Let’s talk light leaks/ does a little light coming in around bottom of a curtain/Panda film etc. cause herm’s or other issues?

• Thread starter Mastiff420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mastiff420

Mastiff420

This seems to be a controversial subject as I have heard a lot of very different opinions! Personally I’ve use been using Panda film draped from ceiling to create a low cost tent. A few staple holes around top and not light tight on bottom, just hanging there.. Like to hear your opinions..thnx 😎✌️

kalikushkid

kalikushkid

No this is false... think of moon light. As long as there’s no crazy light stressing your plant out causing it to start photosynthesis it will be fine. Trust me. It’s only when you have light that’s powerful enough to cause photosynthesis. Trust I’ve done SO much research. Now if a grow light were to be left on or reflecting off something bright enough to stress the plant out then I’d worry but I’ve been growing in a 2x3 closet that I Have To leave the door cracked to let fresh air as I have no exhaust. My lights shut off at 6pm and I still chill in my room with the door cracked and even tho a tad of light gets in... it’s darker in there than the moon light would be, causing NO PHOTOSYNTHESIS and buds are forming beautifully NO SIGN of hermes and I’ve seen people that let WAY more light in with no problem. It depends how much light, how long, and where it’s shining. But just a small leak of light that’s not lighting up your plant should be fine

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

No this is false... think of moon light. As long as there’s no crazy light stressing your plant out causing it to start photosynthesis it will be fine. Trust me. It’s only when you have light that’s powerful enough to cause photosynthesis. Trust I’ve done SO much research. Now if a grow light were to be left on or reflecting off something bright enough to stress the plant out then I’d worry but I’ve been growing in a 2x3 closet that I Have To leave the door cracked to let fresh air as I have no exhaust. My lights shut off at 6pm and I still chill in my room with the door cracked and even tho a tad of light gets in... it’s darker in there than the moon light would be, causing NO PHOTOSYNTHESIS and buds are forming beautifully NO SIGN of hermes and I’ve seen people that let WAY more light in with no problem. It depends how much light, how long, and where it’s shining. But just a small leak of light that’s not lighting up your plant should be fine

More depends on strain and standard conditions. I have seen plants in the path of a pinhole of light through the tent fabric reverse and bigger light leaks not affect them at all.

And the moon is a reflective light source measuring only 1 candlepower (lumen). Humans have very good vision. But like you imply. Plants may not detect it.

Last edited:
Matthewstever

Matthewstever

I have very minor diffuse light leaks from my cloning room in my flower room. Probably far less than moonlight and I've never had an issue with reveg or herms.

SdDawg

SdDawg

Is Panda film light proof? Panda Film is NOT light proof.

I put brand new 6mm panda film over a window that already had closed wooden blinds on it, the window isn't even in direct sunlight, not even close to direct sunlight.

Went into my room this morning to check for light leaks. The light is coming through the entire window. Today is a cloudy day lol.

Kind of amusing to me consider ALL of these forums say, yeah build your grow tent out of panda film, its light proof. ALL over the internet. SHIT AINT LIGHT PROOF. LOL

Go into your grow room for 5 full minutes and then look at your panda film with light on it.

btw, my grow is fine. I wrote this for the guy (like me) that was searching for an accurate answer before wasting his time.

FourthCity

FourthCity

I've had light leaking into flower area from pinholes in veg tent for years with no issues. Very small amount of light though, when the flower lights are out you can fairly easily see the pinholes but none of them are bright enough to actually illuminate anything. I think if there are enough leaks that you can see your hand in front of your face then its probably too much light.

Madmax

Madmax

In simple terms dont risk it bro even if it dont happen..b wasting all that time if it fucks up and a powerbill for nothin

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
I dont think a pin hole or soft dim glow from underneath a door has ever messed up a grow for me. I'm sure it could but I got lucky.
I also have a few little red lights on either on my temp controllers or power strips that dont seem have any negative effect. No hermies or anything.
My room at one time was not 100% pitch black dark and even though it did'nt mess up any grow I eventually painted the ceilings black and layed down black flooring to help black it out.

I have had a small 5 watt cfl accidentally left on across the room prevent plants from flowering and I've had a porch light force a reveg outdoors. Plants get confused wanting to flower and veg at the same time so I'd see those funky one blade leaves and such. When that happens it's a yield killer for sure and might as well start over. They did not hermie though.

The few times I have had hermies everything seemed dialed in so I attributed it to genetics especially since other strains growing in the same space did not hermie. I think it is good for growers to question themselves, pay attention to the details, and find any mistakes they possibly made but I also think yeah we might fuck something up sometimes but that does'nt mean we caused the hermie. Just my two cents ✌

SdDawg

SdDawg

Bro’s....

think of it like this. You got your white boy (me) with blue eyes and I burn somewhat easy in the summer here in SoCal.
you got my best friend, darker skin and he doesn’t burn at all.

.... just like some strains hermie easily (burn in my analogy) and other strains don’t

I have two different strains growing at the moment.
I had like leaks, very very small in the early weeks of flowering and one of the strains all hermie but one plant. The other strain was fine.
Some strains are super super sensitive and others just aren’t.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Bro’s....

think of it like this. You got your white boy (me) with blue eyes and I burn somewhat easy in the summer here in SoCal.
you got my best friend, darker skin and he doesn’t burn at all.

.... just like some strains hermie easily (burn in my analogy) and other strains don’t

I have two different strains growing at the moment.
I had like leaks, very very small in the early weeks of flowering and one of the strains all hermie but one plant. The other strain was fine.
Some strains are super super sensitive and others just aren’t.

This is the answer^^^

dire wolf

dire wolf

I dont think a pin hole or soft dim glow from underneath a door has ever messed up a grow for me. I'm sure it could but I got lucky.
I also have a few little red lights on either on my temp controllers or power strips that dont seem have any negative effect. No hermies or anything.
My room at one time was not 100% pitch black dark and even though it did'nt mess up any grow I eventually painted the ceilings black and layed down black flooring to help black it out.

I have had a small 5 watt cfl accidentally left on across the room prevent plants from flowering and I've had a porch light force a reveg outdoors. Plants get confused wanting to flower and veg at the same time so I'd see those funky one blade leaves and such. When that happens it's a yield killer for sure and might as well start over. They did not hermie though.

The few times I have had hermies everything seemed dialed in so I attributed it to genetics especially since other strains growing in the same space did not hermie. I think it is good for growers to question themselves, pay attention to the details, and find any mistakes they possibly made but I also think yeah we might fuck something up sometimes but that does'nt mean we caused the hermie. Just my two cents ✌
And this is also something I can relate to .......

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I wrapped my grow tent in panda plastic jst to be safe.. no light comes in or out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom