Little stealthy diy low budget experimental home grown

• Thread starter jmand
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jmand

jmand

Hi I made a post and shared photos and stuff but it was in a different forum..

Anyway because its more suited to this forum I thought I would share here...

AS I said I got a lot of beef using these super cheap LED lights I got hahah. 100w daylight and a 50w PAR. Sure they could both be complete garbage but I did a grow with a super cheap led flood light before and I was surprised at how smokable some of that bud was. It was a tiny little grow in a 30cm x 60cm tent!! So I got barely anything from it.

I wanted to expand on that and finally live alone so perfect time to get back into it.

It is just some seed I found in my rasta weed and I threw it in the pot outdoors been outdoors for a few months so brought it into flowering in the tent. Would have been going into flowering anyway I think... It certainly started to smell.

I was shocked that everything I needed came to ÂŁ100
A cool mini carbon filter! ÂŁ20!?!?
IMG_20210820_163250 (2).jpg

I got a LED flood light and this crappy little par thing super cheap like ÂŁ20 for both hahaha
The LED flood is meant to be 80CRI. I ill have to check the lumens and the wattage that its drawing from the wall soon!
IMG_20210820_163300 (2).jpg

I realise they might not be that great but so far its got new growth and seems healthier than when it was outside.
IMG_20210824_093603.jpg

anyway I already posted a lot of pics of me sorting out the soil and lifting it to bricks.. in the other thread..

I am thinking of either DIY a COB onto a Heatsink or buy a reasonably priced grow light. Mars hydro type of thing or a affordable CREE COB imported.. One for ÂŁ80 on ebay!

COB or EMD?

Seems that some say COB is the way and some say the individual modules (EMD are they?) are better?

I like the idea of maybe having two COB on a heatsink one PAR values (burple) and the other a warm daylight (3500k) :-)

I also want to build a spectrum meter and see wtf is actually happening.
Measure the Lumens and get an idea of what these lights are doing!

Then I can tweak it and fill in the gaps I am into having a lot of UV and IR in there!

Yeah yeah I know because of the price it seems crazy and its probably not 100w and probably not a true 50w PAR LED.. But part of me thinks they might be! Just that these things are getting cheaper and cheaper as the technology gets more accessible an widely mass produced. As I say I got a really cheap LED flood light before 50w for my tiney 30cmx60cm grow. And it produced some pretty good bud.. So I know its possible!

I will investigate more scientifically but at the moment using the plants happiness as the measurement things def improving .. I think stirring up the soil and lifting the pot onto two bricks will help a lot with its health no wonder it was looking droopy and yellow before I put into the grow tent!

IMG_20210824_095458.jpg

Wider shot of the grow and situation I live in a tiny little bedsit hahah So just crammed it in, I hope it looks like a wardrobe!
Little stealthy diy low budget experimental home grown 5
Little stealthy diy low budget experimental home grown 6

jmand

jmand

I measure and the tallest plant is 70cm away from the light... Too far away?

Imeasures the LUX with an APP (not sure how accurate that it..)

I got between 17000 and 14000 around the toppest plants top..

Last edited:
jmand

jmand

FUCK :(

Its so hard working in a small space and I used cable tied to attach the lights to the top of tent super dumb.. So when I was trying to cut them which was super awkward in cramped small space the carbon filter fell onto my plants and it snapped one in half!! :(
I stuck it back together with masking tape as I know it can reform a bond there and live on just how much time will this now take and postpone the growth? :(

And even after moving the lights down I have not got them close enough to get the LUX up to like 50,000-60,000!! Only to about 20,000...

Also with this app I can see the 50w par light is not really emitting much light at all... But the 100w LED flood when much close to the canopy can emit what I need...

jmand

jmand

yeah starting to see what people are on about with getting decent lights hahahah
I want more lumins coming outa this... other wise it has to be like 30-50cm close! I guess that's ok/

ArrEll

ArrEll

yeah? ok.. i was hoping as they remain high it will get the plants to grow more.. :)
No, they will respond by growing Tall and Spindly. You'll get very little smokeable.

