Looking for advanced growers thoughts on this flowering nutrient deficiency / excess- Thanks!!!

• Thread starter Dope Grower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dope Grower

Dope Grower

Here are some plants in week 7 of flower ( ~9/10 week strains ) they are in a greenhouse under 1000W double ended HPS in 5 gallon containers is a nice soil mix from a trusted purveyor.

Irrigation water source contain is well most notable thing about it is ~120ppm of calcium

not knowing this initially we have had calcium forward, low nitrogen approach to fertilization. The thought being we wanted to encourage tighter internode spacing and reduce pest susceptibility.

Using AEA nutrients and some simple JADAM style JMS brews weekly for increase biology

About week 5 of flowering noticed some yellowing, figured beginnings of nitrogen store consumption seemed a little earlier continued to feed with basically no additional nitrogen.

symptoms persisted and got worse, more yellowing, petioles and meristem moving from reddish to red/purple, entire yellow leaves , with yellowing seeming to climb from lowers up, eventually shriveling lower canopy leaves and yellowing generally, more exaggerated purple stems.

Then this leaf tip burning with and upward curling.

My current running theory is I shorted the plants on nitrogen so they have natural yellow flowering fade that's being exaggerated as the plants run short on N, coupled with an over calcification of the soil which may have started locking out Potassium ( which I have applied pretty sparingly ) and Magnesium, which I have applied somewhat regularly but may just be getting locked out. - This may be somewhat or totally off base, not a new grower but I have no ego so eager to hear peoples feedback.

If the test confirmed that I will probably do a light foliar feed with Potassium and Magnesium, and some really small amounts of minor boron, zinc and sulpher. + Feed phosphorus once more through the drip and call it good, fresh water until harvest.

I don't have a run off pH but, I generally don't PH to often being in soil. But we are running some tests and just got samples out for leaf analysis as well as soil and water.

But I am really interested to see what the community has to offer in the way of hypothesis.

This is a new spot, with a new soil source, new water source, new cultivars and new nutrients so we are in the sharper bend of the new spot learning curve.

Incredibly grateful for your feedback. My great thanks!

Looking for advanced growers thoughts on this flowering nutrient deficiency  excess  thanks 9
Hello All,

Looking for advanced growers thoughts on this flowering nutrient deficiency  excess  thanks 3
Looking for advanced growers thoughts on this flowering nutrient deficiency  excess  thanks

Looking for advanced growers thoughts on this flowering nutrient deficiency  excess  thanks 2

Looking for advanced growers thoughts on this flowering nutrient deficiency  excess  thanks 4

Looking for advanced growers thoughts on this flowering nutrient deficiency  excess  thanks 5

Looking for advanced growers thoughts on this flowering nutrient deficiency  excess  thanks 6

Looking for advanced growers thoughts on this flowering nutrient deficiency  excess  thanks 7

Looking for advanced growers thoughts on this flowering nutrient deficiency  excess  thanks 8

Looking for advanced growers thoughts on this flowering nutrient deficiency  excess  thanks 10

Looking for advanced growers thoughts on this flowering nutrient deficiency  excess  thanks 11

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I didn't read the whole post but I can already tell from the photos, looks like they haven't gotten enough nitrogen in the first couple weeks of flower. Maybe too much calcium in your water as well.

Dope Grower

Dope Grower

I didn't read the whole post but I can already tell from the photos, looks like they haven't gotten enough nitrogen in the first couple weeks of flower. Maybe too much calcium in your water as well.

That sounds about right, debating whether or not to add any N this late in the game, my feeling is little or none, damage it done. Thank you for your response Deadstill

ognaToN

ognaToN

Not experienced, but just suggesting an Mg deficiency, possibly due to lock out as long as your pH is good.
Foliar feeding in wk 7 might be too late, though not sure if watering in epsom salts would correct the issue.
Good luck!

JohnnyApp

JohnnyApp

High temperatures such as those found in commercial greenhouses can cause plants to uptake greater amounts of water through (transpiration). If nutrient salts are dissolved in the water, then they also uptake those salts which can lead to overfeeding. If the plant is simply attempting to use more water, in an effort to cool itself down, then lower your ec levels to accommodate this request without overfeeding. Flush your medium with a mild nutrient solution and test your runoff for ec and pH, and adjust until you find the correct photosynthetic balance. Judging from the badass greenhouse, I assume you already know which pH range is acceptable lol. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Dope Grower

Dope Grower

High temperatures such as those found in commercial greenhouses can cause plants to uptake greater amounts of water through (transpiration). If nutrient salts are dissolved in the water, then they also uptake those salts which can lead to overfeeding. If the plant is simply attempting to use more water, in an effort to cool itself down, then lower your ec levels to accommodate this request without overfeeding. Flush your medium with a mild nutrient solution and test your runoff for ec and pH, and adjust until you find the correct photosynthetic balance. Judging from the badass greenhouse, I assume you already know which pH range is acceptable lol. Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply Johnny. Our feeds are all organic, mineral extractions. We do run relatively high temps, and C02 but also a pretty high RH which keeps VPD lower and I believe slows transpiration rate. The thought may have merit in so much as the room with worse symptoms has higher Co2 levels and thus may be cycling water / photosynthesizing at a higher rate. Our medium hasn't been drying out perceptively faster than usual but it's possible it has increased some and just wasn't enough to notice.

Greatly appreciate your feedback. Hoping more folks chime in. Will be interesting to share sap analysis and updates.

MrMackey

MrMackey

Sorry I can’t be of much help however I get something that looks very similar in my rooms and have just started adding fans and filters to run 5mins per hour day and night due to reading about off gassing which causes some messed up looking leaves it’s early days for me to tell if it’s solved my problem but so far things are looking better. I’ll be lurking very keen to see what solves this and if I suss it my end of course I’ll post what it was. Best of luck pal

Latest posts

Top Bottom