Long time smoker/ first time grower. Any advice appreciated!

• Thread starter Tommysalami247
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tommysalami247

Tommysalami247

So I recently became a medical patient in Illinois. I’ve grown random seeds outdoors before but never had results good enough to harvest and smoke...

my current set up is a 4x4 tent with a 1000 watt double ended high pressure sodium light . I’ve got 2 small fans at ground level, and a hurricane 4 inch in-line fan sucking air out of the tent into a room in my basement (which is the boiler room.) It stays humid and warm down there because my home has hot water radiators instead of furnace heating system.

Since this is my first time growing , I decided to pop some seeds I had saved from a pack of mike Larry OG that was packed with mature seeds from Denver I think 🤔. I know it might now turnout all that great but free seeds is free seeds and to be honest that bud was actually pretty dank! Learning day by day hopefully one day I can actually make a living this way and bring top shelf quality bud to my community 🤞🏼

Growing medium:

seedling: roots organic soil in solo cup

First transplant from solo cups into 2 gallon fabric pots with Ocean forest by fox farm. Also added Azos beneficial bacteria by xtreme gardening.

WAS using 2 small humidifiers with tap water , until I noticed white calcium deposits clogging up my filter sleeve !

Only feeding plants “fish shit” and cal mag.

Was watering with purified bottle water for first couple weeks( seeds till week 4) , then got cheap and lazy and started watering tap water without even checking PH. I found out within 2 weeks this dramatically stunted my plants growth and actually started having leaves fall off faster than they could grow back. I finally bought a PH pen and some ph up and down to add to water, so the nutrient lockout situation.

Is now looking much better. Leaves are turning green and also growing larger now. (Week 7 since sprout) 😅 whew!

I am considering taking my plants out of the tent now that spring is approaching so they can have more room to grow, but right now inside the tent ,temps go as low as 65 F when light is off .
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 2
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 3
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 4
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 5
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 6
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 7
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 8
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 9
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 10
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 11
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 12
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 13
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 14
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 15
Long time smoker first time grower any advice appreciated 16

Tommysalami247

Tommysalami247

Nice and welcome! What's your RH/Temps at? Take it from me and buy a good PH pen.
It gets hot in the tent , and I have a window open in my room where the tent is and it’s 45 F outside today. I’ve been considering getting rid of the tent and just light proofing the room

Tommysalami247

Tommysalami247

within 2 days of correcting water PH , I can already tell the leaves are getting greener and stretching out just a bit more now.

kyLman

kyLman

Yes - 90 is too hot. Those HPS's get hot...LEDs not so much. I think you'll want to be between 68-82F deg and definitely get that RH up. You can hang a wet towel in the tent, place a fan blowing air across the towel..it'll raise your RH probably too much. You'll need to regulate somehow. Consider getting an exhaust unit (AC Infinity is the best value) on a temp/RH switch so it kicks on when its too hot/humid. It's important to get the tent to self regulate. I wouldn't move the plants around outside, you're asking for pests IMO but I could be wrong on this.

Tommysalami247

Tommysalami247

Yes - 90 is too hot. Those HPS's get hot...LEDs not so much. I think you'll want to be between 68-82F deg and definitely get that RH up. You can hang a wet towel in the tent, place a fan blowing air across the towel..it'll raise your RH probably too much. You'll need to regulate somehow. Consider getting an exhaust unit (AC Infinity is the best value) on a temp/RH switch so it kicks on when its too hot/humid. It's important to get the tent to self regulate. I wouldn't move the plants around outside, you're asking for pests IMO but I could be wrong on this.
Oh I forgot to mention , that RH/temp reading was taken a day after removing the humidifier, which I did because I was running it with tap water and had calcium building up on my air filter! I’m looking into buying an RO system soon because buying bottled water to fill my humidifier was getting expensive

_VLAD_

_VLAD_

Thats still incredibly low with a humidifier, you want to be atleast 50% humidity, 60 is even better in veg. Looks like you have some work to do in the climate control department

Tommysalami247

Tommysalami247

Thats still incredibly low with a humidifier, you want to be atleast 50% humidity, 60 is even better in veg. Looks like you have some work to do in the climate control department
Maybe you misunderstood, Vlad. That’s where the humidity is at today, WITHOUT the humidifier running, that’s why it’s so damn low! Trust me, when the humidifier WAS in there, the tent reading was usually at 55% humidity, but I usually turn them off at night since it gets cooler then. I guess I just have to get some clean water in the humidifier. Looking into a filtration system so I don’t have to worry about the calcium from tap water vapor fucking up my filter!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
the root cause of the damaged leaves is from watering too frequently.. which throws off nutrient uptake.
most important water correctly.

Tommysalami247

Tommysalami247

the root cause of the damaged leaves is from watering too frequently.. which throws off nutrient uptake.
most important water correctly.
I usually only water when the pots feel light, but I’ll try to cut back and see what happens , thanks hombre 🙏🏼

Top Bottom