Light in a 4x6 area.

• Thread starter Kfos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kfos

Kfos

Ok I have a 1000w hps running in a 4x6 grow area and want to add more light. I have on hand 250w hos 400w hps and a 600w hps. What do I add. Do I jam the full 1600w in there or am i wasting light?It's a srog in ebb and flow with 96 plants in 5" pots. Thanks

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok I have a 1000w hps running in a 4x6 grow area and want to add more light. I have on hand 250w hos 400w hps and a 600w hps. What do I add. Do I jam the full 1600w in there or am i wasting light?It's a srog in ebb and flow with 96 plants in 5" pots. Thanks
If you have the height I would add the 600 they are only going to get to much if they get close enough. I'm an LED guy though so take this advice as talking out my ass. I don't think your gonna give to much with that though.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The problem is the different wattages require different heights. If you have a good 4 feet above the final canopy a de 1000 or 750 is the proper lamp for that space.

I run 2 600’s in a 4x7 space. It would kill in 4x6.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Same with different wattage led. Its why i think cobs spaced out properly or strips would be much better than boards mounted on the same frame.
The only thing is... and I do agree cobs are fucking nice and so are strips for that exact reason... QB's are just cheaper usually and if spaced well not like most are they are best bang for buck. But am right there with ya Ideally I would go with cobs/strips.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
The problem is the different wattages require different heights. If you have a good 4 feet above the final canopy a de 1000 or 750 is the proper lamp for that space.

4ft above the canopy? I keep my plants within 18" - 2 ft from the light. I've had no problems with too much heat on the plants that close. I only have 5 ft under the 1000w hps to begin with. If my hand can handle the heat so can the plants is my test.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

4ft above the canopy? I keep my plants within 18" - 2 ft from the light. I've had no problems with too much heat on the plants that close. I only have 5 ft under the 1000w hps to begin with. If my hand can handle the heat so can the plants is my test.

I wrote de for double ended 1000. Are you using single ended? And i want 77 degrees max at the canopy under a 1000. Without added co2 my plants seem pretty maxed with the 600 watt hps air cooled blockbusters at 18” in my room.

Kfos

Kfos

I have 4.5 ft above my canopy. Would a de 1000w be my best option?

Seraphine

Seraphine

I have all LEDs but two are much high wattage and I keep those higher up. I just keep my sativas under those lights since I have more head room. I keep my Indica/hybrids under the lower watt LEDs since they are lower to the canopy. So I guess what I’m saying is that if you have to roll with different heights, it’s not always a bad thing...

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have all LEDs but two are much high wattage and I keep those higher up. I just keep my sativas under those lights since I have more head room. I keep my Indica/hybrids under the lower watt LEDs since they are lower to the canopy. So I guess what I’m saying is that if you have to roll with different heights, it’s not always a bad thing...

Fair enough. I just wanted to point it out. For best overlap same wattage at same height would disperse the light most evenly.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have 4.5 ft above my canopy. Would a de 1000w be my best option?

I havent used one. I have low ceilings. But they are likely the highest yielding option.

I actually prefer more lower wattage lamps for coverage.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I wrote de for double ended 1000. Are you using single ended? And i want 77 degrees max at the canopy under a 1000. Without added co2 my plants seem pretty maxed with the 600 watt hps air cooled blockbusters at 18” in my room.
I missed the DE but do they put out more heat than a single socket HPS? My room is 78f lights on and it hang vertically under an umbrella reflector. This pic I have vegging plants in the middle under the light and they're about 2.5 -3 ft away

Room with light
Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

A DE Gavita 1150w is way hotter vs a SE Hortilux HPS. The IR is unreal on the DE lamps, and if you don't have at least 36-40 inches from the top of the canopy, they WILL FRY. Id say they add at least 20f in temp increase vs a SE lamp.

Id go with the 600w lamp.

You've got 24sq/ft in a 6 x 4. A 1000w Hortilux HPS is 62.5w sq/ft in a 4 x 4. The 1600w in a 4 x 4 is right around 66w-sq/ft.
I would only use Hortilux bulbs.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I missed the DE but do they put out more heat than a single socket HPS? My room is 78f lights on and it hang vertically under an umbrella reflector. This pic I have vegging plants in the middle under the light and they're about 2.5 -3 ft away

Reflector type and bulb orientation make a big difference too. You would fry your plants with that 1000 in my blockbuster but also it would only effectively light a 4x4 area like its designed to. The reflector you are using is designed to spread out the light as much as possible. But with less intensity downward.

As is your plant tops look a bit stressed compared to lower leaves. Getting a bit too much light or heat.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I lied, I just measured and the vegging plants are 2 ft from the light exactly and the flowering plant on the left is 18" to the closest buds. I'm not in a tent so heat is not contained in a small enclosed space where I could see problems arise. I've only ever bleached some buds once. I thought it was an exotic development I was excited for, until I smoked it lol fkin crap. I won't do that again.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Reflector type and bulb orientation make a big difference too. You would fry your plants with that 1000 in my blockbuster but also it would only effectively light a 4x4 area like its designed to. The reflector you are using is designed to spread out the light as much as possible. But with less intensity downward.

As is your plant tops look a bit stressed compared to lower leaves. Getting a bit too much light or heat.
The stressed is from the toxic water and low soil ph. Both have been addressed and are recovering but its not from heat or radiation ( I don't believe it is) I'd have to bust up concrete to get them any further from the light as it is,

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
18-24" is ideal for a vertical 1000w se HPS. Closer to 24" for horizontal. I wouldnt use a DE bulb in such a small area, you'll cook the room and controlling environment will become a nightmare.

In the OP's setup, I wouldnt add anything to that 1000 besides maybe some supplemental LED or even T5HO on the outsides otherwise you'll probably end up with an uneven canopy with uneven light distribution.

Ideally if you want to maximize lighting efficiency Id lose the 1000 and go with 2x 315 CMH, or maybe 2x 600w HID.

Top Bottom