• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Summer will be here before you no it!
Living in th Pacific Northwest our OD grow season is very short.
I am not experienced in light dep whatsoever. Looking for any info from fellow thcfarmers that are experienced and knowledgeable in the subject.

Is it possible to have a successful harvest by the end of August beginning of September?
So many more questions I have, I’ll start here:)

Farmer P

Farmer P

Summer will be here before you no it!
Living in th Pacific Northwest our OD grow season is very short.
I am not experienced in light dep whatsoever. Looking for any info from fellow thcfarmers that are experienced and knowledgeable in the subject.

Is it possible to have a successful harvest by the end of August beginning of September?
So many more questions I have, I’ll start here:)
I have pulled it off. The biggest problem I ran into was that I didn't have any dehuy or fan in the greenhouse and it rained then got really hot and I got that mold on one plant. Other than that it was working fine and on other grows I was fine. It was a lot of added responsibility having to go put the cover on at the same time every day and take it off every morning. I messed up a few times at least. There were a couple times when I just couldn't be home at the right time, but I saw no ill effects because of it. Because of that possibility I wouldn't try anything that is prone to herm, stick with true females (non-feminized) would probably be best.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I have pulled it off. The biggest problem I ran into was that I didn't have any dehuy or fan in the greenhouse and it rained then got really hot and I got that mold on one plant. Other than that it was working fine and on other grows I was fine. It was a lot of added responsibility having to go put the cover on at the same time every day and take it off every morning. I messed up a few times at least. There were a couple times when I just couldn't be home at the right time, but I saw no ill effects because of it. Because of that possibility I wouldn't try anything that is prone to herm, stick with true females (non-feminized) would probably be best.
What was your grow start date and harvest date?
Would supplemental light boost veg growth in the greenhouse....... say start in April? May? For a finish harvest in August?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
My plan is to build hoop houses over summer plants with the light dep strategy to harvest before mold sets in. Last summer everything had to harvest a month early because the mold set in extremely bad.

Farmer P

Farmer P

What was your grow start date and harvest date?
Would supplemental light boost veg growth in the greenhouse....... say start in April? May? For a finish harvest in August?
My start and harvest dates were and pretty much always are irregular lol. When one crop finishes the next starts. I'd have to go back and dig to find dates. But just like indoor it should work anytime. Since you are going to have electricity anyway, maybe add big fans to help keep the mold away. I've seen guys add supplemental light to get started early with no problems. Growing Green used to do that, he has threads on here and his plants ended up pretty big. When I did it I just used clones from indoor and flipped them right when they were moved out.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
This is not going to be a geeenhouse grow.
I have one shot, one harvest, with the sun god bringing his sunshine. I will be using mold resistant OD strains and try to harvest them when there at full bloom.
@Farmer P thanks for the heads up on
@GrowingGreen i shall research his work to knowledge my head.
Preparing extra early this year for maximum results.:)

Farmer P

Farmer P

Another thing to consider is insects and pests. You'll need some kind of strategy. I use diatomaceous earth until budset. In the hotter months things can get out of hand quick in a closed up greenhouse. Get some kind of box and put small holes in it so mice and ants can get in then put a mouse/rat trap and some ant bait. The box is so your dogs dont eat the poison. I used cardboard, but galvanized metal would be ideal. I make my own ant bait with peanut butter and 2% borax. Yellow and blue sticky traps and fly paper help.

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

My plan is to build hoop houses over summer plants with the light dep strategy to harvest before mold sets in. Last summer everything had to harvest a month early because the mold set in extremely bad.
as we know every summer is different ? i live in New England. to avoid early flowering i don't put my plants out before may 20th. they generally start to show around the first or second week of august. i also have a hoop house(open on each end) covered in green house plastic. just to keep the rain off the girls. a couple of circulation fans and a 8 week variety finishing the last week of september first week october. unless you can control your RH its going to be pot luck? mother nature doesn't always play nice. i have had great seasons and others that went directly into a barn fire. in my opinion i think light dep unless you go all out (circulating fans and dehumidifier ) may also be a problem with mold.

Farmer P

Farmer P

I realize this isn't exactly what you are trying to do, but I put these outside May 9th and cut them July 6th. Firs pic is inside my greenhouse during full sunlight. The 2nd pic was taken June 15th, and the final pic was taken July 7th.

Daytime dark
6 16 18
7 6 chop
Farmer P

Farmer P

Here is some pertinant info. I would think that if you're gonna add supplemental light you would have to go to at least june 21 (probably July 1st and maybe later) to keep from flowering. On the other end (if you are already in flower) You would need to cut the light starting by June 21 ( maybe earlier) to keep from re-veg.

The parenthesis are because I think sometimes the plant notices that that time is coming and starts to adjust early. That is just my hypothesis.

Take a look at the graphic below and note that, depending upon where you are latitudinally on a specific date, the hours of light/dark change. Always 12 and 12 on March 21 and September 21 all over the Earth. Always 12 and 12 on the Equator -- 365 days a year, but note the length of day and night at various latitudes on June 21 and December 21.

Farmer P

Farmer P

On further investigation, look at this chart. The green is 12 hours day/12 night. If you are at 40 degrees N you will have to supplement light a little into may, maybe more. If you are at 30 degrees you will have to add light until around june maybe more. Look at where you are on the map in the above post and look on this map where it turns yellow. I would go a little further to be safe. Hope this helps.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Another thing to consider is insects and pests. You'll need some kind of strategy. I use diatomaceous earth until budset. In the hotter months things can get out of hand quick in a closed up greenhouse. Get some kind of box and put small holes in it so mice and ants can get in then put a mouse/rat trap and some ant bait. The box is so your dogs dont eat the poison. I used cardboard, but galvanized metal would be ideal. I make my own ant bait with peanut butter and 2% borax. Yellow and blue sticky traps and fly paper help.
Last few years I’ve used cedar chips for ground-bugs works really well.
On further investigation, look at this chart. The green is 12 hours day/12 night. If you are at 40 degrees N you will have to supplement light a little into may, maybe more. If you are at 30 degrees you will have to add light until around june maybe more. Look at where you are on the map in the above post and look on this map where it turns yellow. I would go a little further to be safe. Hope this helps.

View attachment 930442
awesome man, thanks for the info!
Lots more research:)

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

View attachment 930442
i live in RI and i can put my plants out on may 20th right into veg .

Latest posts

Top Bottom