Legion Of Living Organic Soil

• Thread starter Organikz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Organikz

Organikz

thats it,works pretty good too,i like it best for the natural look of gardening,just says im a hill plant on me haaah
You wanna talk moisture retention? We've been 3 weeks without rain in the high 90s and the plants in my LOS/hugelkultur planters havent blinked.
20190702 103330

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

You wanna talk moisture retention? We've been 3 weeks without rain in the high 90s and the plants in my LOS/hugelkultur planters havent blinked.
View attachment 878952
thats the reason i added the clay to my containers and plants have shown they like it very well,im down to watering every 3 days now without coming outside to plants that look like melted wax,we been running right at or above 100 here for a month,plants responding well,last year this time i already gave up and had nothing but empty containers,the clay makes a difrence,trick is moist and never dry,lol

Organikz

Organikz

thats the reason i added the clay to my containers and plants have shown they like it very well,im down to watering every 3 days now without coming outside to plants that look like melted wax,we been running right at or above 100 here for a month,plants responding well,last year this time i already gave up and had nothing but empty containers,the clay makes a difrence,trick is moist and never dry,lol
Same here. Powderize rice hulls and top dress that. Scratch it in. Silica helps plants protect themselves from heat. Agsil16 works great as well. That's potassium silicate. Both help plants mitigate heat. Greensand also good but it takes time to see true benefits.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

I also want to mention that "Coots Mix" isnt actually Coot's recipe from scratch. It's the Cornell mix with some tweaks.

Are you sure about the Cornell mix?? I run a Coots mix have been for years. Doesn't look anything like the Cornell Mix they use and mix up for professional use. About the only ingredients thats in both are per-lite and EWC. Other than that - completely different.

Comfrey is good stuff. I grow it and use it for green manure in our vermi-compost bins. Wife makes comfrey salve. Just had knee surgery and it works great for recovery. Best ever... was off pain meds in a week after major reconstruction. Walking almost normally in 1 month. Ruptured my quad. Surgery hurt a lot worse than the injury. But glad I'm not crippled for life.

BobaJob

BobaJob

ok at the rick of looking an idiot... few things if I may ask. Firstly, I use the whole biocanna range, nothing else... would you guys consider that organic? Also, after I harvested, I'd left my pots for a few days and noticed what I believe to be that white fury stuff all over the top of the soil - good thing then?? If biocanna isn't truly organic, is there something easy to use like that you guys would' recommend?

Thanks

Peace

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
Yes we transplant in LOS. As long as you have a designated "final container". I do starts in a solo cup if I dont have a lot of seeds to do direct sowing.

do you direct sowing better ? books i've read suggest so ?

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Hello all!!! I am building up some Coots mix, and have some specific questions. Right now i am building "smart pots" rebar, chicken wire, plastic on the bottom and a few in up the sides and then double layer coffee sacks(FREE!) on the inside, 2 in layer lava at the bottom, 5.5ft round 24in deep, 250 gallons approx...I want to get closer to the source than buying expensive bagged amendments from Down to Earth. With a high focus on re using and recycling, and the best buy is free! SO! How about milling bales of alfalfa into your own meal? Or using directly as a mulch layer?Put it into my ninja or possibly buy a hand crank grain mill? How about sourcing local grains for malting and SSTs? Chopping down a ton of wild horse tail; it grows in patches on the side of the highway.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

And now considering foraging for leaf mould, finding nice large cottonwoods that have never been raked and digging up a tuck load.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

We've been digging up cotton wood leaf mold all last fall and again starting early spring soon as we can shovel it. Good stuff also have a HUGE ass pile of cotton wood fire wood split that we are stacking prolly 30 chords or more and some downed trees to cut up.

Good stuff... go check your local feed store they will have amendments in large sacks for pennies by the pound. They should have kelp meal and many of the other meals and oyster shell/gypsum etc. good for farming. Dont forget aeration. Famers need to augment the feed they give their animals so you likely will find your rock dusts already milled to a fine powder as well.

GL with your garden.

thebum

thebum

Hey all. Great thread. Anybody still out there?

First time soil grower setting up a 4x4. Planning to do four 15 gallon Grassroots pots probably each with it's own premade "living" mix. Looking at Great Lakes Water Only (not organic), Redbud Soil, Purple Cow Indicanja, and either another KIS style mix or just using Fox Farm. Will probably use the same compost so it's not a great side by side but what the hell.

I've been advised that digital moisture meters for soil are a waste of money but I think those people could be overwatering and preventing optimal herd activity. I plan to order one.. does Blumat make the best ones? There are much cheaper alternatives but I'm guessing they aren't worth it.

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

@Organikz what comfrey cultivar would you recommend?
Bocking 14 is a sterile cultivar and the one you want. It can be replicated very easily buy dividing its roots. Don't run over the crown with a mower or you will have comfrey every where.

Google bocking 14 - rootings are sold via mail order. Good stuff

TrunkMonkey

TrunkMonkey

When making your living soil...

Do you use weight or volume for the ratio?

Do you measure the peat compressed or broken apart and fluffed?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

When making your living soil...

Do you use weight or volume for the ratio?

Do you measure the peat compressed or broken apart and fluffed?
with your peat it is suggested to break apart then hydrate,then do your measurments,i just do mine the easy way,a simple 5 gal bucket
5gal peat
5 gal compost
5 gal perlite/vermiculite or kiddie playground wood chips,ive used the chip past 2 years and like them alot,they do decompose were the perlite and vermiculite doesnt,decomposition equal organic matter.
plus the chips are sterilized
after the base is there you can add all the amends you chose , then cook

Rcubed

Rcubed

Hey Oldy, long time my friend. I had always been told that wood chips were a big nitrogen grabber so I never used them, but it makes sense to keep it all organic like that. Hey I grew some Rotten Mayo x HCP. I got from Reno last year. I think he said that came from you? I just cut it down. One of the stickiest plants I ever grew.
20200923 170835

Is that right that was your cross?

Latest posts

Top Bottom