Light Green new shoots and random cupping or drooping leaves

• Thread starter nan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nan

Hello everybody, this is my first post on the site. I need advice for an issue I am facing with three plants I am growing outdoor. I have not many images right now, but I'll try to make myself very clear, since the problem is very definite. The plants are:

1) Mango Sapphire from Humboldt (germinated early - mid-April - indoor and then transplanted outdoor 13th May);
2) Blue Cheese from Dinafem (germinated indoor late May and transplanted outdoor 1st June);
3) Super Lemon Haze by Green House (germinated indoor early May and transplanted outdoor late May);

They're respectively in two 29 gallon pots and one 17.5 gallon pots. They're cropped and trained and grown in soil. We had a quite hot soil, so that I added only very few if any nutrients during the first two months, since when I did it the plants showed some leaves clawing. It was also a very hot period, and evaporation was clearly wild. I assumed they had enough of nutrients in the soil (the company mix was 800-1000gr N-P-K for 1 cubic meter of soil). The vegetative growth went well all along, the plants grew quite much and they now respectively occupy:

1) a 48' x 40' roughly square surface, as tall as 48' altogether, pot (height some 16') included;
2) a 63' x 48' roughly oval surface, as tall as 44' altogether, pot (height some 16') included;
3) a 59' x 48' roughly square surface, as tall as 51' altogether, pot (height some 13') included;

They each have some fifty/sixty vertical branches as they are trained in a SCROG-like setup (even though, we did not use the screen, only training). They are very much leafy, and I cropped quite a lot of shoots and small branches who would not reach up to the main ones to let everything below some 20 inches quite clean: no shoots from the main branches, no leaves but those who are used for training. Leaf color is in general quite good, with smooth texture, straight lines and rather uniform color. As you can see the SLH really floored the others, at least the MS, which had much more time and soil to grow in: I reckon that this could be the result of the dominant indica genetics of the latter, and the problem arises here. I'll try and be brief.

From July, 2nd, to almost the end of the month I gave no nutrients at all to any of them: only pH-ed water somewhere around 6.5, and the plants grew quite well, slowly beginning to show their feminized character in pre-flowers. Around July, 25th I noticed the base of the leaves around the growing tip at the very top of some of the branches in the MS, and also in part the growing tip itself of these, getting a light green yellowish tinge, as you can see in the attached photo, while others remained of the correct brilliant intense green. The plant also seemed to have rather slowed its vertical growth, so that I began give her some nutrients from July 28th, low dose, some 2ml /L of Plagron 100% Terra Grow (3-1-3). I already had began to give the same nutrients to the SLH some days earlier, and would begin give it to the BC some days later, because this latter too began to show some of that light green/yellow tinge on tops, plus some clear sign of P deficiency: grey-brown spots on few random leaves. In the meantime the SLH kept on growing quite well, without such changing.

I assumed I waited too much to start again giving nutrients and both plants were suffering from some general deficiency. I also had watered them with rather long intervals, 4-5 days up to then, for the pot is quite large, and to get a sufficient run-off from them sometimes I water them some 8 gallons. I began to water with a briefly shorter interval - 3 days - to supply the nutrients they most likely lacked to my understanding. In these last 15 days I watered them 6 times (5 the BC) with growing concentration of nutrients up to 5 ml / L, and have switched for the latter watering, yesterday, to Plagron 100% Terra Bloom (2-2-4), while the SLH is watered more often, for the pot is smaller, every 2 days ca, so that I watered her 7 times in the same period, not switching to Bloom nutes.

During these two weeks, the MS has began to apparently slowly recover, getting some good green in some of the affected branches, but mostly on lower shoots; it stretched still some 6-7' in height (at the tallest branch, out of tens who also grew, but I didn't measured them all); the lateral growth is strong, quite leafy, many pistils beginning to come out. As yet, in those branches who were yellowing, who did not show still decisive signs of recovery, not only at the top, but even all the way down, the pistils who come out of the calixes - either of pre-flowers or of first blossoms - grow out of it already dark red or brown, and or the calix does not come out of the stipules. The MS is beginning to produce trichomes on leaves, as yet just a few days ago I noticed that some leaves, small, of lateral growth, are drooping as if they were in over-watering: they are very few, here and there, together with some sparse, also very few twisted leaves, again of the small, lateral growth ones. Right today, then I noticed that some of the upper older and bigger leaves, instead, while keeping their color quite good, got a very light cupping of their edges.

In the same time, while the BC has grown quite much, almost closing the gap with it, it also shows some of this drooping, still sparse, and very, very much light cupping on just two or three leaves, but it got quite spread the dark red, brown pistils issue, accompanied by a rather accentuate yellowing tinge to the tops, which I first took as its genetics as blue, because we had some strong thermal excursion in the last week and some leaves were giving out some color. This yellowing though also was accompanied in the very last few days from very young leaves of growing tips coming out curved, and very light green/yellow, before getting straight and normal in growing bigger. Today, as I noticed again, although some pistils are apparently beginning to come out white and full by some few branches, in most of the branches they are dark red/brown almost all the way down to where I let them.

Today, at last, I noticed that also the SLH had some very light cupping on a dozen of upper bigger leaves, while it has grown to a quite faster pace than the MS, it is still not flowering (I assume because of its Sativa dominant genetics), and the production of pistils appear rather normal. I measure the pH of soil between 6.5 and 7, and I have a humidity tester to check the soil, whom, as of today, was very wet at the bottom and quite wet up to 3-4 inches from the surface.

I have read around in forums all the most possibilities for what could cause such issues, among which, boron deficiency, russet mites, root rot and what else. Then again, I am guessing the problem here is that, after having let them - mostly MS and BC - to the brim, or into open deficiency, and rather dry environment, I nonetheless gave them too few nutrients in the beginning (2 ml/L), so that I ended up giving water too often to supplement it and they are now suffering a bit of over-watering - this also the SLH - which causes them not to recover speedily as they could with the nutrients I supplied. We're having here some one week of high atmospheric humidity, today <70%. Could this influence their water intake and of course evaporation? I would therefore only wait some three more days and let them get a bit of that water and with it the nutrients it needs. Should I instead do something else according to you? Many thanks in advance.

Light green new shoots and random cupping or drooping leaves
N

nan

Chemistry thanks for your reply! The photo is of some days ago. What here isn't shown are the pistils coming out already dark-red brown, is that a problem? Because there are no white pistils at all on some branches, but only dark-red brown ones, and the leaves are quite less full of trichomes.

chemistry

chemistry

I didn't specify temperatures here in these days, where they're growing are in the range 70-72 at night, 78-83 daytime.

Going by your plant pic, they don't look bad on it.

Reactions: nan
chemistry

chemistry

Chemistry thanks for your reply! The photo is of some days ago. What here isn't shown are the pistils coming out already dark-red brown, is that a problem? Because there are no white pistils at all on some branches, but only dark-red brown ones, and the leaves are quite less full of trichomes.

Keep doing what your doing and in the next couple of weeks you will see them change, if they were my plants, I would be happy with how they look, and they look ok to me.

Reactions: nan
N

nan

Well, many much thanks Chemistry! I am indeed rather happy and hope they will end up most happily! :) But I am indeed a bit anxious at times, that all the work wouldn't go to waste...I will post some more photo of them from a wider angle later on, and some particulars to get some more impressions, and to keep up on how's it going.

Latest posts

Top Bottom