Looking for coco feeding schedule suggestions...

• Thread starter okcomputer42
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

okcomputer42

New to Coco and looking for feeding schedule suggestions...

The idea is to run a coco/perlite (75/25) mix, hand watered, allowing 10-20% run off each feed, with r/o water ph'd @ 5.8, and staying in the 600-1000 ppm range, but never going over 1000 ppm on nute days. I really want to feed like this, but I'm not sure if this is correct. Please help!

Sun- Feed w nutes
Mon- Feed w nutes
Tue- Feed w Kelp, Big Bloom, Great White, Molasses
Wed- Feed w nutes
Thu- Feed w nutes
Fri- Feed w Kelp, Big Bloom, Great White, Molasses
*Sat- Feed w plain water & Molasses
*On the 4th week that Sat would be just pure water.

On the 8th week or final week, Sun - Tue would be feed w water & molasses and Wed - Thu would just be plain ph'd water. The last Fri and Sat will get no water, no lights. Then harvest time!

The nutes I have are Canna Coco A&B, PK 13/14, Rhizo, Boost, MagiCal, Age Old Kelp, Bud Candy, Great White, Molasses, FF Big Bloom, Hygrozyme, and compost tea. I'll be basically following Canna's regular nute feeding schedule, but also adding 5ml MagiCal and 4 ml hygrozyme every nute feeding. Kelp days get Age Old Kelp, FF Big Bloom, Great White, Molasses and that's it. Bud Candy is going in only on the nute days BUT only week 1-6. Molasses will replace Bud Candy after and go until week 8.

Am I over doing it?
Should I feed/water every other day instead?
Maybe a coco/perlite (50/50) mix might be more appropriate with this?
Should I eliminate any nutes? Add any nutes?
Is there any specific order in which I should mix these nutes together?
Do you guys have any other ideas?
If this is all wrong, PLEASE leave your suggestion. I have no experience with coco, only soil, but I've done a ton of research and came up with this myself.
Thanks in advance fellow farmers!

Peace and love,
OK

P.S. - I'm growing in 4.2 gal Superroots Airpots and the strain I'll be running is Alaska Thunder Fuck. 4 plants in a sealed room with a 1000 watt air cooled light. 20 - 30 day veg then 12/12.

O

okcomputer42

Sorry if this is a lot to take in at once. I just figured I would list everything for clarity.

Peace and love,
OK

A

Albert

that will keep ya busy ...
sounds like a recipe for some tasty nugs! Is alaska TF the same as Matanuska TF? i had a Matanuska TF awhile back ...the berry flavor was sweeet.

you dont have to add Great white that often to coco, you can also inoculate the coco with the great white before planting . Water it into the mix and let it set for a couple days. Gnatrol(BT) also , to keep them gnats at bay.
Like once a week.

you can prob pass on the Rhizo, Great White with age old or bigbloom and hygrozyme, sounds like good roots abundant.

age old bloom and FF big bloom , are those not basiclly the same thing? i forget the npk of those two...I know they are both organic teas. :thinking

follow Canna's instructions on mixing A+B, A first and let it sit for a few minutes, then add B to the mix.

With the organics, let your mix brew for a day before using it..get it nice and bubbly, lots of air . That will get things boomin with bacterial activity.

you may want to throw in a day for plain water, your plants will tell you if they like the mix .

in all, sounds like some tasty nugs a'comin...

O

okcomputer42

that will keep ya busy ...
sounds like a recipe for some tasty nugs! Is alaska TF the same as Matanuska TF? i had a Matanuska TF awhile back ...the berry flavor was sweeet.

you dont have to add Great white that often to coco, you can also inoculate the coco with the great white before planting . Water it into the mix and let it set for a couple days. Gnatrol(BT) also , to keep them gnats at bay.
Like once a week.

you can prob pass on the Rhizo, Great White with age old or bigbloom and hygrozyme, sounds like good roots abundant.

age old bloom and FF big bloom , are those not basiclly the same thing? i forget the npk of those two...I know they are both organic teas. :thinking

follow Canna's instructions on mixing A+B, A first and let it sit for a few minutes, then add B to the mix.

