Lighting layouts, 600's or 1000's and design

• Thread starter Mr Celsius
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mr Celsius

Ohayou gozaimasu!!

My first post here at THC! :party0044:

I've been around the block and few times and some may know me over at Icmag or the cabana.

I already own a number of 600w's and am just attempting to clarify the reasoning for using 1000w bulbs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason for using 1000w bulbs is because the plants are large and we are attempting to penetrate the interior of the canopy with more 'force'.

If so, I can ditch the 600s, but if for some reason the 600's will work, please chime in.

I've noticed that people have been shying away from the classic krusty 10x10 build of:

Plants = x
Lights = O

O x O
x O x
O x O

and have seemed to switch to:

x O x
O x O
x O x

Now I understand that with the newer version, you're getting 5 additional plant that is surrounded on all sides, but the corner plants are only being hit by light on 50% of their surface.

So total percentage of the plants being hit by direct like in the krusty system is 75% average.

In the more modern version I'm seeing, it is 60% (correct me if I'm wrong, please).

Also the krusty system used 600'a in the corners and a 1000w MH in the middle, whereas the newer system seems to use 1000w's (not concrete).

All in all, I'm wondering if the newer design yields more just because of the sheer numbers (with a cost of more electricity), or if the old krusty layout is similar yields with more efficiency.

Thank you very much! :sun

mikeross

mikeross

why not run 600's on the outsides?

When I expand my room to 25 sites so that each plant gets hit my 3-4 light I plan to achieve it with 600's as filler lights. Its a 30x14 room with 25 sites, 12-1ks and 13-600's

DD's 44lb run was with a mix of 1ks and 600's... all his outside plants where getting hit with 1 or 2 600's per plant.

I personally like the 5 plant 4 light setup. I think you can get a way higher GPW that way rather than running 4 plants and 5 lights.

I know you from icmag and you actually helped me with some ventilation diagrams awhile ago. Welcome to the farm... I'm somewhat of a noob here myself.

mikeross

mikeross

had my best with the top config

nice handle name mr C

Obviously your gonna get the most weight per plant with the 5 light setup but you will get the most weight per watt used if you go with more plants... 4 light setup.

With the 4 light setup you would only have to average 1.6lbs per plant to hit 2lbs per light which is doable with kush strains in mpbs. Many mpb guys are hitting over 1.5 pounds with kushes and thats not with 4 1k's around each plant... more like 3.

If you where to run the 5 light config you would need to hit 2.5 pounds per plant to hit 2 per light which I dont think anyone has done yet. Even DD said he was averaging only 2 with his kushes.

Take my current setup. I am running 14 bins with only 7 1k. If I hit 1 lb per plant average which I think I may be able to pull off first round I hit 2 pounds per which is amazing in my opinion with a kush strain. The extra space where I should have 1k's per DD's room specs are gonna be filled in with 600's. I think these 600's added to my current setup with the 1k's is gonna be the perfect mix of lighting and layout if all you care about is max GPW which mean more to me than pounds per tree.

M

Mr Celsius

Thank you all for the responses and warm welcome.

With the 5 light setup, you actually do use 4 600's HPS in the corners and a 1000w MH in the middle, alla Krusty style.

I actually added it all the averages up, and each setup is actually covering the exact same amount of plant material with light. 75% x 4 = 300 and 60% x 5 = 300.

I can see the argument for more plants = more weight, but is that quality of that weight and the costs of the extra electricity even worth it? I can see little popcorny buds that would be good for hash or food. : /

I will not be running any kushes, as I feel they are low yield and generic. I have some special strains up my sleeve.

mikeross

mikeross

Thank you all for the responses and warm welcome.

With the 5 light setup, you actually do use 4 600's HPS in the corners and a 1000w MH in the middle, alla Krusty style.

I actually added it all the averages up, and each setup is actually covering the exact same amount of plant material with light. 75% x 4 = 300 and 60% x 5 = 300.

I can see the argument for more plants = more weight, but is that quality of that weight and the costs of the extra electricity even worth it? I can see little popcorny buds that would be good for hash or food. : /

I will not be running any kushes, as I feel they are low yield and generic. I have some special strains up my sleeve.

I didnt know you meant to add the 600's to a 5 1k setup. Im all 4 that... would be some huge tree's.

M

Mr Celsius

I didnt know you meant to add the 600's to a 5 1k setup. Im all 4 that... would be some huge tree's.

My apologies, I must not be making myself clear.

In the 5 light setup, 4 of the lights are 600w hps, that reside in the corners of the room. In the center of the room, you actually have a 1000w MH; for a total of 3600w in a 10'x10' area and 4 plants.

Krusty used to have that system layout and the layout with.... dang can't quiet remember, but it was much larger. 1000's down the middle and 600's on the backs.

I still haven't seen a diagram of how double layout his system. Although I know it is much larger then a 10'x10' room.

Again, thank you for your help. :banana1sv6:

aleYarok

aleYarok

600s will work but of course u will get bigger plants with 1000s
check out heath robison @ icmag in the hydro section, he uses 600s

B

BioShock

im in a 10x13 room and plan to do
o
x x
o o o
x x
o
have got a 1k hps for the middle, and 2 600 hps for sides, a 400 mh and one last 250 hps (what i have accumilated from 2 years of growing) got 3 ton of a/c (split) coming soon.
I am going to grow NL does anyone have an average veg time a could use as a guide? will be in mpb (diy) 8000L/h pump, co2, humidifier. etc..
im going to get em ready in a wilma 4 and then the wilma pots drop in to 20L buckets which sit in the 40L storage bins.

my view to lights is after this grow i want to use 5 hps 1kw with no mh

would anyone hazzard a gues as to what could be achieved (yield) with my set up? i know i wont get it dialed in 1st time :)
thanks
BioShock

mikeross

mikeross

My apologies, I must not be making myself clear.

In the 5 light setup, 4 of the lights are 600w hps, that reside in the corners of the room. In the center of the room, you actually have a 1000w MH; for a total of 3600w in a 10'x10' area and 4 plants.

Krusty used to have that system layout and the layout with.... dang can't quiet remember, but it was much larger. 1000's down the middle and 600's on the backs.

I still haven't seen a diagram of how double layout his system. Although I know it is much larger then a 10'x10' room.

Again, thank you for your help. :banana1sv6:

I honestly dont know anything about the krusty method but I am familiar with what the buckets look like. Perhaps he was using lots of 600's because the size of the plants. Are these krusty buckets producing 6' wide plants like mpbs are?

Plants get a whole lot bigger in a 27 gallon container then a 5 gallon krusty bucket. Sorry if I am thinking of a different type of design. I am assuming these krusty buckets look similar in size to waterfarms?

What did Krusty have to say about why he runs those 600's. I am sure someone has asked hehe.

mikeross

mikeross

Electricity cost should never be an issue IMO because we all know the cost of electricity per KWH and we all know the cost of a pound of AAA buds. Electricity cost and consumption are to very different things.

Kushes generic... so are fake tits but we all love em. I love me some kush, plus anything less than amazing around these parts sits around.

I really want to run some bubba and OG in my system. After that I want to find one of those special crosses that has a nice balance of everything. There is a old hashplant cut that was big around my area years ago. I would love to get my hands on that but none of my friend have this cut anymore. So what types of strains you planning to run... In your opinion what do you think would do well in a tree grow.

Top Bottom