Leveling Out Water Levels In Uc Buckets

• Thread starter Highatollah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Highatollah

So I have a 16 site XXL13 and the buckets at the end of the chain, farthest from the epicenter have a water level between 1-2" lower than the first buckets. How can I remedy this?

B

booboo111

is the floor level ? had the same thing on my 1st run, the floor in my apt. dropped an inch over 6 ft I made sure it was level after that
are the roots from the nearer buckets clogging the lines to the farthest ?

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

I remember a thread by I think benderdundat that he connected the first and the last bucket in the row with another pipe. Just lack of flow due to root mass. You could slow your pump down and would help also. Just circulate the system slower....

H

Highatollah

What would be a good way to clear out roots blocking the water flow? I can't just lift the plant up, should I just reach my arm down in there and pull them out of the pipe?

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

What would be a good way to clear out roots blocking the water flow? I can't just lift the plant up, should I just reach my arm down in there and pull them out of the pipe?
Yes pull roots out of pipe carefully with clean hands. Just put shims under buckets to even them out. 20$ fix that takes less than an hour

H

Highatollah

Yes pull roots out of pipe carefully with clean hands. Just put shims under buckets to even them out. 20$ fix that takes less than an hour

Pulled roots out of all the joints. Big problem was roots had grown through the end screens and into the return manifold.
Floor is pretty much flat. Concrete warehouse. Maybe not gyroscopically perfect but nothing that should affect water levels.

Think putting micron mesh over the end screens would be a good solution to prevent it from ever happening again?

Thanks.

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

Pulled roots out of all the joints. Big problem was roots had grown through the end screens and into the return manifold.
Floor is pretty much flat. Concrete warehouse. Maybe not gyroscopically perfect but nothing that should affect water levels.

Think putting micron mesh over the end screens would be a good solution to prevent it from ever happening again?

Thanks.
Not sure on the mesh idea seems like it could be a bacteria trap.but its not something i have tried. Current culture does make these cone shapped plastic screens that lock into bulkeheads preventing roots from entering pvc pipes. Not sure what they are called ill post a picture of what im talking about when i get to my system later tonight.

H

Highatollah

My cone screens were on, the roots had grown through the screen and into the manifold. They had grown all the way to the inline filter. But I got them out thanks to your insight, thanks.

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

My cone screens were on, the roots had grown through the screen and into the manifold. They had grown all the way to the inline filter. But I got them out thanks to your insight, thanks.
Ahh i see yeah personally wouldnt put another screen on but we never learn new things without experimenting. I just keep up regularly pulling roots out of lines once a week. Good luck let us know if screen works!

B

booboo111

I cut the roots after reading pros and cons of it, the runner roots will keep growing to the inline filter. Some feel cutting them is ng, stress and such. Some say cutting them is healthy, helps the rootball grow out, just reach in there and snip. No pulling roots once a week, no srceens to get clogged. Whats the point of having a system that relies on good nutrient flow when the plants keep clogging her up. There are threads about it, I chose to snip 'em

H

Highatollah

After cleaning everything out I still can't seem to figure out why buckets 6, 7, and 8 down the line are lower than 1-5. Not as bad as before though.

ri420patient

ri420patient

Thanks.
Had the same problem other day I don't use them screens they give you

JMcG

JMcG

Not all my root balls get big enough to clog the piping, it seems strain specific. On the occasions when they did start heading that direction I did chop the tail off that was being sucked into the pipe, never had an issue. I tried to keep it as minimal as possible, taking maybe 5% or less of the total rootball

JMcG

JMcG

My set up is DYI UC so no screens. Seems like they would clog the system worse than just letting some roots flow into the piping a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom