Light at the end of the tunnel (my precious...)

• Thread starter AthelR
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AthelR

AthelR

I’ve been doing a bit of research and came across this factoid (see image).
I’ve traced a couple of references you might find interesting:
https://www.leafly.ca/news/science-tech/why-does-cannabis-produce-thc

My question is this. I understand Red light stimulates bud growth and is considered optimal for the final few weeks. But ultraviolet is at the blue end of the spectrum. So how do I make sense of that?

Light at the end of the tunnel my precious
HighBuddha

HighBuddha

Ultraviolet light is invisible so I'm not sure why you think it would be blue.

beluga

beluga

Well, it's ultraviolet. It may be invisible to us - but that doesn't make it not have a color on the spectrum. To us, it's closest the blue end.

You're confusing flowering with THC production. Red spectrum light is necessary throughout all stages of growth, but especially helps to minimize the plant's stretch and thus give it good bud/flower structure. UV light stresses the plant and, in response, the plant produces more phytochemicals - THC being one of them.

AthelR

AthelR

Well, it's ultraviolet. It may be invisible to us - but that doesn't make it not have a color on the spectrum. To us, it's closest the blue end.

You're confusing flowering with THC production. Red spectrum light is necessary throughout all stages of growth, but especially helps to minimize the plant's stretch and thus give it good bud/flower structure. UV light stresses the plant and, in response, the plant produces more phytochemicals - THC being one of them.
Thanks. My confusion is that I thought I should give plants Red end spectrum light in the final stages, but ultraviolet is blue end. Do you give your plants extra UV towards the end?

beluga

beluga

Thanks. My confusion is that I thought I should give plants Red end spectrum light in the final stages, but ultraviolet is blue end. Do you give your plants extra UV towards the end?
More and more people are just moving to full spectrum with the supplementation of far red throughout all stages, then supplementing UV for flowering.

I don't personally use UV. I find the potential benefits to not be worth the risk of running it - damaging to your eyes and skin and you have to be careful about using too much on your plants. Many are starting to, to see what kind of difference it makes... I'm not too up-to-date on what they've found or if it's even noticeable.

Personally, I think genetics play a much bigger role in phytochemical production than added UV.

AthelR

AthelR

More and more people are just moving to full spectrum with the supplementation of far red throughout all stages, then supplementing UV for flowering.

I don't personally use UV. I find the potential benefits to not be worth the risk of running it - damaging to your eyes and skin and you have to be careful about using too much on your plants. Many are starting to, to see what kind of difference it makes... I'm not too up-to-date on what they've found or if it's even noticeable.

Personally, I think genetics play a much bigger role in phytochemical production than added UV.
Thanks Beluga. Can I ask you for your preferred source for growing information?

beluga

beluga

The members here 🤣
I've been poking around different books, forums, articles, seminars, etc. for about 14 years now. I guess it just kind of slowly trickles in and you pick up pieces here and there.

Sci-hub is a great resource for technical articles in the way of the scientific properties of certain things.
I'll often go from a consumer article like those from Leafly and then dig into certain key words that I find there on scholar.google then go to Sci-hub from there.

Communities like this are especially great because everyone picks up their own pieces of information and then you can have an open discussion about them. This forum has some of the most open-minded and humble members that I've witnessed, and I've been around a lot of them over the years.

AthelR

AthelR

Thanks Beluga - I think I've got it now. We're thinking of buying a UV light (one of those sold for reptile houses, not expensive) to boost THC for the last few weeks, along with the red light and some very nice high Potassium nutrient we made from Comfrey flowers.

Top Bottom