Living Organic Soil-My second indoor grow, 4x4 tent

• Thread starter stp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stp

stp

If you followed my last one, I grew (4) and they turned Hermie mid flower. I cleaned everything- the fans, fan covers, walls, lid, lights....
I ended up with 18 ounces of seedy weedy. I recently took half of that and Dry Ice'd it with 120 micron bag and got some really nice clean hash that I pressed into chips.

I hated having to water (4) 5 gallon pots and it was a pain to reach two in the corner the way my tent was situated. Mostly water is a pain because I have to go buy it and last time I was mixing Bio Canna nutrients in the water. They seemed easy but it was a hassle after work up against a short window because I was running lights on during the day and they shut off at 7, so limited window to make it home to inspect and manage. This time I have the timers running on from 6pm to 12 noon. I hope to avoid the heat of the summer days here. It's already 80 inside and I only have the lights on 30% right now.

Last time I got a very small infestation of Fungus Gnats and my shit was new and clean and I got rid of all of my house plants so I assumed it had to be Happy Frog soil, so this time I went with a guy I have been paying a lot of attention to on his website and IG, Jeremy Silva of Buildasoil out of Montrose, Colorado.

Shit is changing this time. One plant only, LST and Top one time, maybe two. Longer veg. Living Organic Soil
15 gallon Fabric Smart Pot
Everything I am using is vegan organic product.

Two (2) bags of Malibu soil mix
1/3 lb local European Nightcrawlers
Buildasoil White clover 12 seed cover crop seed mix
Buildasoil Craft Blend
Buildasoil Rootwise Complete
Buildasoil Freeze dried coconut water flakes
Buildasoil Freeze dried Aloe vera
Buildasoil's Neem Oil
Dr Bronner's peppermint oil
Clove Oil
Barley Straw
Organic compost with worm castings for top dressing

I will be planting one Red Dragon Feminized seed.
The soil gets cover crop spread at a (1) Tbsp per square foot application, cover with compost, add 1/4 c of the Craft Blend around base of plant, then cover entire pot with the Barley Straw 1"- 3" deep but loose enough for the cover crop to grow through.

I really wish I had some good Vermicompost with live predators but that's either make my own or order from them with a two week lead time for fresh batches.

I will start pest prevention from the early stages using this neem oil that Buildasoil gets imported from India, supposed to be special stuff. I will be mixing that with different variations of clove oil, Dr Bronner's Peppermint soap and the freeze dried Aloe Vera....we're going to get ahead of bugs if we can.

The goal is to be water only the entire time, but in reality I will be using the Freeze dried Coconut water flakes and Aloe Vera to mix in the water. Supposed to use Aloe for VEG and Coco for Flower, but I have heard good things about using Coco to get big growth in VEG too....so we will mix it up.

And I do plan on doing tea but probably only once or twice in veg. Compost/castings/insect frass/Craft Blend/Rootwise all can be used to make killer teas and I did that last time with my bubbler bucket set up for that.

No mixing nutrients. I may use a little bit of the Cannazyme I have but it's technically not organically sourced but it's also just enzymes to speed up decomp of roots and plant matter....I am not sure about this just yet.

I sprouted two days ago. Dirt in the pot has had about 1.5 gallons of water sprayed over it in the last two days. Part of that 1.5 gallons was some enzymes to get things going. It's moist and ready. This soil is epic. Rice hulls and all kinds of goodies, I am excited to see how this goes.

Round 2 start
Living organic soil my second indoor grow 4x4 tent 2
Last edited:
Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
If you followed my last one, I grew (4) and they turned Hermie mid flower. I clean everything-fans, fan covers, walls, lid, lights....
I got 18 ounces of seedy weedy. I recently took all that and Dry Ice'd it and at least I got something good from the confused nugs.
I hated having to water (4) 5 gallon pots and it was a pain to reach two in the corner the way my tent was situated. Mostly water is a pain because I have to go buy it and last time I was mixing Bio Canna nutrients in the water. They seemed easy but it was a hassle after work up against a short window because I was running lights on during the day and they shut off at 7, so limited window to make it home to inspect and manage.

Last time I got a very small infestation of Fungus Gnats and my shit was new and clean and I got rid of all of my house plants so I assumed it had to be Happy Frog soil, so this time I went with a guy I have been paying a lot of attention to on his website and IG, Jeremy Silva of Buildasoil out of Montrose, Colorado.

Shit is changing this time. One plant only, LST and Top one time, maybe two. Longer veg. Living Organic Soil
15 gallon Fabric Smart Pot
Everything I am using is vegan organic product.