Myself, I try to train my plants to grow Bushy & Wide. More buds that way. A little less Photogenic, but more productive and not prone to collapsing under the weight of heavy buds. No supports needed. That being said, I had to buy a larger tent (my first was 24 in. X 24 X 48 inch. Too short, for most strains plus the lights etc, as most "Short" strains still want to grow 3 feet tall.

70 cm is not too far from the lights, if your lights are Hot or high-wattage. That light you provided a Link for seems OK. It may serve you better. I am using a cheap LED quantum board light: (copy & paste Bold text into the Amazon search window)

LED Grow Light with Daisy Chain GH1200 GREEN GO Dimmable Full Spectrum LED Plant Growing Lights for Hydroponic Indoor Seeding Veg and Bloom​

-and I set it about 20" from the plant tops.

$100 bucks USD. It's 1200w but only draws 95w at the wall. I have found it to be a great low-budget light. Got 100% on the User Reviews, too.

jmand

jmand

No, they will respond by growing Tall and Spindly. You'll get very little smokeable.

Myself, I try to train my plants to grow Bushy & Wide. More buds that way. A little less Photogenic, but more productive and not prone to collapsing under the weight of heavy buds. No supports needed. That being said, I had to buy a larger tent (my first was 24 in. X 24 X 48 inch. Too short, for most strains plus the lights etc, as most "Short" strains still want to grow 3 feet tall.

70 cm is not too far from the lights, if your lights are Hot or high-wattage. That light you provided a Link for seems OK. It may serve you better. I am using a cheap LED quantum board light: (copy & paste Bold text into the Amazon search window)

LED Grow Light with Daisy Chain GH1200 GREEN GO Dimmable Full Spectrum LED Plant Growing Lights for Hydroponic Indoor Seeding Veg and Bloom​

$100 bucks USD. It's 1200w but only draws 95w at the wall. I have found it to be a great low-budget light. Got 100% on the User Reviews, too.
hey thanks a lot man yeah I worked it al out that I wa not getting enough lux haha thanks a lot mate you helped there it was kinda obvious but one of those things I was not even thinking about for some reason. Also it high lighted that the lights I have probably are not sufficient. I will get a quantum board style thing but I need it as cheap as chips! Yeah about ÂŁ100 is max! Thanks maybe just send the link as you are allowed to do so.. What is the brand? This Fecida one has good reviews so far! :) And its about ÂŁ50

jmand

jmand

being only a 40cm x 140cm space this wont be too much light you think? I guess it has the dimmer which is super useful if its too much

2Bad

2Bad

The viparspectra p600 or p1000 are decent for a 2x2 foot they are$50 never heard of fecida.. idk if anyone else has either

Last edited:
2Bad

2Bad

if its 95 at the wall its just a 95w light.. not 1200

Last edited:
ArrEll

ArrEll

@ArrEll your grows look good though for 100w light tbh
Manufacturer states it will cover 4x4 ft. in Veg and 3x3 ft. in Flower, which was perfect for my new tent (28" x 28" x 63"). Like most LEDs, it's marketed "1200w" but the actual AC Current it draws (how much it COSTS you) is the same as a 95w incandescent bulb. For comparison, a modern LED light bulb which pulls only 13w puts out 100w's worth of light (I have a 24-pack of Sylvanias here, info off the box). I use it at 100% power and Vary the height with the Yo-Yos provided, as (JUST MY OPINION) I feel that turning the Dimmer switch down low MAY shorten its life.....I don't know. But it WILL alter the wavelength, which I don't really like.

