Light Dep: Design-Motors-Hand Cranks-Manual Tarps, etc

• Thread starter SunGrown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SunGrown

SunGrown

This thread is long past due.

After watching all these companies (marketing to marijuana gardeners) come about in the last decade finally putting together descent auto darkening designs with motors on timers, sensors, etc...I have decided enough is enough with the hype and stupid cost inflation for these simple designs.

The auto systems are great, but to diy your own with the same or very similar parts is doable and cheaper than they have you believe.

So my hope is this thread will hopefully serve as a way for the average guy to never consider a garage door opener again.

More info to come, I don't give a rats ass about posting links to the companies sites that manufacture these motors and cranks, but I will wait for the ok to do so.

In the meantime, please, post what you know, or what you wanna know. I am not an expert by any means, but I wanna help people succeed and spend as little as possible.

SunGrown

SunGrown

Keep in mind, light dep is nothing new in hort, it has been done since hids and ornamental flower plants have been on the market. These designs and motors etc. have been around a long time.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Im interested,ive often thought if you could come up with some kind of crank mechanism that would allow one person to cover a small greenhouse by themselves then that same mech could be adapted to a motorized version easily.Ive seen the forever flowering design and i was both intrigued by it and shocked by the price,lol.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
Ill definitely be watching. I think its ok to post links as long as you're not selling your own stuff without paying for advertising. Mods? @RIVAL79
@Texas Kid
Lets hear some ideas!

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

This is right on time for me. I just posted about this last night. I need to set up an automated horizontal blackout for a 20' x 40' area. Looking at the package deals no one seems to make anything that size.

@Seamaiden ....is it ok for @SunGrown to lay down some information about stuff like this?

SunGrown

SunGrown

A few images for now to wet the appetite:

Hand Crank:
hand_crank.jpg

Electric Crank:
motor_crank.jpg

And for Celtic, a horizontal design:
horizontal_system.jpg

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Dont just tease,makes it seem like your trying to sell something!

SunGrown

SunGrown

No bro, not me, lol, I have been warned on forums before for more ridiculous things than sharing links and I am not sure if the light dep companies sell their wares here. Give me a couple hours, I will talk to sea, she will give me the go ahead.

The manufacturers are out of china, I am in nor cal and I am a simple father and farmer.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't think we have any light depping companies advertising here. Right now I think this thread is not only fine, but great. Just be sure that the images were uploaded to the farm rather than hyperlinked, or it breaks the SSL security.

Btw, tagged, I want hubby, @pinegrovedave to see this.

SunGrown

SunGrown

I don't think we have any light depping companies advertising here. Right now I think this thread is not only fine, but great. Just be sure that the images were uploaded to the farm rather than hyperlinked, or it breaks the SSL security.

Btw, tagged, I want hubby, @pinegrovedave to see this.
I wont be posting any more images then if that rule is to be enforced, especially my own images, I use my own server and my own bandwidth....too bad cause I was gonna post a diy today on my arm system. Oh well.

SunGrown

SunGrown

Seamaiden and I have been discussing this off and on for awhile and the reason I mentioned a winch motor is because I have one in our garage doing nothing but collecting dust. :)
I am sure it will work, and depending on where a person lives and neighbors/noise, it makes sense.

Put a 12 volt timer on each of the in and out mechanism's and I would assume it will work well. Especially on a tensioned horizontal roof. Maybe bungee cords would keep the tension proper ?? Make a design, I would love to see what you come up with. I am all about recycling and reusing what you have. I just set some posts that I have used and reused for years, they are still good so I keep reusing them.

SunGrown

SunGrown

A company in Nevada City selling the exact same parts pictured above:

And the manufacturer in China for these parts that the aforementioned company sells:

Top Bottom