Two (2) bags of Malibu soil mix
1/3 lb local European Nightcrawlers
Buildasoil White clover 12 seed cover crop seed mix
Buildasoil Craft Blend
Buildasoil Rootwise Complete
Buildasoil Freeze dried coconut water flakes
Buildasoil Freeze dried Aloe vera
Buildasoil's Neem Oil
Dr Bronner's peppermint oil
Clove Oil
Barley Straw
Organic compost with worm castings for top dressing

I will be planting one Red Dragon Feminized seed.
The soil gets cover crop spread at a (1) Tbsp per square foot application, cover with compost, add 1/4 c of the Craft Blend around base of plant, then cover entire pot with the Barley Straw 1"- 3" deep but loose enough for the cover crop to grow through.

I really wish I had some good Vermicompost with live predators but that's either make my own or order from them with a two week lead time for fresh batches.

I will start pest prevention from the early stages using this neem oil that Buildasoil gets imported from India, supposed to be special stuff. I will be mixing that with different variations of clove oil, Dr Bronner's Peppermint soap and the freeze dried Aloe Vera....we're going to get ahead of bugs if we can.

The goal is to be water only the entire time, but in reality I will be using the Freeze dried Coconut water flakes and Aloe Vera to mix in the water. Supposed to use Aloe for VEG and Coco for Flower, but I have heard good things about using Coco to get big growth in VEG too....so we will mix it up.

And I do plan on doing tea but probably only once or twice in veg. Compost/castings/insect frass/Craft Blend/Rootwise all can be used to make killer teas and I did that last time with my bubbler bucket set up for that.

No mixing nutrients. I may use a little bit of the Cannazyme I have but it's technically not organically sourced but it's also just enzymes to speed up decomp of roots and plant matter....I am not sure about this just yet.

I sprouted two days ago. Dirt in the pot has had about 1.5 gallons of water sprayed over it in the last two days. It's moist and ready. This soil is epic. Rice hulls and all kinds of goodies, I am excited to see how this goes.
I love the setup, very clean and well thought out. I used 1lb vermicomposting worms in 120 gallons. They thrive ! I mixed in 30 lbs of my vermi mix which was full of cocoons so likely there are many many more. Keep it up !

Reactions: stp
stp

stp

I love the setup, very clean and well thought out. I used 1lb vermicomposting worms in 120 gallons. They thrive ! I mixed in 30 lbs of my vermi mix which was full of cocoons so likely there are many many more. Keep it up !
See, I need that good wet Vermi mix...nobody sells it locally in San Diego...all bagged dry stuff.

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
See, I need that good wet Vermi mix...nobody sells it locally in San Diego...all bagged dry stuff.
I started with like 20 worms from walmart and put them in a tub with good ventilation holes drilled. Filled it with dried fan leaves, rinsed coco, pulverized eggshell, topped with 1/4" green veggies on 1/4th of the bun. It doesn't need to be super deep, they live right near the top of soil. Then I would just mist with room if it was too dry( squeeze a handful of substrate and if only a small amount of water comes off youre6good to go. Make sure that the container isn't in an area that is well lit, I put mine in a cool closet with the door cracked. The final result was 1lb+ of worms and dark black wet castings!

stp

stp

I started with like 20 worms from walmart and put them in a tub with good ventilation holes drilled. Filled it with dried fan leaves, rinsed coco, pulverized eggshell, topped with 1/4" green veggies on 1/4th of the bun. It doesn't need to be super deep, they live right near the top of soil. Then I would just mist with room if it was too dry( squeeze a handful of substrate and if only a small amount of water comes off youre6good to go. Make sure that the container isn't in an area that is well lit, I put mine in a cool closet with the door cracked. The final result was 1lb+ of worms and dark black wet castings!
how long to get stuff ready to plant with? I don't have a great space to do a bunch of DIY stuff. Like soil mixing, and tea brewing, and worm farm, and a veg tent for clones..I need a big yard and a shed for that stuff. Don't have that here.

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
how long to get stuff ready to plant with? I don't have a great space to do a bunch of DIY stuff. Like soil mixing, and tea brewing, and worm farm, and a veg tent for clones..I need a big yard and a shed for that stuff. Don't have that here.
I had a 2'x2' iirc, almost no maintenance. Very small footprint with a slow but worth it return ! It took a long time with so little start out, when they are under ideal conditions they'll multiply every 60 days or so.

Reactions: stp
stp

stp

It's 9:17 PM here and it is 81 degrees inside the house, it's a really warm night here in San Diego. Lights on 50% power, tent is running 87.2 and 55.6 RH. It's not the hottest night we will have, and I have always thought my set up runs warm. It's mostly because I have no outside air coming in close to the room, and the tent exhausts towards the door and into the house. No way ideal, but I can't do much about my venting. That is why I have always thought about needing an HVAC.

stp

stp

I’ve found (3) worms on the floor of the tent. Will they crawl out and over the side to “escape”? Is there a reason why they would do this?

