Lighting Question

• Thread starter 420budz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420budz

420budz

Hello all. So I'm new to growing so please excuse my ignorance. My question is lighting. I've had issues so far with pants growing tall then maxing out at about a foot with no side growth. So that makes me think I have root issues. On other plants I have plants sagging and leaves tacoing. I have 4 seedlings that seem to be doing great. I have them under enough light as they're only about 5 inches tall. I've added cal mag and nitrogen but the issues still prove to be an issue. I guess one thing at a time. Will this light be enough to sustain 6 plants? Thanks for any info

www.amazon.com/dp/B00NMX5EGC/ref=asc_df_B00NMX5EGC5120688/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00NMX5EGC&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198106292047&hvpos=1o20&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17772314326127877738&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029097&hvtargid=pla-318912164809

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

taco sounds like to hot and lots of stretching your light might be to far away

what light are u using now

sorry I don't know about t5 so not going to give tips on the light its self

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

also that light says 20,000 lumens powerful grow system my hps is 110k lumens but it runs so much hotter

420budz

420budz

also that light says 20,000 lumens powerful grow system my hps is 110k lumens but it runs so much hotter

So I would be ok with getting it and maybe taking a couple bulbs out? Right now I have an led that has red and blue. Also have 1 cfl. On the seedlings I have 1 cfl on them and they're are growing perfect. But for the 4 bigger ones I think I need something stronger. I have too many issues. I have tacoing, sagging, not growing and wrinkled leaves. I may have over watered at one point but now I almost let them starve before watering and still nothing.

20170812 142522
20170812 142542
Monster762

Monster762

Ok put the led away. What led? T5 is good for veg. Very good for young plants. 6 plants under a 2 ft is a stretch to far I think. Maybe 3 and you will need the led in future so don't throw it away. T5 has plenty output for veg. You need to stack light for flower but that's a while away so don't worry about that now. T5 will flower too. Just needs different bulbs. Do you have a fan blowing in the room? If not get one. The air moving the plants builds your stall strength. I had 600w led trying to veg and it was pure shit. But in flower it is a good additive. You can't go wrong with high pressure sodium but heat and intensity of light can be a real enemy depending on your space. Led is less heat but intense so it frys young plants if you don't have that "sweet spot" figured already. I would start with a t5 6500k blue bulbs and put a fan in there. Not blowing directly on the plant blow at wall so deflected air hits the plants. What schedule you running?(24hrs light on? ) there's a lot of little things you want right. Soil? Is it mixed with good amount perelite? If not get new soil n mix 30%+ perelite in it. Biggest mistake is jumping in unprepared. I did it myself. I had plants growing and nowhere to put them. I got my expensive seeds n put em right in some miracle grow.

420budz

420budz

Right now I'm running 18 hrs of light and 6 off. I used fox farm soil. So get t5 with blue bulbs? I'm trying to do everything text book but damn it's all about a happy medium. Over watering and underwatering have the same symptoms. It's confusing but I want this so I'll do what it takes.

Dan789

Dan789

Second the T5 route, 6500k are the tubes listed as included with the fixture you've noted. Why only two foot fixture, can you fit a four footer inside your grow area? Much more bang for the buck with an eight tube 54 watt ho T5 imho. You can rotate the tubes in and out (to activate the additional tubes) as your plants grow and need more light.
That taco'd leaf has me concerned, may not just be due to the lighting, do a check for bugs/mites, scope the back of the affected leaves.
BTW Welcome to the farm.

420budz

420budz

Second the T5 route, 6500k are the tubes listed as included with the fixture you've noted. Why only two foot fixture, can you fit a four footer inside your grow area? Much more bang for the buck with an eight tube 54 watt ho T5 imho. You can rotate the tubes in and out (to activate the additional tubes) as your plants grow and need more light.
That taco'd leaf has me concerned, may not just be due to the lighting, do a check for bugs/mites, scope the back of the affected leaves.
BTW Welcome to the farm.

Thank you for your help. I will take a look at those 4ft lights. I will also look at the taco leaves to check for bugs. Thank you guys for the welcome. I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys for more info.

Monster762

Monster762

If you can fit 4 ft that is better way to go. And which fox farm? Ocean forest is hot. I personally would mix it with nonfertilized peat moss and perelite. And my personal little touch is desert sand. Yeah check for bugs I agree. Ir just get neem oil. Mix as direacted and neem everything. It won't hurt plant but will kill bugs. And as dan789 said bulbs change easy on t5. You can actually run t5 for flower too switch to 2700k or 3000k bulbs. I stagger veg n bloom bulbs then threw my led back in for flower with my 2-2ft t5 sets. Cheap safe way to light it up.

420budz

420budz

If you can fit 4 ft that is better way to go. And which fox farm? Ocean forest is hot. I personally would mix it with nonfertilized peat moss and perelite. And my personal little touch is desert sand. Yeah check for bugs I agree. Ir just get neem oil. Mix as direacted and neem everything. It won't hurt plant but will kill bugs. And as dan789 said bulbs change easy on t5. You can actually run t5 for flower too switch to 2700k or 3000k bulbs. I stagger veg n bloom bulbs then threw my led back in for flower with my 2-2ft t5 sets. Cheap safe way to light it up.
Thanks man. Yes a 4ft will fit in my grow space. Right now I am using straight fox farm ocean. I will do as you suggested and see if I can get the girls healthier. This is my first grow so I'm not expecting them to make it far but I am trying to learn and make the next batch a better one.

Monster762

Monster762

Thanks man. Yes a 4ft will fit in my grow space. Right now I am using straight fox farm ocean. I will do as you suggested and see if I can get the girls healthier. This is my first grow so I'm not expecting them to make it far but I am trying to learn and make the next batch a better one.
You'll make it. My plants were dead. Still not harvested. There is a lot of info on this site. I jumped straight into the fire pit only knowing minor outdoor things and I think I'm doing pretty good now. I run everything soft. Nutes , fertilized soils I cut in half. Then bump up as the plants demand it. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket. It's a pretty easy thing to learn and people on here do have answers to questions. Just like amazon reviews you weed out the bs think common sense it'll all come together. And well known farmer on here doesn't mean pro. I'm on first indoor grow. It is based off of likes and activity on the site. Now if someone's start date here is years ago it's obvious they got to know something. But no one is always right. You'll get it down.

420budz

420budz

Thanks
You'll make it. My plants were dead. Still not harvested. There is a lot of info on this site. I jumped straight into the fire pit only knowing minor outdoor things and I think I'm doing pretty good now. I run everything soft. Nutes , fertilized soils I cut in half. Then bump up as the plants demand it. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket. It's a pretty easy thing to learn and people on here do have answers to questions. Just like amazon reviews you weed out the bs think common sense it'll all come together. And well known farmer on here doesn't mean pro. I'm on first indoor grow. It is based off of likes and activity on the site. Now if someone's start date here is years ago it's obvious they got to know something. But no one is always right. You'll get it down.

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.

420budz

420budz

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.
This ia the one with the length and sagging issues. It's gotten taller but not bushier at all. I thought it might be over watering and now it's roots are shot. I stopped watering for about 4 days and then watered but no difference.

20170813 195555
Top Bottom