Light help 4x4 tent

• Thread starter Julz91
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Julz91

Hey guys I was wondering can anyone help me pick out a good light for a 4x4 tent. This is the only place to buy from in NZ thanks for your help

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hey guys I was wondering can anyone help me pick out a good light for a 4x4 tent. This is the only place to buy from in NZ thanks for your help
those are a dozzy of prices ,wow,i checked out first two pages,this i will say your new im thinking,4x4 is a great start,in my opinion a 1000 watt hid light is to much for heat and stuff and all my buddies that run them say it really best to go with a 600 watt,i agree,i run a 400 watt hid in my 2x4x6 little tent,it gives me great smoke,but also dont have all the frost we all love,that 600 is what my next purchase will be for my space,now here is your dinner,dont waste your money on them bat wing hoods,controling heat is next to impossible just saying if your not going to have the patience to keep working with it,dont buy it,get a closed hood were you can vent out your heat,i like some of the ones at first in the catalog but the bat wing hood is part of the package,it was the first one i bought and heat was a big player,the transformers are the best they can be repaired if something goes wrong,if you have any knowledge of electrical work,those ceramic bulb sockets would be a great addition and you could build your own hood,the closed hood really is the ticket to heat,you dont want to suck the air over the bulb but instead suck the heat out from the socket side with your exhaust vent going out of tent,all in all i would suggest the closed hood 600 watt combo,but damn if i would pay almost 600 bucks for it,are those prices american money,my gosh damn prices there i would be doing much more diy for my growing needs shit,this bat wing hood i got has been setting in a box for almost 5yrs,last time i used it was in the winter to heat up my utility room were all my seedlins and transplants grow for my veggie garden and also keep my little feral cat warm hahahh,she dont mind that bright ass light a bit when it 20 degrees outside

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Not sure how much shipping is but a good LED light will probably serve you well in a 4x4 tent for heat reasons. I did see a New Zealand supplier listed on hlg's website but they want 1600 for an hlg 550. IMO might be cheaper to pay shipping. I sent you some links to some good quality LED sites. But if it's that expensive I would stick with the good advice that @oldskol4evr gave ya.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I agree that 1000w would be overkill for a 4 x 4 tent and a 600 watt would be like the 3 bear... just right. Some other possibilities, as Aqua Man mentioned, would be a LED light, which takes about half the power and produces half the heat. A flat panel might fit close to the top, allowing extra height for growing. Another solution, although I've never tried it, is to get one of the newer multi-wattage ballasts that will allow you to run 1000w bulbs at 600w. I don't have experience with it, but they seem to be useful for MH/HPS in multiple wattages. The bulbs produce a lot of heat, so make sure you have good ventilation. I have also seen some sort of bulb covering/shell that keeps the heat way down...I don't know where the heat goes or much else other than it was cool enough to touch without blistering your skin.
Keep up the good work. Systems can be made or bought fairly inexpensively if you can sort out the marketing claims that a lot of manufactures use to boost sales. My ballasts are 35 year old magnetic boat anchors. Not too many frill but they have worked for decades and didn't cost much. Go for it!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks for all your help guys think I’m going to go with the hlg found one in nz. All the best on growing boys

Lol that's the exact one I found that posted about earlier .. $1600 is steep but it is a very good light and safety certified. That price though.

J

Julz91

Lol that's the exact one I found that posted about earlier .. $1600 is steep but it is a very good light and safety certified. That price though.

Everything cost a lot in New Zealand it’s all imported in and there are only a few stores are that sell. Can’t wait to start

Top Bottom