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
I’ve found (3) worms on the floor of the tent. Will they crawl out and over the side to “escape”? Is there a reason why they would do this?
If they are escaping something is off in their environment, if you described it to me I may be able to identify it.

stp

stp

All I did was take the living organic soil and put it in a 15 gallon pot so far. Watered it lightly a few times, it’s moist all the way through. There’s nothing planted in it yet. Just like the photo I posted. It’s hot these past two days, could they be too hot maybe?

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
All I did was take the living organic soil and put it in a 15 gallon pot so far. Watered it lightly a few times, it’s moist all the way through. There’s nothing planted in it yet. Just like the photo I posted. It’s hot these past two days, could they be too hot maybe?
Most likely, or no food , or light. They can be finicky. They would probably do better making you earth worm castings :)

stp

stp

So today I added the 12 seed clover cover crop, organic compost/castings top dress, inoculated with root wise, aloe flakes about 2 gallons poured and pump sprayer slow misting. Covered that with the straw, about 2 inches deep, fluffy, not jam packed. Misted remaining 1/2 gallon of innoculation juice. Hoping to generate more food for the worms, get the soil rolling and transplant that sprout sooner than later.

67CA89D2 3450 4B6E 9532 636416E26B5E
stp

stp

Cover crop is sprouting and pushing through the straw. Worms have stopped killing themselves too. Sprout is lagging....at first I thought maybe I over watered her...but she looks alright. FEM seed, so her.

97320F05 6E9D 4E38 8AF8 5E143202D4F2
stp

stp

Seeing some tiny crawling bugs. I have not had any real issues with insects and I’m cautious to ask if I may already have spider mites or maybe these are just dirt mites? The plant isn’t even in the soil yet. Could these just be beneficial or is there no such thing? Not a great video but there’s one moving in the middle.

stp

stp

Seeing some tiny crawling bugs. I have not had any real issues with insects and I’m cautious to ask if I may already have spider mites or maybe these are just dirt mites? The plant isn’t even in the soil yet. Could these just be beneficial or is there no such thing? Not a great video but there’s one moving in the middle.
Im thinking it’s these guys.

E06A54DE A6C5 4A28 83E1 24ABE253627F
stp

stp

Im thinking it’s these guys.
I agree, I looked into it and I’ve got other issues. Here’s the progress of a slow growing sprout. My soil too hot, I watered too much, I have shit old seeds?

A06C9553 18E9 4DF7 B0C3 B3D4152F06DC
stp

stp

Monday the ultra slow growing sprout got yanked. It had quite a significant root system but the short 4” stem felt stiff. I soaked one FEM Red Dragon and one regular Jillybean. Could be a waste but I want to see if one looks better than the other. Seeds came out of a water soak 24 hours Tuesday, into small soil solo cups and today the Red Dragon came through and it looks thick and strong. Nothing Jilly yet.

stp

stp

Soaked seed Monday to two living plants on Saturday!
81DDEE94 4143 4BC3 8EFA 94DDFE41ECB1

red dragon FEM

7C5A0669 D857 4D46 841E 939BCBD9ABFE

MzJill’s Jillybean regular seed.

stp

stp

Because I used about 1/3 of a solo cup’s worth of soil for each seed, I finally saw some roots poking out the bottom of each cup so I moved both to their final home. It’s absolutely not the original plan. I wanted one plant and one pot to long veg and yield a pound or more. Because I scrapped my first single seed that looked weak and dying, I have to sex the jillybean faster since it’s regular seed. so I’m gonna blast through a shorter veg and grow two in this one pot, unless the JB is a dude. RD is looking better than the last seedling was, but still has funky leaves curled away from light. I turned the light down and the cover crop will shade it a little for the first week until I start ramping up the watts. The JB looks great with two big leaves. Boring post but i want to chart the significant timelines.

3F5075D0 9117 4E1C 98D5 C94DEA6C1328
F7F55952 904C 4FC8 8A09 AB2C5221634C
9CD1B44E 11BE 40A8 9A54 CBAE5DDD6484
stp

stp

Also forgot to mention, as I planted these two, I top dressed the entire pot with a dusting of Craft Blend, 1/3 C. Grokashi, a few more cover crop seeds, some & Clackmass Coot’s Gnarly Barley (ground). I watered with about 1.5-2 gallons of aloe flake and Rootwise microbe blend, slowly applied via a Chapin Sprayer.

Top Bottom