Light That Can Mimic Sun Intensity/Spectrum

• Thread starter paradoxlsot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redshift75

Now i want a Pink Floyd Laser Light Show in my growroom. ;-)
I think what they're saying is that they can put 2.6 KW of power to 225sqft, which no other light can. I don't know, I've seen a lot of professional lights websites and they definitely have similar websites.

Not disagreeing with you just speaking to plasma lighjts.

The gavita is rated for 240sq ft. The power im assuming is running the light at max voltage 230 at max power roughly. If i use the most off the shelf and most likely reference for the light they use. the Lifa STA-40 series In terms of Gavita is pushing theres 8.66 amps for a longer life. But if you wired it 220 wouldnt matter. it on paper would reach that level. Im assuming their specs are 100% them at the highest rating they can be run.

sta 40 light power specs.
  • Input Voltage:100 - 277 Volt (+/- 3%)
  • Input Current 1:1.36 Ampere at 230 Volt
  • Input Power 1:300 Watt (+/- 3%)
  • Apparent Power:306 VA (+/- 3%)
  • Power Factor:>0,98
  • THD:<10%
that puts them right in range for an 11 amp and change draw from a plasma. In terms of plasma lights. Thats not great for $6500 for, under $2000 i could surpass their light with 1 light then buy it 3x over. Then id have to spend about 50-100k to build a building big enough to truly use a plasma and benefit.

With the fact more commercial entities are investing in plasma. The price of plasma lights is dropping significantly. Like big screen tv's 10 years ago. $10k is now $200 on clearance.

I agree lots of lights websites are BS. To their metric if i grabbed enough lights and pumped enough power i could surpass that light. But the goal is efficiency from single units. We dont want 1000 crappy lights when we can run 2 good ones.

The real benefit to plasma grow lights so they say..... is you can have the plants touch them Not that you would want to that would be stupid. But the light itself doesnt generate heat as plasma lights are non heat generating for light itself.... but the massive drivers and hood. according to gavita their plasma lights are low heat. I mean so if we go away from the side of massive power draw like stage lights and massive heat. Gavita for once may have a legit option in play thats priced the best... for once. If i compare the 2. Where their design of 8 amps and change may be the sweet spot of efficiency to drive some massive lights without pushing them to be miniature furnaces. Which temperature and losses due to temp and inefficiency are largely why they havent been made commercially viable yet and widely adopted. Right now we are in "early adopter" phase of plasma.

I also like how gavita does it properly with the verbage.
" Growing in indoor conditions without sunlight not only requires a good climate, but also a good quality light. Though one can grow successful under HPS alone, or a combination of HPS and MH, it is still not the full spectrum our sun delivers. The Gavita Pro 300 LEP produces light with a spectrum similar to that of the sun. "

For the record plasma lights are awesome and they will be in lots of growers futures at somepoint. That point is not now in my opinion. Im imagining 2-3 gens from now price will average around $1000usd or less for 2-3x the rating we currently have. or at least higher efficiency. But for now id say let the billion dollar corporations and cities invest in the technology so it hits the point we see true benefit. Dont get me wrong id rock one of their lights right now. But i would not pay for it. for $6500 id buy soooooooooooooooo many other lights to blend.

all my random rant aside. Im more commenting to the point is other Plasma lights on the market and anyone with any real claim is going to be largely unchallenged due to lack of technical data and evidence backed by independent 3rd party review. But even without that. I know if i had the right grow a plasma light would be the most cutting edge advanced way i could go if i had money to burn. There is another company i saw beginning of year when i bought my LED's that also had a plasma. There's was built and designed to be completely supplemental to HPS honestly i do believe that route will end up the most beneficial to a few more gens. Best to offset by slowly adding and replacing vs a new outright setup. Just my thoughts.

Again nothing negative to anyone or anything. Im just adding my viewpoint to the discussion. Even if massively scattered thoughts.

R

redshift75

also everything i said about plasma in our future is based on the fact that nothing else has generations that surpass or make comparable. like LED lights. or some other new form of driven light thats not widely in play. Most technology gets shelved, not because it doesnt work. But because something proves to be more beneficial and more potential for achievement and most of all. Make more money! By time plasma hits viable for consumers. LED lights could be 100x better than they are. IM still going to bank they will only be truly beneficial for commercial growers with large numbers of plants to grow. I dont see plasma being micro sized in the next 10 years for the closet grower.

R

redshift75

I talked with a friend and he educated me on LEP for growing. Apparently my usage of them in stage lighting is polar opposite to them in Grow lighting. even then yes they were cooler than equivalent by a lot. but i was comparing wattage/lumens in the assumption. Drivers and bulbs have gone down in price significantly since their introduction. This is them being low cost. Apparently these were big on the scene 10 years ago then died out. As far as plasma lights. Cause they apparently didnt pan out as much as claims were made. Would be only logical conclusion we both had to why it was not adopted. It could have been knocked out by advancements in LED lighting.

I just want to correct that i was wrong on them being hot. Apparently the low usage Luxim ones never got that warm. Drivers and heatsinks dont get as hot anymore either. But they were only equivalent to like a 1000w hps. He also told me they havent been in business, they went to resilient lighting and had a parent company and none of em seem to be around during our discussion. So could be, being produced by someone who bought out the assets. thats why we dont see the plasma lights as it seems there were never many adopters. So apparently there are some old units that are unicorns. We'd have to look into posts of yester year to see the results. i found one on ebay for $300 im going to purchase to check it out thats new in box.

He said they were amazing lights, but not amazing for the price lights.

paradoxlsot

paradoxlsot

Yea I mean the main company name is azentive, and if you go on their website they make lights for stadiums, hospitals, and bioreactors. I just went on their website, and I don't know what they're doing, but the main azentive website looks like some shit.

R

redshift75

Yea I mean the main company name is azentive, and if you go on their website they make lights for stadiums, hospitals, and bioreactors. I just went on their website, and I don't know what they're doing, but the main azentive website looks like some shit.
oh yeah that explains it. cause thats where its big. I setup stuff like that. Well im the guy that tells you if the setup is good to go and safe. Or i was. Im a farmer now!!! lol :) Lots of lab/tech stuff mostly. helping make specific systems work for specific setups. I called it people with money being pains in the ass.

Jasmine_2021

Jasmine_2021

Somebody has tried plasma lamp recently ?

I find this. -> Here

1'100 W lamp 😍

I think this is best spectrum that mimic the sun (UVA+B, visible, infrared and far-infrared) that I never seen.

That's seems to be real UVA+B and real infrared and far-infrared, not fake infrared that LED said.

What do you think ?

Top Bottom