama had MS and didnt even give a shit if a rattler was in there,but them roses thrived over them,i just cant remeber what it called,hugle culture is what on my mind

Organikz

Organikz

you could do hugleculture withthe limbs ,i think that what it called,i tried to do it with a bunch of oak limbs when i lived in the city,i dug the bed up 3ft deep to replace old plumbing beside the house,i took time to cut them damn things to about 4in long ever one of them packed them bitchs in there and covered it up with a few amends and peat,mixed it real good,planted roses right on top of it,damn things grew so well after we sold the house i took clippings,put them in my little maxwell house cloner and got roots,any way they got to about 2 ft tall here at new place and the deer found them and tomato plants,hahahah there was one i cloned that i had grafted two years earlier the only one that i got to graft,mixed red yellow and pink,threw out some of the biggest and difrent color roses you ever saw,but lost it to hungry indians that hang around the house hahahh.
i cut every damn one them limbs,sit right in the middle of them all and didnt leave to i was done,my old ass just found out mama had MS and didnt even give a shit if a rattler was in there,but them roses thrived over them,i just cant remeber what it called,hugle culture is what on my mind
Yeah. I am running that in my veggie beds. I'm using a combination of logs, wood chips, leaves/brush. I think it's called hugelkultur.

Top Bottom