Lighting Technique

• Thread starter GreenCross
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GreenCross

I am a wondering noob.... are my clones vegged under a t5 any less developed than vegged under a hps ? also , how long is a typical veg period compared to an extended one ? how long is too long to veg , being that the longer you veg the bigger the plant the bigger the yield....

girlwondergrows

girlwondergrows

That's a pretty wide open question GC. To get good answers you need to post more information, like: what are you growing in? Soil, coco, hydro? How many watts of lighting do you have? how big is your space?

Here is my personal take: I don't personally use t5's, but I've seen a lot of others use them and they work very well. Particularly as a starter light, they produce little heat and you don't have to worry too much how close they are. They produce a nice dense branching pattern if you have the blue bulbs in there, so that's a plus. In general it is better to use blue light for veging plants because red light will make the stretch more. HPS lights are red, and are normally used only for flowering. If you want to use an HID (high intensity discharge) bulb, MH ore metal halide is preferred.

You will get bigger yields from a large plant grown properly, but if your space is limited it is far better to keep the plants from overgrowing it; if not you will be dealing with light burn on top and too little light on the bottom. Its all about what space you have and using ti to the best of your ability, not about growing 6 foot plants in your closet.

-gwg

G

GreenCross

ha. thx girly now to answer a few questions.... i haven't started the grow yet.. so im not sure if im going soil or hydro although im leaning towards dro. the strain is banana kush , about the wattage im also not sure... space and money is not an issue.. that being said i don't want my grow to be obvious to the outside so i don't want some 50 fuggen bulbs on in my house. i want to conserve as much as i can without sacrificing any quality.. but i can buy whatever is optimum performance.. the reason i ask about the lighting is this... the grow isn't starting for another month or two.... so if i get my clones now and just keep them in veg until the real space is ready will i have some super huge bananas ready to give me a huge yield? the only reason i ask about the t5 specifically is just to save money... if i can vegg for an extended time with t5 i think its cheaper than starting out with the halide...

Top Bottom