Light Dep: Design-Motors-Hand Cranks-Manual Tarps, etc

• Thread starter SunGrown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I need all the help possible on this! Please provide as many details as possible! I don't want to be avoiding snakes all summer again

SunGrown

SunGrown

I need all the help possible on this! Please provide as many details as possible! I don't want to be avoiding snakes all summer again
I only just recently located the motors and cranks, so this is a community project here. I think together, those of us whom buy a motor or crank or make other diy dep systems can really be a much needed reference.

My goals are:
inexpensive
easy to build
recycle/reuse when possible
and freely share what is learned

I'm making a swinging arm device today, and if I get approval from @Seamaiden to still use my own server for my pics then I will post some up here. I set the concrete and posts for it yesterday, so I am about to go put the thing together.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey buddy, that's just not up to me, it's a rule set by the site admin, you'd have to contact him. :)

SunGrown

SunGrown

its ok, Sea, you and I are good, I get it. I am a grown man and don't ask for permission often when I know I am not doing anything wrong. I asked you out of respect for the kindness and humanness you have shown me. Its all good

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Lots of excellent links. Appreciate it. Personally love the DIY stuff.
Another way to share photos etc, make a blog post then post up the link.
Thanks for sharing.

SunGrown

SunGrown

Lots of excellent links. Appreciate it. Personally love the DIY stuff.
Another way to share photos etc, make a blog post then post up the link.
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, I know that this info is needed for many folks. I have some posts on my site with pics.

M

milkman1

OK as full term is nearing the home stretch I'm planning next season's light dep. I've tried contacting Roy at grizzly hill farms for motor information but he hasn't gotten back to me. I'm either going to build a system similar to the harvest excel with griz hill motors or fab something up similar to the larger sungate systems from grobots... Anyone have any systems they'd like to share for inspiration? I'll be posting my build/prep once the fall harvest is over...

tweedy

tweedy

The Golden Arm is still one of the cooler designs I have seen. One person for a 100 foot hoop. Yes please.

Dunge

Dunge

Love this subject; thanks SunGrown.
The DIY problem is that any creative configuration you come up with will require control.
I'd like an Arduino based programmable controller that can run all the shade timing and environmental activity like fans and heaters.
Being able to orchestrate multi-step actions would open up the solution field for light dep.
Give me a robot that tend to the needs of our plants.

Last edited:
S

shadowseeds

Roller blinds... I work in the industry. Basically its a black out shade that operates horzontally and runs in a channel to eliminate light 100 percent or next to... I know there r a lot of products out there. My company has a wicked design thats double motor and at the end of the run pulls the fabric tight. Vs saggy also like a curtain.... cheaper option is a single motor with a spring roller on the other side.... much cheaper and gets the job done too... talk to your best roller shade company and they will be happy yo sell you this kind of product... quality matters tho so ask questions about the motors and such.... hardware... controls... nothing is better than somfy fyi... dont settle for lesser motors...

It sure aint gonna be cheap... 20 by 40 is huge but can be done... or in a couple sections...

BubbaG

BubbaG

FYI, old thread and looks like the OP is defunct... Oops, but good info for folks trying to research.

Light dep on a 20x24x14' high sidewall (20' at peak) was recently quoted to me by Farmtek @ 11K for a fully motorized System for a 12' sidewall greenhouse with vertical blackout curtains and a drape type deal @ every truss on the roof blackout. Dude talked like he supplies very large light dep systems on the commercial side.... if I recall correctly, once you get to a larger size light dep system - maybe 24'x96' the price point drops to something more like $9/sqft as you spread your fixed motor and control costs over a bigger footprint.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That's a fraction of what I was quoted from Forever Flowering. Nice footwork.

BubbaG

BubbaG

Cool. FYI, that price did not include the controller to integrate everything, but it would come with a simple timer control. I was also looking at the iGrow 1400 controller (2.4K) and the LinkConn software (1K).... Im on the road every week so my grow has to be truly automated.... believe it or not I proved out my system last grow where I can leave plants for 2 weeks without a soul looking in on them..... and they quoted me a pre-wired control panel at 4K.... that seemed like a rip IMO, but truly I'm not sure what all you get with that.... probably get the material for half that and wire it yourself.

Here's the quote minus the prices. All up this kit was quoted at 47K, which is more than I was quoted by Forever Flowering, but there's good reasons. ... for one thing, it's double wall polycarbonate (10 yr warranty), and a galvanized steel structure.... takes more than a box cutter to break in through that stuff..... a lot more.

F

Fastola

Ima try and run 1 or 2 10x20 carport gh this spring instead of flowering indoor. As of now im thinking 10ft pvc, gorilla tape, pand film. Pain in the ass. It'll be worth it.

DBear51

DBear51

I'm using a pool cover reel on one side of our greenhouse and trying to find a heavy duty wheel type thing I can attach to the other side of the greenhouse to allow us to mechanically move the tarp on to the top of the greenhouse. Any suggestions?

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Might try a search on flea bay for a idler wheel.

Top Bottom