With the organics, let your mix brew for a day before using it..get it nice and bubbly, lots of air . That will get things boomin with bacterial activity.

you may want to throw in a day for plain water, your plants will tell you if they like the mix .

in all, sounds like some tasty nugs a'comin...

Thanks for the response Albert! ATF and Matanuska are the same.
The Age Old I have is actually just plain 100 % Northern Sea Kelp, not a bloom. I guess it would be similar to the Rhizo, if anything.
I'm kinda approaching the Fox Farms Big Bloom as if it were a compost tea because it's basically that (earthworm castings, bat guano, etc).

That's an interesting suggestion on the Gnatrol. Do you think it's absolutely necessary to add once a week? Is it a chem that will it affect the plant or beneficials? Hmmm.. I think that I may grab some just in case of gnats as a precaution. I definitely do not wanna deal with an infestation. I was under the impression that gnats only came around with high humidity issues though. Is that not the case?

Peace and love,
OK

P.S. I read somewhere a while back about this guy hanging up Cedar Magic as a natural pest/gnat deterrent. They hate the smell of cedar oil. Just thought I throw that in there. It'll make your grow room smell like cedar and you won't have to use pesticides. It's sort of a win/win.

Here's a link for the cedar magic...

O

okcomputer42

Anybody else have an opinion on my nute schedule?

Peace and love,
OK

R

rattyraiz

frankly I think you are making it wayyyy too complicated on yourself. I like the mantra of K.I.S.S and feed what they need, forget a schedule and read the plants. my .02

A

Albert

Gnatrol and Great white are bacteria/fungi inoculants,reactivated with water.
Both can be applied once a week. Since coco stays moist, the gnats will like to nest in the mix and the larve wreck havoc on roots. Sometimes I think coco has some bug eggs already in it. So letting it "brew" with gnatrol(BT) a natural bacterial pesticide should zap the bugs in the coco and keep them from taking foot in your garden.

when i started using coco, I was pulling my hair out over gnats..They really can be a pain in the rear if they take foot in the garden.

cedar works , but it sticks to your buds too, cedar flavored ATF :smoke

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

On my last indoor run I fed 6 days and flushed on the 7th. Every two weeks after the flush I would hit them with some Great White. I used Roots Organics Coco Coir and also used House and Gardens Drip Clean which is supposed to help your medium from building up salts. Also added CalMag to the mix. This is VERY important.

I used DD's nute schedule as a base model as well. The only thing I really deviated from was I used Connoisseur instead of Bloom and I went a little to hot on it in the 5th week. Still had a pretty bangin harvest. Hope this helps.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Gnatrol and Great white are bacteria/fungi inoculants,reactivated with water.
Both can be applied once a week. Since coco stays moist, the gnats will like to nest in the mix and the larve wreck havoc on roots. Sometimes I think coco has some bug eggs already in it. So letting it "brew" with gnatrol(BT) a natural bacterial pesticide should zap the bugs in the coco and keep them from taking foot in your garden.

when i started using coco, I was pulling my hair out over gnats..They really can be a pain in the rear if they take foot in the garden.

cedar works , but it sticks to your buds too, cedar flavored ATF :smoke

Do not apply great white until there are roots for the fungi to attach to. no use in using it to pre-treat your coco. inho that is a waste of the product.
Great white can be used at half strength and works great.

gnatrol is not cheap. no use in using it if you do not have gnats.

cheaper option is misquito bits or dunks.

coco should not have gnats in it. If it does you should go with another brand.

CaliforniaGrown said:
How much Calmag should be added to coco? Is it different for every week?

5ml per gallon is added to the water. Is more required if your are using reverse osmosis water. May not need as much if you have good tap water.

Stays the same mostly. Some strains (kushes) like a little more calmg. so may need a little more week 6. Gotta look at the plant and see what it is doing.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
The idea is to run a coco/perlite (75/25) mix, hand watered, allowing 10-20% run off each feed, with r/o water ph'd @ 5.8, and staying in the 600-1000 ppm range, but never going over 1000 ppm on nute days. I really want to feed like this, but I'm not sure if this is correct. Please help!

