Lighting Question.......t5 Vs. Mh

• Thread starter PapaPurple
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PapaPurple

Hi there everyone I'm new to this forum, but not new to growing. I recently built a very modest enclosure with some reflective on the sides to help capture as much light as I can. I have a 4'x2' T5 VHO running in there for my veg. Now, I'm in Week 3 of veg with some good inner node spacing, but I'm not happy with the overall size and vegetative growth. I used to run a 1,000 MH for veg but they grew out of control, so I figured to slow that process and get the right speed of vegetative, the T5 was the way to go and the higher lumens of the VHO would still get me dense growth. Do any of you have experience with the T5 in veg? Or should I just move over to the 600w MH before my plants get stretchy? The strain I'm running is Purpleberry. Grand daddy purple crossed with Blueberry. So it's predominantly indica and very thick leaves and dense growth. They are about 14 inches now. Thanks guyz

Lighting questiont5 vs mh
socalval

socalval

I used to do all my veg under a 4 bulb t5. This fall i started a new round of sprouts under a 400 Mh 20hrs on vs the t5 24/7. Turned the t5 off and put my mothers in the corner. The growth is an amazing 18-21 inch mini trees (not topped )12 plants 40 days from seed in 5 gallon bags took 4 in cuts from the lowers and transplanting to 10s with hoops flipping next week. I know the proof is in the pics ill be back in the morning with those.

P

PapaPurple

Very nice....I'm thinking the 8 bulb is probably putting out the same lumens my 4 bulb VHO is putting out. Just smaller area and less bulbs. It does run pretty hot though. So I can't get it too close to the plants, but it might do me some good to raise the plants a little......so overall do you guys think I should flip them over to an MH or just keep using the T5 and be patient. It's doing the job, just much slower and I don't want to sacrifice inner node spacing for wattage.

Billyboat

Billyboat

Ceramic metal halide...it's a 315w setup that crushes any 8 bulb t5 with less watts and more output.

Google sun system lec 315

Billyboat

Billyboat

That thing is like $400???? I could easily buy 2- Digital ballasts and some Digilux bulbs for that price. Yikes!!!
Ya they aren't cheap, but if ya can afford them, they are well worth it.

sixstring

sixstring

Hey wassup SS, how do you like the Quantum Badboy vs a regular 8 bulb t5 like hydrofarms? Is it worth the extra dough?
i have 2 of the 12 bulb units now and one is at least 3 years old.i really like them,its more of a square footprint with the 4 extra bulbs,and they work on 240volt which i believe keeps the ballasts cooler cause these things aint as hot as my hydrofarm 8 bulbers.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I think billyboat has the right idea with the CMH!Just have to say if your going to run 12 bulb t5s or even multiple 8 bulbs(each bulb=54watts) their reaches a point when you can just as efficiently run a 600-1000w ballast with the same amps.For me the t5s get me through the cutting to rooted good and growing stage then its under whatever im going to flower with for at least half of veg,I beleive the CMH can replace all that more efficiently,i havent done it yet but its coming.

sixstring

sixstring

Well my veg room is like 11 x 12 x 8h bedroom with 1.5k of t5 and some cfl and no special a/c.i did cut in 1 additional floor vent and i run my furnace fan in the always on postion to keep air flowing into that room.my a/c does the whole house and I'm sure in the summer my veg makes it cycle more often but not by much.once we hit about 68f outside I.just crack a window in the kitchen and im good, and during winter my veg helps heat the house.think my gas bill ave around 30 bucks in winter.before I vegged in here it was about 80 bucks in the winter for gas (natural).
I tried 2 x 600 mh in that room, it works but it gets hotter by alot and dont cover the space like t5.
this just works real well for my perpetual style.
today its 40f outside and we have the kitchen window cracked just a bit, maybe 1 inch.house is 68f and veg is 74f

sixstring

sixstring

I should add that I do have a carbon filter hung at the ceiling on a t stat that pulls out the heat when temps hit 78f.just a 6in vortex runs that, blowing up to the attic with full length ridgevent.

mr roboto

mr roboto

i have 2 of the 12 bulb units now and one is at least 3 years old.i really like them,its more of a square footprint with the 4 extra bulbs,and they work on 240volt which i believe keeps the ballasts cooler cause these things aint as hot as my hydrofarm 8 bulbers.
I need to pick some up I didnt know they ran off of 240!!

sixstring

sixstring

I need to pick some up I didnt know they ran off of 240!!
Yeah they will run off both 120v and 240v.just have to use a dif cord Is all.i got mine at plantlightinghydroponics.com so if your close to ohio the shipping will be reasonable.i run a good mix of bulbs in mine,6 x 65k , 4 x 26k and 2 x 10,000 kelvin plants seem to like it :)

Top Bottom