Lolipop, LST, Top, SuperCrop, Defoliate? (Need some SUPER ADVICE)๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š

• Thread starter SunshineSupergirl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

Are you talking about cutting the main stem at the top?
You don't necessarily have to top, you can just bend her down and spread her out a bit so the lower branches get more light... but topping is just pinching the very top node off, it's usually done when they are younger, but can be done anytime. I didn't top any this year, just training them how I want them.

SunshineSupergirl

SunshineSupergirl

You don't necessarily have to top, you can just bend her down and spread her out a bit so the lower branches get more light... but topping is just pinching the very top node off, it's usually done when they are younger, but can be done anytime. I didn't top any this year, just training them how I want them.
๐ŸŽถI think I'll bend her down and stretch her out a bit. ๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿ˜‡โ˜ฎ๏ธ

Reactions: TSD
Clyde4210

Clyde4210

๐ŸŽถI think I'll bend her down and stretch her out a bit. ๐ŸŽถ
I don't recommend ILGM seeds but I grabbed their sour diesel auto flower and it's a beast. Takes a beating and keeps right on going. Super tall plants over 5' closer to 6' maybe taller. I have a 7' height and both times I've ran out of height room. This last time not only did I top it but I topped it for good. I accidentally took off way more than I should hoping to keep plant small. I'm at 4 and a half feet with an additional foot lsted over. The plant would be around 6' naturally.

TSD

TSD

๐ŸŽถI think I'll bend her down and stretch her out a bit. ๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿ˜‡โ˜ฎ๏ธ
This is my black cherry punch, I started bending her over while she was still inside so the stem would be going in the right direction to make her long and low in my garden. I planted her at an angle, probably a 50ish degree angle, and pointed her top in the direction I plan to train her as she gets bigger. This pic was the day after transplant, before doing any LST outside, her branches had already started to even out and catch up with her top because she'd been bent over indoors for a few weeks...
20220520 081542

This is her a few days later, after I was satisfied she wasn't shocked from the transplant. I removed the bottom one, two or three growth sites on most branches and a few whole lower branches that were hidden and would just block airflow and be in the dirt. I guess technically this would be a form of lollipopping, but she's not standing up, she's spreading out.
20220520 090054

This is her today, it's been about 5 days since her haircut if my stoner brain recalls correctly, and yesterday I removed a few more leaves that were touching the ground. She seems very low now, but I'm counting on a good stretch and she will be up away from the dirt before buds start to form. I'll keep pruning and training as she grows, I plan on attempting a scrog on a couple.
20220527 065623

As you can see the lower branches are already catching up with the main top and they will be thier own nice buds. There's no wrong way to LST, you do what works for your space and desired outcome. I've topped in the past, it's good for keeping them stout, but I find it does shock them, moreso if you wait till they are bigger. Last year I topped my 3 big ladies and cloned the tops, 2 took, one didn't... but they definitely slowed down for a bit, which I was fine with cause I was running out of space. In your case with how much stress she's had in her life, I don't know that I'd top. LST has the same effect of breaking apical dominance and causing the lower branches to catch up to the top... topping just does it immediately... but with the side effect of stress. A helpful trick if you can remember when putting your seeds in the pot, is to plant them off center, to one side, so you have more room to bend the future stalk and stretch out the side branches... I forget to do it then I'm mad at myself when I go to start bending them over. ๐Ÿคฃ
What's the plan with the little ones? If they will be vacating, I'd say definitely spread that girl out, she will still grow up plenty to fill your window, trust me... just with several tops instead of one. โ˜ฎ๏ธ

TSD

TSD

You can also train the side branches to go in the direction you want, I have some of my branches going in the complete opposite direction of the top as you can see from the pics, so you could get them away from your plastic and pointing to each side that has the width to hold them. They make plant clips that are specifically for this purpose that make life easier... I found some randomly at my local dollar store, obviously not as good as fancy ones, but still super helpful for pointing branches where I want them to go. I mostly use foam covered wire, it goes through a little hole on a pot or attaches to a landscaping pin outside with ease and doesn't harm the stalks. I usually make little S hook shapes out of various lengths of foam wire, and make a hook on the part attached to the pot or pin, this makes adjustments much easier as I can just pop off an S, move it, pop on a different length if needed... one of those stoner inventions that's stood the test of time. ๐Ÿคฃ