Sun- Feed w nutes
Mon- Feed w nutes
Tue- Feed w Kelp, Big Bloom, Great White, Molasses
Wed- Feed w nutes
Thu- Feed w nutes
Fri- Feed w Kelp, Big Bloom, Great White, Molasses
*Sat- Feed w plain water & Molasses
*On the 4th week that Sat would be just pure water.

On the 8th week or final week, Sun - Tue would be feed w water & molasses and Wed - Thu would just be plain ph'd water. The last Fri and Sat will get no water, no lights. Then harvest time!

The nutes I have are Canna Coco A&B, PK 13/14, Rhizo, Boost, MagiCal, Age Old Kelp, Bud Candy, Great White, Molasses, FF Big Bloom, Hygrozyme, and compost tea. I'll be basically following Canna's regular nute feeding schedule, but also adding 5ml MagiCal and 4 ml hygrozyme every nute feeding. Kelp days get Age Old Kelp, FF Big Bloom, Great White, Molasses and that's it. Bud Candy is going in only on the nute days BUT only week 1-6. Molasses will replace Bud Candy after and go until week 8.

Am I over doing it?
Should I feed/water every other day instead?
Should I eliminate any nutes? Add any nutes?
If this is all wrong, PLEASE leave your suggestion. I have no experience with coco, only soil, but I've done a ton of research and came up with this myself.
Thanks in advance fellow farmers!

Peace and love,
OK

P.S. - I'm growing in 4.2 gal Superroots Airpots and the strain I'll be running is Alaska Thunder Fuck. 4 plants in a sealed room with a 1000 watt air cooled light. 20 - 30 day veg then 12/12.

Am I over doing it? Looks like it. Simple easy plan to start is run the canna line up with calmg. Optionally use the greatwhite molassses and hygrozyme during waterings. 1x a week. Then base and appropriate booster during feeds. Maybe compost tea 1x a week.

Should I feed/water every other day instead? Maybe depend on the plants and how moist the coco is.
Yes, if you want to water/feed more often. Are you hand watering? I do not see how you will keep up and keep the medium from drying out. once roots takes over they could dry out in less than a day in my experience. (even with 30% perlite and airpots)

Should I eliminate any nutes? Add any nutes? I don't see why you would use bud candy and switch to molasses. I would use just boost if you got it.
Base nutes first then additives. Ph and make sure ph is stable then feed to water
feeding every day may not be needed. Watering every day may be
needed if your room is warm and the pots dry out.

if your not using c02 the plants will not uptake as much nutes and can more easily be overfed.

I would go with a simple plan to start, then if you do well then being in something new and see if it helps. Then there is a method to the madness.

If you water with ph'd water and calmg that will moisten the medium.
Next day you go in and feed them. Since the roots are already moist less chance of burning. Then the feeding pushes out the water and saturated the medium with food. Then can repeat.

Why big bloom every few days? I would not follow that routine for all of flower. How did big bloom get into the mix. Canna designed a feeding schedule, why not use that?

With watering with r/o water 5ml per gallon calmg to to week 6 of flower, week 8 for 10 week strain.

I have gotten excellent results with feeding one time per week with a 75/25 mix like you describe.

if you went 50/50 maybe you could feed more often but why?
if you do not have a method to keep watering /feeding I feel that may be a problem. I am only going off my experience with coco and how fast it can dry out.

You gotta watch the plants and see what they do.

Basically I would say do not try and re-invent a feeding schedule.
Better safe than sorry, walk before you run.

To break it down:

Just canna nutes + calmg is enough to deliver dank and yield.
If you cant resist add the great white/hygrozyme. first run best to K.i.s.s.

With boost no need for molasses or bud candy. too much sugar is not good.
Because of r/o water the calmg will do.
optional: great white once a week up to 2nd week of flower.
if money is no object, can use hygrozyme every feeding. I use once a week to save $$ and still got white fuzzy roots.

Watch your ph after adding rhizotonic. Can make the ph rise alot.

Just these products alone deliver:

canna a/b, boost rhizotonic, pk. Canna designed them to work together.
(Other than probably cal/mg added to r.o water)

Another reason for kiss.
if something goes wrong you got way too many bottle to try and figure out where the problem is. What if big bloom does not mix well with a canna product? Want t find out the hard way or play it safe?

Hope that helps.

O

okcomputer42

Thanks Leadsled! :boogie:
That was a wealth of knowledge that completely makes sense. I'll try exact what you said.

Peace and love,
OK

P.S. And thanks to everyone else who contributed to this thread as well :kiss

O

okcomputer42

Thanks for the tip, Leadsled! They contain the exact same ingredient as gnatrol at a much cheaper price. Sweet! How would you apply them though... break off a tiny piece, dilute in water, and then water them into the coco?

Peace and love,
OK

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Thanks for the tip, Leadsled! They contain the exact same ingredient as gnatrol at a much cheaper price. Sweet! How would you apply them though... break off a tiny piece, dilute in water, and then water them into the coco?

Peace and love,
OK

Welcome.
the bits you sprinkle on the top of the coco. as you water it get released into the medium. the dunk are small donuts you can break em up and place into a stocking then put into res. They take a few week to take hold.

Have not used it but Skyhigh mention another liquid product that look good here:

gnatrol dunks take about 2 week to take effect.

Another product that works excellent and is not a pesticide. (but costs more) is sns 203c. Can be used as a foliar spray and root drench. workd immediately. Can save $$ but spraying sns203C heavily on the top of the medium. Will cover top 2-3 inches and kill the larvae.

Combine yellow sticky traps and/or sprays to kill the adults (sns203C or dont bug me spray to kill on contact)

then gnatrol dunk bit or liquid mosquito control to kil the larvae in the medium.

eyes

eyes

treat coco like hydro-that means use nutes every water or a nutrient problem will occur.How many and how much can be a problem as well.Stick with a good fert that has most macro and micros in it and you wont need a million additives.I used gh flora nova bloom, molasses and sea kelp( i believe it was neptune).SEemed to always balance out at 6.0-6.3 with that combo and r.o water.

You seem the right idea allowing for run off.Without it you will have lock out problems.SO ph 5.8-6.3,10-15 percent run off .Keep an eye out for cal mag as well.I did use a touch of botanicare cal mag in veg week2 and flower week 3,5.

never had a problem with overwatering cause it drains so well.

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

eyes has got it!
I use Cal/mag 1/4 teaspoon per gal. every day.
Coco Has a lockout problem, runoff is a must.
I will flush as often as every 4th day if the plants look like they need it.

Rushoe

Rushoe

I haven't been in the coco that long a few runs and I am about to finish up another in like 6 days or something like that so in the short time I have been using cocoI guess the trick is u gotta read the plants their really is no way around it every plant is different so their really is no set schedule even the lucas is really just a base that gets tweaked to the plants needs.

A

Albert

Do not apply great white until there are roots for the fungi to attach to. no use in using it to pre-treat your coco. inho that is a waste of the product.
Great white can be used at half strength and works great.

gnatrol is not cheap. no use in using it if you do not have gnats.

coco should not have gnats in it. If it does you should go with another brand.

5ml per gallon is added to the water. Is more required if your are using reverse osmosis water. May not need as much if you have good tap water.

Stays the same mostly. Some strains (kushes) like a little more calmg. so may need a little more week 6. Gotta look at the plant and see what it is doing.

gotcha...
Coco is rinsed many times before it is baled and packaged for sale. It sits out in the sun to dry, leaving it exposed to many micro-insects that lay eggs in the moist coco. The insect eggs lay dormant until we, the grower starts to water it back the life. EarthJuice coco,Hydrofarms can come loaded with root mealies, and some other unidentified nemotodes( not all are good) Empire , that stuff grew field grasses in my pots! and major gnats!. Not all my experiences with these coco products were the same..Some were clean, free of excess salts..and sometimes the coir required 3+rinses before it was under 200ppm

Bacterial inoculants are never really Fast acting, having an established Bacillius t.i. colony just acts as a barrier as the bacteria will have established endotoxins already in the planting mix.. Its like spraying a systemic miticide on plants that dont have mites on them. Its more of a precaution, and since BT wont just "knock out" gnats by touching them, the actual toxins produced by BT will be there if the larve do show up.

Gnatrol is what i use, there are cheaper products, but Gnatrol actually has a dose...Where as those dunks are like grabbing a handful sugar out of a jar when the recipe says 1cup. I also treat my coco like hydroton...many flood cycles a day, so my coco stays wet.

leadsled, I know you know whats up, we just have different methods of using bacterial/fungi inoculants.. Great tips for OKcomputer's brain to soak in. He should be rocking it soon.

F

fuzzy

Jah Hoover

If it was me,and it used to be,I would use JHs nute :damnhippie:schedule.just my 2 cents.peace, Fuzzy

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
all the facts jack

There are so many factors for ideally growing in coco, could write a small book. I hope none of my posts come across wrong. I am into knowledge transfer and sharing so everyone learns and improves. my intentions are never to steer anyone wrong nor am I am NOT a know it all. I am constantly trying to learn and improve and enjoy sharing that in the hopes that others will get the most in the least amount of time.

I have alot of love and passion for growing. I like to know the facts and all of them. Then can use those facts to my advantage.

Unfortunately I been told or hear or read statements like "it does not matter". Well all those little factors add up to make or break a grow's results. basically it does matter to me.

I wish when I started in coco there were more facts out there. Little did I know that the commerical ag industry had already been using coco for years.

you cannot over water coco is a very general statement that does not disclose all the facts. coco can hold up to 8x its weight in water and still retain air. ideally more air in the medium performs better. I whipped together a chart like someone explained and drew out to me. It really helped me out. Once this sunk in then things started to really excel. Plants were reaching for the sky and not as droopy. 2-3" of growth instead of 1" daily. Also the chart kinda shows why you go not want to let coco dry (or any medium) and the lower chart is water holding/air porosity of saturated substrates (thanks jk)

water_air_chart.png

treat coco like hydro-that means use nutes every water or a nutrient problem will occur.How many and how much can be a problem as well.Stick with a good fert that has most macro and micros in it and you wont need a million additives.I used gh flora nova bloom, molasses and sea kelp( i believe it was neptune).SEemed to always balance out at 6.0-6.3 with that combo and r.o water.

You seem the right idea allowing for run off.Without it you will have lock out problems.SO ph 5.8-6.3,10-15 percent run off .Keep an eye out for cal mag as well.I did use a touch of botanicare cal mag in veg week2 and flower week 3,5.

never had a problem with overwatering cause it drains so well.

run off is very key. I was only trying to provide a rough guide because you can use coco in different ways.

example %

I water to 10% runoff. then I should probably flush every 2 weeks.
I water to 20-30% runoff. can get away with less flushing.

Ec of feeding. many feedings when a plant is trying to transpire can easily allow salt build up. the plants tend to drink more water than nutes and then lockout. generally many growers enviroments have less than ideal humidity/ temp ratio (vpd) and that then accelerates this problem of excessive transpiration and water uptake.

vs

a heavier feed followed by waterings reduces the salt buildup and keeps the plant healthy. the feeding does leave behind some nutes so the plant is up taking them the rest of the week. if it was going deficient is easy to add more not take away overfeeding. A common problem is overfeeding.

to keep plant it healthy, a higher% of runoff instead of flushing can make up for less than ideal water/air ratio and schedule.

I do agree with your runoff comment and that you can treat it like hydro.

But not entirely true that you have to feed or water every day. without the proper balance I have gotten worse results than less feedings.

strain enviroment are all key factors.

I think if you do not know what your doing (like when I started, not referring to anyone here) and do feed or water everyday then you can produce worse results than if you were educated on all the facts.

my point again: I wish I was told the facts when I started not just a few sentences without details. trying to get ALL the facts out without being confusing.

for example: you can't overwater coco. fuckin a. yes coco is forgiving so you can over water and get away with it. but what if you leaned about dialing it in. open minded to try it?

example scenario:

800-1000 ppm every day x 7 days = 7000ppm in a week and your plants can get overfed. let take a bunch of water and leave behind those salts.

lets say you got less light 400-or 600 watter not 1000's and no c02, maybe a light feeding strain, maybe also a less than ideal enviroment.

plants can not uptake all them nutes and yield quality will suffer.

Try to look at the entire picture to ideally set things up.

I am not trying to put down anyone's advice, I am just trying to provide all the facts. especially ones that I wish I knew years ago when starting off in coco. instead I had to read and test what works and ask around. years ago I did not see as many people growing in coco and there was not as much info out there (online and in cannabis industry).

coco can work in many ways (hydro or not, wicking or not, top feed or ebb and flow) and it is very forgiving.

respect and thanks for sharing

gotcha...
Coco is rinsed many times before it is baled and packaged for sale. It sits out in the sun to dry, leaving it exposed to many micro-insects that lay eggs in the moist coco. The insect eggs lay dormant until we, the grower starts to water it back the life. EarthJuice coco,Hydrofarms can come loaded with root mealies, and some other unidentified nemotodes( not all are good) Empire , that stuff grew field grasses in my pots! and major gnats!. Not all my experiences with these coco products were the same..Some were clean, free of excess salts..and sometimes the coir required 3+rinses before it was under 200ppm

Bacterial inoculants are never really Fast acting, having an established Bacillius t.i. colony just acts as a barrier as the bacteria will have established endotoxins already in the planting mix.. Its like spraying a systemic miticide on plants that dont have mites on them. Its more of a precaution, and since BT wont just "knock out" gnats by touching them, the actual toxins produced by BT will be there if the larve do show up.

Gnatrol is what i use, there are cheaper products, but Gnatrol actually has a dose...Where as those dunks are like grabbing a handful sugar out of a jar when the recipe says 1cup. I also treat my coco like hydroton...many flood cycles a day, so my coco stays wet.

leadsled, I know you know whats up, we just have different methods of using bacterial/fungi inoculants.. Great tips for OKcomputer's brain to soak in. He should be rocking it soon.

the precaution may be better served as fungi that benefits the plants imho. just because you like to buy infected coco does not mean the op will and providing general advice like that is not ideal.

dunks have a dosage. 1scoop per pot every 2 weeks. forgot that gnatrol is Powdered now so little bit better too. Problem was that gnatrol liquid goes bad. both products are the same ingredient and both work (in time). Just trying to offer alternatives. coco does attract gnats as it decomposes.

that is precaution is moot if you do not kill the adults. my point is trying to share all the facts not only a portion. since you buy infected coco that works best for your setup as prevention. I do not buy infected coco and I do not have to do that type of prevention. Instead I like to be proactive with establishing healthy bacteria and fungi on the roots. if the coco is clean and roots are healthy. using great white or similar fungi will be good enough preventitive to keep away the gnats.

other problem is the advice on watering feeding. if you do overwater (yes it can be done in coco, coco is more forgiving so you can overwater and still get good results)

overwatering can also contribute to the gnat factor.

when i first grew in coco, was given same advice. you can not overwater. then i noticed something.
plants reaching for the sky sometimes and other time they are not. Maybe not droopy but leaves fall down and plant is not excelling at a fast rate. yes it is growing but not jamming. got educated on air water ratio and how because coco holds up to 8x its weight. I researched asked questions and looked into the commercial greenhouses. they been doing this a very long time and got the science to back it up. I wanted the science and proof of what works, not stoner myth disclosed without all the relevant information and facts.

fertigation can be tailored and used for better performance.

I also like feeding 4-6 times per on cycle. trick is to break the volume of the feeds down into smaller volumes but still get runoff by the end of lights on. this retains more air the medium, plants excel insteadof just grow and are reaching for the sky because they are really happy and healthy.

over watering can decrease air ratio and therefore yields and growth, and changes for gnats. reinforceing my point above not trying to be reptetitive

also have found that flooding (ebb and flow) is all or nothing and will not allow that control. yeap can use airy coco or alot more perlite to and try and help from keeping coco too saturated.

imfo dtw will prevail and perform better. thanls for sharing

If it was me,and it used to be,I would use JHs nute :damnhippie:schedule.just my 2 cents.peace, Fuzzy

Right on, post up a link to his feed. Reminds me that Zoolander also is a canna user and have his schedule posted up.

Peace

Top Bottom