Looking for compost tea recipes.

• Thread starter Kdot57
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kdot57

So I am finishing up on my current run and getting my dry tent ready for harvest. Ai I got my next run selected and about ready to go. But I want to incorporate new things into my garden and learn a few things so I plan on starting to introduce compost teas. Any input on them and possible recipes I can use or somewhere I can use to find recipes? Now what type I don’t know any thing to start with just looking for teas to get my foot into the door of it.

mancorn

mancorn

So I am finishing up on my current run and getting my dry tent ready for harvest. Ai I got my next run selected and about ready to go. But I want to incorporate new things into my garden and learn a few things so I plan on starting to introduce compost teas. Any input on them and possible recipes I can use or somewhere I can use to find recipes? Now what type I don’t know any thing to start with just looking for teas to get my foot into the door of it.
The only thing everybody agrees on is Dirt. 😀 If you have compost, you’re set, it not get a few cups of local forest dirt. It’s really the only thing you need. Compost teas are primarily about making (feeding & multipling) microorganisms, as opposed to providing fertilizers.

I normally do 5g buckets and add:

2 cups compost (or local forest dirt)
3 tbsp molasses, bacterial food (probably more than you need)
2.5 tbsp fish hydrolysate, stimulate both bacteria and fungi
3.5 tbsp kelp, encourages growth of fungi and bacteria
2.5 tsp rock phosphate, nice home for the critters

might add some:
2 tbsp humic acid - food source for all beneficial microorganisms
Bio Live - I normally have it around. Sure all the microbes & mycorrhizal fungi just die, but it has Fish Bone Meal, Fish Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Crab Meal, Shrimp Meal, Langbeinite, Basalt, Kelp Meal, Humic Acid.

1/4 cup alfalfa - although I normal just do this on it’s own as it’s more of a fertilizer with N,P,,K (Ca), magnesium (Mg), sulphur (S), Manganese (Mn), iron (Fe), copper (Cu), boron (B), and zinc (Zn).

No need to over think or stress the measurements. As long as you have good soil, water, & oxygen source (air pump) you’re good to go.

Yummy

6D04EF92 D0A5 4066 958E 83AFD4CEC1D2

Flyer from a local grow shop

5F402B67 4E7B 43C4 8B82 AB85C2F28B7B

Fermenting just alfalfa

CBE3B272 A4BA 4E90 84CE AD0195EC4410

j1sonbrother

j1sonbrother

Supporter
I highly recommend JMs
(jadam microbio solution) which is much easier than Compost tea .
U only need boiled potatoes、sea salt with some dirts, with dilution rate 1:20 when planting.
I did some experiment that those ocean dry amendments like kelp、Crab,fish meal have too much sodium and never use it again in soil.

S

sjs1488

This is very useful information thanks to all of you for the knowledge

mancorn

mancorn

I did some experiment that those ocean dry amendments like kelp、Crab,fish meal have too much sodium and never use it again in soil.
Where do you get your soil tested? Recently ordered a test and saw they had a soluble salts add-one, but looked like they just gave you a EC number and didn’t break down the calcium, magnesium, potassium, nitrate, sulfate, etc. (Don’t use bottled fertilizer, so didn’t add the option.)

7munkee

7munkee

Whatever recipe you use just make sure the water is at room temp. And I like to mix the molasses in a glass of hot water first to dissolve it.

T

taliadillydalia

Here's an oldy but goody but be warned... He uses a questionable nitrogen source 🙃

j1sonbrother

j1sonbrother

Supporter
Where do you get your soil tested? Recently ordered a test and saw they had a soluble salts add-one, but looked like they just gave you a EC number and didn’t break down the calcium, magnesium, potassium, nitrate, sulfate, etc. (Don’t use bottled fertilizer, so didn’t add the option.)
I did experiment at an agricultural university for those dry amendments near my home in china.
u can also follow the YT Soilab that he made several amendments text.
Bone Meal: The way that it's going to be broken down is going to be really slow . so it's not going to have an extreme impact on the other elements in the soil or the soil biology.it's not going to set anything out of balance with like Bone meal, unless u re using sth like a fishbone meal which you could bring in too much sodium ~chloride, because it's an Ocean input.
Sea bird Guano (High P, it's pretty quick to release , but you also have to remember that if you're already loaded up on a ton of calcium ,it's might not to be something you would want to add as your P Supplement simply . because it's probably going to have sth like 18-23 precent calcium also associated with it .From consumer stand point if you know abt ur NPK and you are trying to address sth just for phosphous you are inadvertenty adding sth that you may not want to be adding so it's important to know exactly what other elements are associated with the mineral amendments or the organic meals that you are using .
I don't current use kelpmeal anymore. because if U re looking at the NPK, it's usually less than 1 percent across the board(N:1%.P:0.25 %K:0.25%) with high heavy mental、high chloride、high sodium content.
All Ocean inputs there re oystershell~crustacean meal~fishbone meal, all those things have higher sodium associated with them .

Top Bottom