SunshineSupergirl

SunshineSupergirl

This is my black cherry punch, I started bending her over while she was still inside so the stem would be going in the right direction to make her long and low in my garden. I planted her at an angle, probably a 50ish degree angle, and pointed her top in the direction I plan to train her as she gets bigger. This pic was the day after transplant, before doing any LST outside, her branches had already started to even out and catch up with her top because she'd been bent over indoors for a few weeks... View attachment 1248670
This is her a few days later, after I was satisfied she wasn't shocked from the transplant. I removed the bottom one, two or three growth sites on most branches and a few whole lower branches that were hidden and would just block airflow and be in the dirt. I guess technically this would be a form of lollipopping, but she's not standing up, she's spreading out. View attachment 1248671
This is her today, it's been about 5 days since her haircut if my stoner brain recalls correctly, and yesterday I removed a few more leaves that were touching the ground. She seems very low now, but I'm counting on a good stretch and she will be up away from the dirt before buds start to form. I'll keep pruning and training as she grows, I plan on attempting a scrog on a couple. View attachment 1248672
As you can see the lower branches are already catching up with the main top and they will be thier own nice buds. There's no wrong way to LST, you do what works for your space and desired outcome. I've topped in the past, it's good for keeping them stout, but I find it does shock them, moreso if you wait till they are bigger. Last year I topped my 3 big ladies and cloned the tops, 2 took, one didn't... but they definitely slowed down for a bit, which I was fine with cause I was running out of space. In your case with how much stress she's had in her life, I don't know that I'd top. LST has the same effect of breaking apical dominance and causing the lower branches to catch up to the top... topping just does it immediately... but with the side effect of stress. A helpful trick if you can remember when putting your seeds in the pot, is to plant them off center, to one side, so you have more room to bend the future stalk and stretch out the side branches... I forget to do it then I'm mad at myself when I go to start bending them over. ๐Ÿคฃ
What's the plan with the little ones? If they will be vacating, I'd say definitely spread that girl out, she will still grow up plenty to fill your window, trust me... just with several tops instead of one. โ˜ฎ๏ธ
I think it's going to work out because the little ones are getting ready to flower and produce buds.

In fact the smallest one is probably going to have some smokable buds in a week or two.

I'm starting to watch the trichom color and see if anything turns Amber.

You do some amazing work, thanks for your reply it's very helpful. โ˜ฎ๏ธ

Reactions: TSD
Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

This is my black cherry punch, I started bending her over while she was still inside so the stem would be going in the right direction to make her long and low in my garden. I planted her at an angle, probably a 50ish degree angle, and pointed her top in the direction I plan to train her as she gets bigger. This pic was the day after transplant, before doing any LST outside, her branches had already started to even out and catch up with her top because she'd been bent over indoors for a few weeks... View attachment 1248670
This is her a few days later, after I was satisfied she wasn't shocked from the transplant. I removed the bottom one, two or three growth sites on most branches and a few whole lower branches that were hidden and would just block airflow and be in the dirt. I guess technically this would be a form of lollipopping, but she's not standing up, she's spreading out. View attachment 1248671
This is her today, it's been about 5 days since her haircut if my stoner brain recalls correctly, and yesterday I removed a few more leaves that were touching the ground. She seems very low now, but I'm counting on a good stretch and she will be up away from the dirt before buds start to form. I'll keep pruning and training as she grows, I plan on attempting a scrog on a couple. View attachment 1248672
Agree and agree.

TSD

TSD

I think it's going to work out because the little ones are getting ready to flower and produce buds.

In fact the smallest one is probably going to have some smokable buds in a week or two.

I'm starting to watch the trichom color and see if anything turns Amber.

You do some amazing work, thanks for your reply it's very helpful. โ˜ฎ๏ธ
Aww thanks, I fuck up plenty just like everyone else lol. Gardening is a life long learning experience.

Top Bottom