I'm no Techie, nor do I care to be, but Results Matter. This light is "affordably" priced and covers 3x3 ft area in Flower. It's a Quantum Board style and it's now less than $100 bucks U.S. IMO it's built like a tank, and only gets pretty WARM to the touch at full power - not "Oven Hot." Mine's been on 20 hours a day for months and shows no signs of fatigue. User Reviews are 100% 5-Star. It's no Weakling. But most any of these new Quantum board LEDs are "pretty good".

jmand

jmand

Manufacturer states it will cover 4x4 ft. in Veg and 3x3 ft. in Flower, which was perfect for my new tent (28" x 28" x 63"). Like most LEDs, it's marketed "1200w" but the actual AC Current it draws (how much it COSTS you) is the same as a 95w incandescent bulb. For comparison, a modern LED light bulb which pulls only 13w puts out 100w's worth of light (I have a 24-pack of Sylvanias here, info off the box). I use it at 100% power and Vary the height with the Yo-Yos provided, as (JUST MY OPINION) I feel that turning the Dimmer switch down low MAY shorten its life.....I don't know. But it WILL alter the wavelength, which I don't really like.

I'm no Techie, nor do I care to be, but Results Matter. This light is "affordably" priced and covers 3x3 ft area in Flower. It's a Quantum Board style and it's now less than $100 bucks U.S. IMO it's built like a tank, and only gets pretty WARM to the touch at full power - not "Oven Hot." Mine's been on 20 hours a day for months and shows no signs of fatigue. User Reviews are 100% 5-Star. It's no Weakling. But most any of these new Quantum board LEDs are "pretty good".

I am in th UK do they have a distributor here? I like the look of this facida one as it has UV and IR I like the idea of having UV as this is more close to sunlight..

Also I think LED does not put out 10x more light, well I didn't think so.. More like 3 x more in equivalence to a traditional bulb... frm the data I looked at..

But your plants look great under that light!! all about how much wattage in and how much lux that creates! And I guess the height of the light and grow space..

Last edited:
jmand

jmand

I got this fecida light as it was ÂŁ60 and had a lot of good reviews.. Also I liked that it has a fan inside it drawing air up through it. Otherwise I imagine a panel might mess up the air flow in my tiny grow space.

Its putting put out 65000lux at 30cm away on 80%, was cheap and cheerful and also has much more UV and IR than most lights.. 24 of each.

Seems like a good buy I also got some good genetics to put in there. Some Super Lemon Haze and Holy Punch. So thats a sativa dominant and a indica dominant both give massive yields and are reasonably fast at blooming.. Both award wining. So I am pretty happy as they were cheap too! :) I will make mother plants out of them both. I need to make this a regular things and I want mother plants that I make clones from for my flowering space.

I might experiment with two plants in that space and see what happens but I think most likely I will get a similar weight to only one larger plant.

IMG 20210827 1946491
jmand

jmand

well my weed plant are not looking happy at all, it was getting quit hot and I had to turn down the light and move it away..
if I got a more efficient light like 3 umol/j insteal or 2.2 umol/j you reckon I will see much decrease in temp? or is that negligible as far as the temp is concerned?
Just seeing these ones on ebay and amazon that have samsung led and meanwell driver only a tiny bit more than the facida one, they do not hav the fan in the middle so then makes me worried its gonna make the air circulation really bad in my tiny grow area :(

Was looking at bulbs as they will not cut off half my grow space and hopefully shoot less heat directly down onto my plants which is what the facida seems to be doing.. i guess taht is pretty normal too haha. as it is a high powered light.
Was looking at bulbs s they are less likely to mess up my air circulation they are like sunlight !

SANSI bulbs!?

jmand

jmand

A bit flumoxed wasn't expecting to have heat issues .. Any suggestion? Will a cob with fan and heat sink on back be netter ?/ would a quantum boars with heatsink be better would that direct more heat out the back than the front with this facida?

2Bad

2Bad

A bit flumoxed wasn't expecting to have heat issues .. Any suggestion? Will a cob with fan and heat sink on back be netter ?/ would a quantum boars with heatsink be better would that direct more heat out the back than the front with this facida?
Honestly dont even know what youre saying at this point. What's the light got to do with air circulation? Are you saying theres a fan in the light blowing heat down at it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom