Look after your pH pen: a cautionary tale with a happy ending.

• Thread starter LJ66
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LJ66

LJ66

This happened a few weeks ago. The brown splotches which looked to me like calcium deficiency. I didn’t think it was a deficiency because she was 2 weeks old and in really nice soil. Then I noticed the cap of my pH pen was drying out. So she might have had one drink of water with a dodgy pH reading? which would explain the leaf issue wouldn’t it? I sorted the pen, started using drops to check pH for a while and watered her with pH on the higher end of the scale, 6.7-8. She still seemed healthy but the brown splotches got worse before better and kept deteriorating for a week or so after I thought I had addressed the problem. For a while there she really looked rough and I felt like a terrible canna mama. Turning the lights down seemed to help. But then she grew and recovered and when I up potted her she really took off.

She’s a 6 week +1 day GDP photo girlie sitting in a 3 gallon pot in canna terra professional soil. I’m feeding her Aptus Base plus Aptus CalMag. She’s extremely thirsty. Temp is around 24 Celsius RH sitting around 50. I did have her on a 6/18 schedule under Spider Farmer sf1000, 20 inches distance. Then I noticed she seemed to like a slightly shorter sleep, 4-5 hours.

I used two tents to build one to fit my exact space so it looks a bit wonky.

I’m pretty happy with how she’s coming on now after my earlier F up with the pH or whatever it was. Does she look about right for the strain? This is only my third plant. What else could the problem have been?

Look after your ph pen a cautionary tale with a happy ending
Look after your ph pen a cautionary tale with a happy ending 2
Look after your ph pen a cautionary tale with a happy ending 3
Look after your ph pen a cautionary tale with a happy ending 4
Look after your ph pen a cautionary tale with a happy ending 5
Look after your ph pen a cautionary tale with a happy ending 6
Look after your ph pen a cautionary tale with a happy ending 7
Look after your ph pen a cautionary tale with a happy ending 8
Look after your ph pen a cautionary tale with a happy ending 9
Look after your ph pen a cautionary tale with a happy ending 10
Look after your ph pen a cautionary tale with a happy ending 11
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
This happened a few weeks ago. The brown splotches which looked to me like calcium deficiency. I didn’t think it was a deficiency because she was 2 weeks old and in really nice soil. Then I noticed the cap of my pH pen was drying out. So she might have had one drink of water with a dodgy pH reading? which would explain the leaf issue wouldn’t it? I sorted the pen, started using drops to check pH for a while and watered her with pH on the higher end of the scale, 6.7-8. She still seemed healthy but the brown splotches got worse before better and kept deteriorating for a week or so after I thought I had addressed the problem. For a while there she really looked rough and I felt like a terrible canna mama. Turning the lights down seemed to help. But then she grew and recovered and when I up potted her she really took off.

She’s a 6 week +1 day GDP photo girlie sitting in a 3 gallon pot in canna terra professional soil. I’m feeding her Aptus Base plus Aptus CalMag. She’s extremely thirsty. Temp is around 24 Celsius RH sitting around 50. I did have her on a 6/18 schedule under Spider Farmer sf1000, 20 inches distance. Then I noticed she seemed to like a slightly shorter sleep, 4-5 hours.

I used two tents to build one to fit my exact space so it looks a bit wonky.

I’m pretty happy with how she’s coming on now after my earlier F up with the pH or whatever it was. Does she look about right for the strain? This is only my third plant. What else could the problem have been?
It looks like you went to a Promix soil with more perlite in it. I don't know your feeds I use General hydroponics 3 part. I was getting blotches and spots every so often but I ignore it thinking no big deal a few bad leaves. For what ever reason I started using Floralicious plus, another GH products but I've seen an overall improvement everywhere....I'm not a salesman...i'm just impressed with the difference and improved health.... Something within their ingredient's Fulvic & Humic acid's help break down the nutes into the ions the roots absorb or some sht like that...old stoner..not scientist lloll

I've never used cal/mag.....other than 2 times it caused lockouts in my plants...too much ca.....I went to Epsom salts only...... 1/4 tsp very gal water

Like I said I don't know your product but I'm thinking you may need a better more complete nutrient fertilizer combination There are many out their some more available than others....I've been with GH 25+ years....I'm even giving it to my peppers this year...

Okay enough rambling...Good luck

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

The brown splotches which looked to me like calcium deficiency. I didn’t think it was a deficiency because she was 2 weeks old and in really nice soil. Then I noticed the cap of my pH pen was drying out. So she might have had one drink of water with a dodgy pH reading? which would explain the leaf issue wouldn’t it? I sorted the pen, started using drops to check pH for a while and watered her with pH on the higher end of the scale, 6.7-8.

Not likely. One watering of high pH would not cause that. You are in peat. Peat is acidic. The pH is lowered instantly as the feed mixes with the peat. Your issue appears to be from underfeeding at some point. Nitrogen and calcium especially. If you aren't feeding at least 15x a month, increase feeding frequency.

Your pH meter problem can be solved by keeping the tip of your pH meter submersed in a jar of storage solution. 1 molar KCL or buy premixed for 10x the price.

weed420420420420420

weed420420420420420

The plant shouldn't need anything at all but the soil until it's at least that big. You're doing a little too much stuff. Trying too hard.
It should not run into any type of deficiency at that size with good soil. You should only be beginning just now to do all that calmag stuff.
Also I wouldn't recommend increasing the veg hours once they have a rhythm established.

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

Peat isn't soil. It doesn't have nutes besides a little N at the beginning. Better results are obtained by feeding complete nutes with every watering in peat. Even in the beginning.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Peat isn't soil. It doesn't have nutes besides a little N at the beginning. Better results are obtained by feeding complete nutes with every watering in peat. Even in the beginning.
"Better results are obtained by feeding complete nutes with every watering in peat. Even in the beginning."......???? really?/?? I'll stick with the nute companies recommendations an feed every second time.......I've been in peat mixes for 25+ years and I rarely back to back feed, I'll only do that if I see a need. I start feeding lightly at about 2 -3 weeks once they're out of the solo cup with 3/3/3/1 ml Micro/Grow/Bloom/Floralicious/ 1ml phup

Latest posts

Top Bottom