little bugs flying anound grow room (nats ?)

• Thread starter hawkman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hawkman

this entire grow I have been "cursed" with nats - little f^^^ers that fly around that cause no plant issues but are really a bother all ways flying around room - have cleaned the room twice once in veg and now once in flower. must have come from the soil - got a fly stick tape and put that in room hope-ing to stop the issue. any suggestions - anyone ever have this issue. all most sure they came from soil -OceanBlend/Happy Frog and Mircale grow "organic". there is NO extra water in room and all containers have no water run-off which I think that they come from but no extra water -- musg come from soil mix any suggestions / anyone ever have this issue ( I keep a clean room with fans , ect)

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

There might be one or two people who have had this issue.

They are living and breeding in your soil. There are several ways of dealing with them, many of which can be found here: Arbico Organics.

Nematodes are great for use early on, but when the infestation is intense, they can't keep up, IMO. The "Fungus Gnat Control Bundle" would be a good idea.

People also cover the top of the soil with about 1/4-1/2 inch of diatomaceous earth or sand and swear by it. Apparently the newly emerging flies can't get through it and the adults can't reach the soil to lay eggs.

H

hawkman

There might be one or two people who have had this issue.

They are living and breeding in your soil. There are several ways of dealing with them, many of which can be found here: Arbico Organics.

Nematodes are great for use early on, but when the infestation is intense, they can't keep up, IMO. The "Fungus Gnat Control Bundle" would be a good idea.

People also cover the top of the soil with about 1/4-1/2 inch of diatomaceous earth or sand and swear by it. Apparently the newly emerging flies can't get through it and the adults can't reach the soil to lay eggs.
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!! I figured that came from the soil or comming for water run-off (setting water) - only have 5 weeks of flower left Thank you very much with the information - will check it out Now - waht about new soil - open bags a treat it before you "pot" it --This has happened about 3 x's over many years ---Again thanks for your knowledge ^^^^ Peace

Moeboi

Moeboi

Cover your soil..I had that problem last grow..I used a little cinnamon and sprinkled a little over top of soil and I used the black bedding that goes under flower beds and covered up my soil after a few days they was gone..u can Google a few home remedies but I can say for sure about the cinnamon I've done that b4...last pic...once u cover soil it keeps mites from jumping from plant to plant and they eventually die off but I had to clean whole grow tent to make sure all was gone b4 I put plants back in

Screenshot 20211228 095931 Chrome
Screenshot 20211228 095948 Chrome
Screenshot 20211228 100112 Chrome
20210816 111802
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!! I figured that came from the soil or comming for water run-off (setting water) - only have 5 weeks of flower left Thank you very much with the information - will check it out Now - waht about new soil - open bags a treat it before you "pot" it --This has happened about 3 x's over many years ---Again thanks for your knowledge ^^^^ Peace
I have heard from a lot of people around the US, it seems, with huge fungus gnat problems recently. This is also the first time for me that nematodes couldn't take care of the problem. I wonder if this gnat epidemic is real or imagined (because it effects me!).

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Fungus gnats CAN cause damage. They can destroy the roots and create serious problems.
You have to have a really bad infestation to cause issues, but it can happen.

They come in the bag soil. You can open the bag, spread it out on a tarp to cook in the sun before use. That helps get rid of them.

We spray the plant and the soil. Then till the top 1/4 inch and spray the soil again.

PlantTherapy
7munkee

7munkee

I may have had them bad last month. I watered with banana tea and the next day I had what I thought were fruit flies everywhere. I had just finished up my canning and thought they nay have migrated upstairs to my room.

I was 2 weeks to chop so I ignored them and wiped my tent with lysol and dumped the soil in my compost pile.

Havnt made a reappearance yet and I'm 2 weeks into a new grow.

P

Pike

As said above, most likely fungus gnats. The adults flying around cause no plant problem till they go into the soil and lay a shit load of eggs. The larve eat fungus, when that’s gone they go for the roots, personally I think they just go right for the roots.

adults don’t live long like a couple three days, trick is to kill the larve. cover the top of the soil with diatomaceous earth(DE), chops the fuckers up when dry and smothers um in muck when wet. So they get chewed up going in and out. Yellow sticky traps help to eliminate the adults as they emerge from the soil.

numerous soil drenches to kill off the larve as well. Seems this is starting to become a common occurrence these days, last summer, bales of promix were full of um, tossed three bales in the compost pile.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Fungus gnats do not like acidic growing medium, cannabis does.

Latest posts

Top Bottom