lime green leaves at top

• Thread starter farmsciencebyjake
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

farmsciencebyjake

Hello, My blueberry kush has lime green leaves at the top only and I'm thinking it's a nitrogen deficiency. I wasn't giving this plant any nutrients because I recently transplanted it into FFOF and people said to wait 3 weeks ( it has been 10 days). Two days ago I topped the plant because I want it to grow out more than up. Just wanted another opinion if I should give some nutrients :D

Thanks!

Here is a pic
Lime green leaves at top

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I've had this problem using FFOF. Something has changed about their formula and it's not the same soil it used to be. It's as if the nutrient ratios are out of balance. I'm using Roots Organic "LUSH" now and the difference is very clear.

With that said, your plants don't look "horrible" but they don't look happy either. The red stems is suggesting calcium/magnesium but before I say that's it ... Let's hear more about your watering practices and whether or not you're using R.O. filtered water or hard well water, etc. Sometimes what appears as a deficiency is actually a nutrient lock-out due to nutrient ratios being off in the mix.

Let's hear more about your grow.

Edit:

If you have something along the lines of a Blue Lab soil pH pen, check your soil pH. If not, next watering collect your run-off and check it's pH. My guess is you'll find out what I did ... your soil pH is too low and this is causing lock-out.

Last edited:
F

farmsciencebyjake

I've had this problem using FFOF. Something has changed about their formula and it's not the same soil it used to be. It's as if the nutrient ratios are out of balance. I'm using Roots Organic "LUSH" now and the difference is very clear.

With that said, your plants don't look "horrible" but they don't look happy either. The red stems is suggesting calcium/magnesium but before I say that's it ... Let's hear more about your watering practices and whether or not you're using R.O. filtered water or hard well water, etc. Sometimes what appears as a deficiency is actually a nutrient lock-out due to nutrient ratios being off in the mix.

Let's hear more about your grow.
Ok, I use water from my faucet and then check the pH. The faucet water is around 10 pH so I have to use pH down and it lowers it to 6.5. As for when I water, I water my plants every two days. Thank you for the quick reply :)

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Ok, I use water from my faucet and then check the pH. The faucet water is around 10 pH so I have to use pH down and it lowers it to 6.5. As for when I water, I water my plants every two days. Thank you for the quick reply :)
I added a bit to my original post. Do you know your soil pH or run-off pH? I don't think the nutrients are missing from FFOF. They are there, but locked out due to low soil pH.

growsince79

growsince79

Hello, My blueberry kush has lime green leaves at the top only and I'm thinking it's a nitrogen deficiency. I wasn't giving this plant any nutrients because I recently transplanted it into FFOF and people said to wait 3 weeks ( it has been 10 days). Two days ago I topped the plant because I want it to grow out more than up. Just wanted another opinion if I should give some nutrients :D

Thanks!

Here is a pic
View attachment 1197592
Feed it

F

farmsciencebyjake

I added a bit to my original post. Do you know your soil pH or run-off pH? I don't think the nutrients are missing from FFOF. They are there, but locked out due to low soil pH.
Let's say I check the soil pH and it is too low what do I do? What if it's too high?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

In the end he will ... he'll have to.
Let's say I check the soil pH and it is too low what do I do? What if it's too high?
It's not very likely to be too high since it's a peat based mix and that tends to be acidic. It's far more likely to be too low. Your soil pH should be 6.5 +/- .2. If you're out of that range then problems can begin to occur. I'm going to guess your soil is below 6.0. I'm going to guess that your run-off is pH-ing about 5.2. If this is the case, a good soil flush followed immediately with a nutrient feeding at about 1/2 strength from what is stated by the manufacturer.

Soil pH range

growsince79

growsince79

I'm gonna guess the ph is fine since its never had anything but water. I would feed 2 tsp/g grow and foliar feed @ 1/2 tsp/g and raise the light a bit till they shape up.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'm gonna guess the ph is fine since its never had anything but water. I would feed 2 tsp/g grow and foliar feed @ 1/2 tsp/g and raise the light a bit till they shape up.
This is FFOF and it's a problem I've experienced with it on a batch I bought in 2020. I bought 12 bags. I still have some. I stopped using it and switched to LUSH. Problem solved. I've also got a Blue Lab soil pH pen that I bought just to verify this. It's more than possible ... it's happened.

growsince79

growsince79

If the ph is low, adding lime might bring it up. Foliar feeding will get the nute there now while you fix the soil.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

If the ph is low, adding lime might bring it up. Foliar feeding will get the nute there now while you fix the soil.
I have not found direct documentation verifying this, but what I've heard is FFOF's old formula had dolomite lime for buffering. Now they are using oyster shell. Unless it's chelated, oyster shell takes a very long time to break down and become active. By then, your plants are suffering. My local hydro store told me this and it actually makes sense.

I wouldn't use garden lime. It's too reactive and even a little could be too much. Dolomite lime would be a better choice as it's not likely to swing pH past 6.5. It's what I did until I got tired of doing it and switched soil mix.

F

farmsciencebyjake

Alright here is an update. I gave my plant water & nutrients and checked the runoff of the soil. The pH for the soil is 6.5-6.6 so that looks good. Now its time to wait a couple of days B)

Thanks for the problem-solving!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Alright here is an update. I gave my plant water & nutrients and checked the runoff of the soil. The pH for the soil is 6.5-6.6 so that looks good. Now its time to wait a couple of days B)

Thanks for the problem-solving!
Good, I'm glad your problem isn't the same as I had. It was a pain. Unfortunately for Fox Farm, I love how the plants grow in LUSH.

GreatWhiteBud

GreatWhiteBud

I am growing blueberry Kush right now!

I had an issue with CA/Mg and have also had an issue with sulfur, my solution the worked is to use two Tbsp of Gypsum powder every 10 day and supplement water with Holland Secret Calnesium.

That should pull those suckers out of a nosedive, and for God sakes man feed them .

Latest posts

Top Bottom