Light not running, any suggestions?

• Thread starter sirshamus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sirshamus

Hello farmers, hope everyone had a merry christmas. Went to check on my girls and the light was not on. Running a Future Brite 600W HPS dual volt(running 110), 600 hps hortilux. Little axial fan is still running in ballast so I unplugged it and unscrewed the bulb, screwed it back in and plugged back in. Nothing but the ballast fan. Inspected bulb, seems like something rattled loose at the top of the bulb. Or maybe thats how they are, I really don't know. Only been using this set up since Sept. 6! Any ideas on what the problem might be? Put my 200W cfl in there for the time being.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Is there a fuse, possibly internal that is blown?

I know my Lumateks have a fuse assembly in the plug interface with the power cord.

Tex

leadplant

leadplant

I'm also having a problem with my 400w hps.
It tries to ignite but can't - makes little crackling flashes like its going to start but then gets stuck right there.
It seems worse at the start of the light cycle when the room temps are colder. (mid 50's here).

After a few manual restarts attempts, then it finally starts and is OK for the rest of cycle until the next day. I thought about replacing the ignitor and/or capacitor but thats just a guess.

Its a new bulb, but swapping with a known good bulb might be worth trying just to rule out the bulb.
Someone also recommended to do a voltage test to see if the whole ballast is wearing out. Not sure what way to go here.

P

ProGroWannabe

SirShamus....any luck on he fuse?

leadplant...definitely try the easiest things first and go from there. So yeah, try a known-good bulb, then the ignitor in the ballast.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
When you talk to the service guys at the different ballast manufaturers they will tell you that the cheap ignitors and capacitors they use are usually good for about 90 days and then you will start to experience deminished returns.

Most of the time your bulb dims or it appears that your not gettin the same results, it is the internal components to the ballast and not the bulb that is the problem.

Tex

T

Thick Smoke

might be a dead bulb. if it got bumped when it was hot could have killed it. i have done that a few times over the years.
i got a new 400 3 months ago and just relaced the bulb yesterday. somtitmes ya get a bad one.

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
Future Brite had major problems with the fuse blowing and alot of them went back to them so I think TK is on the money with the fuse thing

S

sirshamus

Well guys, I talked to a guy from future brite and he said if the fuse was blown then the lil axial fan would not be working. Thinking its my "nice" hortilux. Drove an hour and a half to the hydro store to get replacement. Damn, they charge an arm and a leg, ended up getting a less known bulb, cause the guy said digi ballasts burn brighter than the magnetic ones and it doesn't matter in a digital ballast. I checked out their hort. bulb and it did not have a metal piece of the filament wiggling around like mine does. Just hoping this bulb will hold me over to the hydro shop i ordered my hortilux from will replace it, hopefully.

S

sirshamus

The guy also said, that Eye has reported poor peformance when used with a digital ballast. They can't figure out what is going on with them. At least this is what he told me.

S

sirshamus

Threw it in and it fired right up. Must have gotten a dud hortilux. Thanks for all the helpful input.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
The guy also said, that Eye has reported poor peformance when used with a digital ballast. They can't figure out what is going on with them. At least this is what he told me.

For whatever reason the cheap generic bulbs from GE, Philips, and Sylvania seem to have better performance feedback on digital ballast.

Hortilux are known for now holding up to the digital ballast but I have never had a problem with them other than the price..

Tex

S

sirshamus

Yeah, the guy said the cheap bulbs will do what the expensive ones do in a digital ballast. Don't know if its true, but glad my girls have their sun back. Thanks Tex for keeping an eye on me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom