Light Shopping

• Thread starter Highkev
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Highkev

I have a 15*5 area plus room to walk completely around. ceilings are about 7-8 foot . I was considering the spider type lights or cob lights or quantum’s. Can’t make up my mind but I need the highest of par levels all the way to the edges. Cause I’m looking to improve weight. Any suggestions for this noob would be humbly greatfully appreciated. I need more weight and cheaper light bill and better weed.

Dummy buds

Dummy buds

I'm running the fluence spiderX and they effectively cover a 4x4 pattern, but have good par at 5x5.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I read where timber lights has started recomending cobs for most applications. They still sell boards but took them off their site and were asked why on riu.

They said coverage and penetration are better in most cases.

And you have plenty of height.

H

Highkev

So if I bought cob how many would I need. I don’t understand these lights at all. Do you have to put them together yourself? What else do I need to know being a complete noob to cobs

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
The only problems I can think of with COB is the heat they tend to produce and the fact they focus the light on a smaller area.

So while penetration is surely going to be better you’d have to run the lights higher which would further reduce efficiency so I’m not sold they are the way to go.

I do think leds pointed in each direction would solve some of the penetration issues with quantum boards but can’t confirm it as I don’t know any quantum board manufacturer currently offering that option.

Or possibly a hybrid setup with both lights might be a way to go. Quantum in the middle and cobs angled around the perimeter. Just thinking out loud.

H

Highkev

The only problems I can think of with COB is the heat they tend to produce and the fact they focus the light on a smaller area.

So while penetration is surely going to be better you’d have to run the lights higher which would further reduce efficiency so I’m not sold they are the way to go.

I do think leds pointed in each direction would solve some of the penetration issues with quantum boards but can’t confirm it as I don’t know any quantum board manufacturer currently offering that option.

Or possibly a hybrid setup with both lights might be a way to go. Quantum in the middle and cobs angled around the perimeter. Just thinking out loud.
I’m loving the combo idea

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Why not mix em up. The best hid rooms had overhead hps with bare mh hanging down with the canopy.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Cobs are what i use. 18 cxb1830. Each run at 25 watts. These are mounted on 3 aluminium slabs (heatsinks) 100cm, 6 on each. I mostly ran 2 bars at any given time in a 3x4 area, except the first 3 weeks of bloom. I can honestly say, they are very good.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/a-decision-needs-to-be-made.100544/

The downside is with these type of designs you have to put it together yourself. There are plug and play of course but those are usually very overpriced or low quality.

Don’t turn your back on blurples either. Some companies produce quality blurples and they work well. But again they’re over priced when they are high quality.

If you have the patience and the ability, i’d opt for a diy.

I guess the question is; whats your budget?

H

Highkev

Cobs are what i use. 18 cxb1830. Each run at 25 watts. These are mounted on 3 aluminium slabs (heatsinks) 100cm, 6 on each. I mostly ran 2 bars at any given time in a 3x4 area, except the first 3 weeks of bloom. I can honestly say, they are very good.

The downside is with these type of designs you have to put it together yourself. There are plug and play of course but those are usually very overpriced or low quality.

Don’t turn your back on blurples either. Some companies produce quality blurples and they work well. But again they’re over priced when they are high quality.

I’m looking to save money but I want to make sure I have the best possible light par readings across the canopy to produce the most I can with the space I got. I can do it myself but I will need much guidance lol. Where did u get your aluminum slabs to make your room? Do I make one massive aluminum slab or do I make multiple aluminum slabs? How to connect them all and why not confuses me. Im in no rush so I want to make sure I get this right as the center of my ups gets high par readings and buds are always the biggest and best looking in the high par range. Thanks for all your help farmers

H

Highkev

Would u add a quantum to the middle of your cobs like jwm2 said

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I’m looking to save money but I want to make sure I have the best possible light par readings across the canopy to produce the most I can with the space I got. I can do it myself but I will need much guidance lol. Where did u get your aluminum slabs to make your room? Do I make one massive aluminum slab or do I make multiple aluminum slabs? How to connect them all and why not confuses me. Im in no rush so I want to make sure I get this right as the center of my ups gets high par readings and buds are always the biggest and best looking in the high par range. Thanks for all your help farmers

Tons of info here. Click the menu box.

http://ledgardener.com/

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Would u add a quantum to the middle of your cobs like jwm2 said

Yes i would. I would make my middle 2 rows out of strips or boards. But i cannot comment about their ability to grow as i have not used them yet. Seems promising on paper for sure.

There is a simple conversion factor you can utilize to estimate the par value based on lux. Or you can get a quantum meter. Anyway, when i use a lightmeter and apply the conversion factor when all 3 are lit, from 12-14 inches i get 800-1000-800 under the lights. Very equal distribution overall. That may not be 100% accurate but i can see that my plants are loving it. Not only cannabis but my tomatoes too.

Aluminium slabs are in the tent. 100cmx3 hanging from the bars. 6 cobs mounted on each and the drivers are outside the tent. You can also utilize 2 fan per heatsink and they will run even cooler. With this setup when breeze dies it gets about 45C on the back of the cobs.

I just harvested this and more using these lights and this is enough for me :) This could even go a week more maybe. Its a blueberry.

40A1A371 D8C2 4D98 91AE A34C3D41ED30

Last edited:
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
To be perfectly honest I don’t think you can go wrong with either quantum or cobs. Both are similar technologies utilizing similar spectrums and just executing it a tad differently. Either or and you’ll be thrilled.

Nugg

Nugg

I run led.. about 5 yrs.now..i like the Mars hydro11 so far..I have 2-1600w..6×6 grow... viparspectrums in the other room..I want to sell all 5 and buy 2more Mars...they came out with the epistar series...it has curved sides.

Top Bottom