Looking for Apera EC60 (EC, TDS, Salinity) users for a few questions

• Thread starter marcd455
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
marcd455

marcd455

Ok so I'm pretty confused here, I am a rookie using meters and I think i jumped right into the deep end with the Apera EC60. From all my internet researching I thought i was completely comfortable understanding EC readings as well as the conversion to tds/ppm. Everytime i have heard EC used it was thrown around in small 1 decimal point readings (i.e. 1.2, 0.8, 2.1) but upon opening and attempting to use my E60 for the first time i notice it is using a much different system. My meter is displaying larger numbers with the increment μS, for example my tap water is 262 μS when i check the conductivity. Now the apera meters also read PPM but from what i understand in the users manual the PPM is actually just a conversion formula directly figured from the EC value. So i am unsure how μS is converted to EC and furthermore ppm. I believe the proper PPM scale i will be using is the "500PPM Scale" AKA "NaCl Scale". In the manual it says TDS coefficent can be 0.40-1.00, and the factory default is set to .71, does this mean in order to achieve the "500ppm Scale" i would want to set the coefficient to 0.5? So my main questions for you guys would be what is the proper coffecient to aquire a proper PPM reading based on the 500 scale and what is the difference between EC and μS. i will attach some photos showing the manual and pen. All the conversions im seeing online say 1 EC=1 μS/cm and EC*1000/2=PPM, this means my tap water is 150,000ppm, clearly im missing something because im expecting 100-300ppm at my tap. IM LOST please help.
Aperaissues
Aperaissues2
Aperaissues3

Ive noticed the same number EC numbers i mentioned before are from a bluelab pen. apparently bluelab pens measure EC in their own way. Bluelab and apera both measure EC with a completely different value? huh?

Long story short I just want my Apera EC60 to read ppm in the 500ppm scale because this is what General Hydroponics Website feeding schedules are based on. Do i just switch my TDS coeffecient to .5?

Last edited:
marcd455

marcd455

Slowly figuring out my own issue, sometimes you just to type it all our in a forum post to start chipping aweay at the answer lol

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Slowly figuring out my own issue, sometimes you just to type it all our in a forum post to start chipping aweay at the answer lol

hey man ...it's the weekend...be patient....some of the most talented growers on the planet are here.......mostly without ego...hang in there....sometimes beer must be drank and ladies taken care of B4 you get a reply....Cheers dude,,,,your getting into some semi-complicated grey areas here.just be prepared to answer if your growing in soil ...hydro...cocoa..PH,humidity...ect...you will get your answers I'm sure

marcd455

marcd455

hey man ...it's the weekend...be patient....some of the most talented growers on the planet are here.......mostly without ego...hang in there....sometimes beer must be drank and ladies taken care of B4 you get a reply....Cheers dude,,,,your getting into some semi-complicated grey areas here.just be prepared to answer if your growing in soil ...hydro...cocoa..PH,humidity...ect...you will get your answers I'm sure
Thanks man, loving the community here. First grow of a long die-hard passionate hobby. The grow now is about week 4 or 5, bagseed bean in coco with GH Floranova nutes under a dinky t5 2 foot 4 bulb 6500k (Spider Farmer SF4000 just arrived!!!), wanted to do a practice run before I pop my barneys farm strawberry lemonade and tangerine dream. Got a lot of stuff i want to iron out with my test run, like these simple misunderstandings with my EC meter. Also waiting on a few more supplies like a 5x5 tent(probably gorilla, any suggestions?)and a hydro logic RO150 system with 40 gallon storage barrel. The attached pic is end of week 3 after shes been topped and first LST applied, ill upload a current pic soon.
First LST

marcd455

marcd455

heres the current photos. side growth responding very well to topping and LST. going to start topping pretty aggressively soon, get this girl bushy for her scrog.

Grow1
Grow2
marcd455

marcd455

Figured it all out, if anyone else has the Apera meters and has the saem questions i did those 2 links should clarify it

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

Figured it all out, if anyone else has the Apera meters and has the saem questions i did those 2 links should clarify it
While I'm not new to growing I am a complete rookie with all these new methods I have learned on here so i'm giving you this link to on of my recent threads for you to read over....any little info helps and there some interesting tid bits in there about growing with organics and the tds/ec meters as i'm learning the same things you are right now

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

While I'm not new to growing I am a complete rookie with all these new methods I have learned on here so i'm giving you this link to on of my recent threads for you to read over....any little info helps and there some interesting tid bits in there about growing with organics and the tds/ec meters as i'm learning the same things you are right now
lol...almost forgot the link

BigHuff

BigHuff

Thanks for this, I just got mine and was kinda pissed it didn't read EC. Now I know it does. Awesome.

Top Bottom