light spreaders?

• Thread starter bicycle racer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bicycle racer

i would like opinions on light spreaders and there effectiveness or lack there of in maximizing usable light and reducing heat directly below the lamp any input appreciated im considering installing one on a 600w hps. thanks.

A

Aerio

Not exactly sure what you mean by light spreaders, but I assume you mean the metal shield thing above the light.

If that's the case then think of it like this. Light rays can be reflected and if theres nothing to be reflected by they will go else where. So when you have a shield above the light the light that normally would be going up into the elsewhere is now being reflected down onto your plants. You can adjust the reflectors to or at least most of them.

G

goleboy

totally fukin wack..i bought 2 of em...put em on fired up the 2k HID and all the sudden my middle bitches(who were loving their light source) were sunddenly shaded..the spreader didnt "spread" anything...it litterally cause a dark spot directly below the bulb, which is uusually the best area for maximum lumen exposure....imo i wouldnt waste the $25 or whatever they cost...just get a little clip on fan and hook it to your reflector and point it at the bulb if you arent using a sealed air cooled hood. But whatever you do dont buy a spreader and block your bitches light...they will not be liking

M

MASSES 420KING

if you have a gull wing style hood then imo you dont need a light spreader i personally can drop my 600s down to with in 10 inches with out heat build-up but i also have a fan trained directly at the lights to blow the hot air away from canopy and colas also if you do this my way you may start bleaching your leaves and maybe even tip top of cola dont worry your not burning them theres just so many lumens pouring down that the plant starts to get bleachedout

M

MASSES 420KING

Not exactly sure what you mean by light spreaders, but I assume you mean the metal shield thing above the light.

If that's the case then think of it like this. Light rays can be reflected and if theres nothing to be reflected by they will go else where. So when you have a shield above the light the light that normally would be going up into the elsewhere is now being reflected down onto your plants. You can adjust the reflectors to or at least most of them.

your talking about a reflecter not a spreader a spreader goes under the light and attaches to the mogul base and its supposed to diffuse the hot spot and spread usable light to farther reaches of your grow room

B

bicycle racer

so not really useful for me i have an air cooled bat wing style reflector cooled with a 430 cfm inline fan with an added fan in the room blowing through the tops of the plants. as of now with ambient temps in cali in the 60s to mid 80s im having no heat issues my tent stays at ambient temps. im just worried about summer as i do not have air conditioning in the grow room. im in a 76*76*76 grow tent i know its big for a 600w but i may upgrade to a 1000w or second 600w. so anything that can be done to reduce heat is good. thanks for the replies any other input welcome.

A

Aerio

your talking about a reflecter not a spreader a spreader goes under the light and attaches to the mogul base and its supposed to diffuse the hot spot and spread usable light to farther reaches of your grow room

ah okay thanks now i know:smiley_joint:

1stimer

1stimer

I thought about buying them because I am having that problem. I have 1000k's and It seems like one plant under each light turns yellow and I have to keep rotating my plants. I think they are called defusers if I'm not mistaken.

M

MASSES 420KING

I thought about buying them because I am having that problem. I have 1000k's and It seems like one plant under each light turns yellow and I have to keep rotating my plants. I think they are called defusers if I'm not mistaken.

theres heat diffusers and light spreaders to me they look the same and probably are

L-Immortal

L-Immortal

Yeah the light/heat diffuser aka the super spreader works great. I have em on all my 1000's and the girls love it, the only way I wouldnt use it would be if was was runnin vert bulbs.

S

SSHZ

I bought 2 for my 1000 watters and they are crap. I now take a piece of silver foil, 3-4 inches wide. Poke a number of small holes (size of a pencil eraser) in it and place on top of your glass shield (if u have them), just below the bulb. It worked fine for me.......

B

bicycle racer

so it seems mixed results and opinions mostly negative. im under a 600 for summer/spring and may use a 1000 in fall/winter i do have a light mover so maybe the super spreader is not needed as the plants get a chance to cool every few seconds.

P

PuFFnNugg

L-Immortal I assume your using the large super spreader for a 1000. Do you have any experience with 600's? What size spreader would you recommend for a 600w hortilux? Are you using a gullwing hood? Do you think the Equilizer might work better on a horizontal reflector, or would you stick with the spreader? Anyone that could answer these questions would be a saint, want to order asap. Thanks

Goleboy what diffusers where you using and what size? Wondering if you went to big. I'm extremely interested in getting them w/ sog and scrog it will be extremely beneficial not to have a hot spot to create uneven growth in the canopy.

Top Bottom