Light Reduction During Flower: More a matter of when than if

• Thread starter GreatWhiteBud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GreatWhiteBud

GreatWhiteBud

Hey there,

Light reduction during flower, when is a good time to reduce light?

I am planning on doing it when and if I see light burn, but if there is a good rule of thumb I would be glad to hear it!

Happy gardening!

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
did you ever notice they drink/transpire less in the last week or two?

though I gotta ask if you mean to reduce irradiance generally or maybe go 11/13 or 10/14?

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Hey there,

I am planning on doing it when and if I see light burn, but if there is a good rule of thumb I would be glad to hear it!

Happy gardening!
I don't think light reduction is a good idea, in fact, I would suggest the more light the better until it reaches deminishing returns and the plants can't use anymore,reduce the ferts,keep the air dry and the resin will flow.Just my 2 cents though.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Hey there,

Happy gardening!
Can I ask why you say when and not if? Is there data suggesting it helpful? Im more less curious as to what your data has shown.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Can I ask why you say when and not if? Is there data suggesting it helpful? Im more less curious as to what your data has shown.
Hi. Give a plant everything it needs is all you can do.I don't have data to confirm, just going by personal experience growing as I have tried many methods over the years . If you limit light all other factors will be limited as well,the plant can't process 100% if something is not up to optimum. I used to flower with halide for 4 weeks to limit stretch then add an hps and move the lights back and forth once a week till finish or move the plants around and sometimes use a dehumidifier to increase resin especially broad leaf plants as they can mold. Grow a clone in direct sunlight and then one in shade or less hours and you will see the difference. Also close to 12 hours light is required for reaching potency potential. Harvest during the brightest and hottest part of the day if possible to try to get the plant to push resin. A good read is marijuana botany,or mel franks book,they go into maturation and requirements. They are probably available in pdf online. Good luck on your grow enjoy your flowers.

GreatWhiteBud

GreatWhiteBud

Good info! Thanks all a lot to think about!

I found that the last 2 grows of mine my plants start to get a little light burnt in the last couple weeks of flower, so my question is;

Does light reduction work? I understand raising the lights gradually during the stretch is good practice, however if light burn becomes inevitable is it better to reduce light to slow growth?

steamroller

steamroller

Good info! Thanks all a lot to think about!

I found that the last 2 grows of mine my plants start to get a little light burnt in the last couple weeks of flower, so my question is;

Does light reduction work? I understand raising the lights gradually during the stretch is good practice, however if light burn becomes inevitable is it better to reduce light to slow growth?
My plants seem to be off the rails for their last weeks alive .
I posted in my thread .
I don't think what my plants are doing is light related . It is happening to lower leaves .
I did turn two of my lights to 80% instead of raising them .
Is what you saw happening at top of canopy ?
I also would not worry a whole lot about leaf condition over buds in final weeks .
I may be wrong ,I asked for help or input in my thread .
Love to learn .
Strong believer in cutting during the hottest part of day ,if outdoors preferably 3 days of hot sun .

growsince79

growsince79

Hey there,

Happy gardening!
I start reducing light about the same time I start reducing nutes. My buds always seem to be more terpy and sticky when they get less at the end. Also the buds under big fan leaves are always stickier than the top buds or defoliated buds.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

My plants seem to be off the rails for their last weeks alive .
I posted in my thread .
I don't think what my plants are doing is light related . It is happening to lower leaves .
I did turn two of my lights to 80% instead of raising them .
Is what you saw happening at top of canopy ?
I also would not worry a whole lot about leaf condition over buds in final weeks .
I may be wrong ,I asked for help or input in my thread .
Love to learn .
Strong believer in cutting during the hottest part of day ,if outdoors preferably 3 days of hot sun .
Pics? It is normal for plants to use mobile nutrients from lower leaves upward near the end of flowering, especially if you cut fertilizers and flush. Thus a normal plant should have yellowing fan leaves starting near the bottom. Nitrogen is being pulled from lower leaves.

Light burn issues are going to be on the top layer, and leaves partially in shadow should have parts that look bad and (shaded) parts that look much better.

Flowers want bright light! But as always, the question becomes 'what are the limits'? As the plants stretch, they are also getting closer to the light. To maintain the right brightness you either raise the light or dim it or both.

That said, a plant that is properly watered and fed can stand brighter light than it could if underwatered with improper nutes. So if you are running at the edge with nutes and lighting, parts of the plants are going to go over the edge and start showing problems in some parts, not in others.

And "I turned my light to 80%" means nothing. How bright is it? That's your job to figure out, not ours. You need a proper meter, and they are not cheap. If you are going from a chart, then look at it and tell us the estimated PAR.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

There is no way you can have too much light indoors,it's impossible. The heat produced is a different topic but as far as light goes,there is no way you can even get close to a bright sunny day indoors

growsince79

growsince79

There is no way you can have too much light indoors,it's impossible. The heat produced is a different topic but as far as light goes,there is no way you can even get close to a bright sunny day indoors
I disagree 1000%. You put your led 4" away at 60f and your plant will fry from light not heat.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I disagree 1000%. You put your led 4" away at 60f and your plant will fry from light not heat.
Well I han 8 1000 w halides then switched to hps in my garage with adequate cooling and never burned anything . I have plants in my backyard by my house with very little wind flow and not one burned leaf. I have never used led though.
20200918 192453

growsince79

growsince79

Well I han 8 1000 w halides then switched to hps in my garage with adequate cooling and never burned anything . I have plants in my backyard by my house with very little wind flow and not one burned leaf. I have never used led though.View attachment 1234363
I agree, with hid the temps will damage before the light will- not so with leds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom