Looking For Info On ''runts''

• Thread starter zzzybil
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
zzzybil

zzzybil

No doubt there are many reasons and causes for runts . Looking for opinions , or anyone that cares to expand on the subject .

Yea I suppose cut your losses and discard is one option . Question is do some slow starters rally ? At what point is it just ridiculous to think a runt might blossom ??? Are some just persnickity and delicate ? I've seen info as seeds that are ''good for beginners'' as in some special care or knowledge is involved in '' harder to cultivate '' Anyone care to expand on that . Would that ''beginner'' inexperience contribute to a runt

My only purple kush fem seedling has basically died 3x as in lay down dead only to stand again with nothing on top but a brown crust and imagined green dot in the center. Seriously give up on it only to wake and see it standing again ..... It's got 4 tiny leaves now and seems stronger. Giving up is not really an option as it has struggled so valiantly to live ! Honestly as hopeless as it seems , been talkin to it almost 3 wks now . Never in my life has a sprout that keeled over survived let alone 3x. It actually looks like a healthy seedling now except its 3 wks old instead of 3 days . Am I foolish ? Could it be over the hump and ready to be a happy - IDK - What say yee breeders ? Lost cause ? Can't say delicate - it's a tuff lil nothing trying to survive in spite of ME......... OR MAYBE skin of teeth survival of a ''not for beginner ''

This may not be the proper spot for this question ? Picked this one as maybe breeders have experience with runts during their endeavors ? Or maybe breeders have insight ?

Madbud

Madbud

If a seedling lays down just leave it alone. They stand up eventually. You can prop them up with a bent paperclip or pipecleaner but that risks damaging the delicate root system. Culling runts depends on how many plants you have left. My runtiest runt this year produced the sweetest buds. Good luck

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

I have personally never seen a runt pick up and go normal. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but ive never seen it. Flower quality is expressed inline with the genetics, but ive never seen them size up, or speed up if they were a legitimate runt. I've flowered a 6" pos for almost 6 months one time lol.

H

Highkev

I had a runt but I didn’t want to keep it for 10 month veg time to fill out the space so I discarded it

zzzybil

zzzybil

Well out of 7 asst seed bank beans theoretically better genetics than bag seed . 5 cups already discarded . The beans cracked in water looked on go viable ! Just never came up in the soil . After only 2 popped up in 2 weeks - maybe gave up too soon ?The only other survivor besides the purple kush has not had the dramatic laid down and play dead but is microscopic - 2 teeny tiny green leaves . Same 3 wks old maybe 1/2 inch tall ..........Beyond not growing I actually think it shrunk. I transplanted the 2 survivors into the same larger pot thinking ''maybe'' still a chance . I'd like to blame the tiny pale grey beans that looked nothing in size or color as bag seeds but no doubt it's me . Trying to diy an organic soil , Experimenting with water, my well looks like 8+ with the drops , store water - the other end of spectrum. Waiting on a cheap pen and some ph down to doctor up my well water. Last 2 years I've had a outside container where only 1 or 2 midget survivors made it to flower . Year before last the 1 2ft survivor looked great tho botched the cure, or miracle grow yucky ? combination of dozens of operator error. This year 2 18'' hermie ruderalis from bag seed LOL ! ZERO rez ? Rolled dice - got some better genetics .........Discovered online info- duhhhhhhhhh. Had no clue I was doing so much WRONG....these 2 midgets ??? A few months ago I was treated to some purple kush - omg LOVED IT - yeah no guarantee this would be the same but....I can dream.

. ABSORBING INFO LIKE A SPONGE - Maybe I'll get the hang of it . I enjoy a small spray of colorful annuals , never had much luck with tomatoes other than the lil cherry type. I kill 90% of the home depo seedlings . Anything thats not indestructable I manage to kill.... tho I have tried amending my clay with peat , etc - the alkaline well water may share some blame .
There is a difference between a runt and an unhealthy seedling.

Beyond color and stance ??? Looked at a million pics nute burn , deficiencies etc etc . A happy plant is fairly obvious ? Guessing if it looks happy - it's healthy. However this failure to thrive is frustrating and yup something is wrong. No head for math but 2 outta 7 and the 2 survivors runts ??????????? Hell the purple drama queen at least appears to be growing , I half expect the other will not - never seen such a tiny sprout in my life......... I'm amazed it's still trying

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Well out of 7 asst seed bank beans theoretically better genetics than bag seed . 5 cups already discarded . The beans cracked in water looked on go viable ! Just never came up in the soil . After only 2 popped up in 2 weeks - maybe gave up too soon ?The only other survivor besides the purple kush has not had the dramatic laid down and play dead but is microscopic - 2 teeny tiny green leaves . Same 3 wks old maybe 1/2 inch tall ..........Beyond not growing I actually think it shrunk. I transplanted the 2 survivors into the same larger pot thinking ''maybe'' still a chance . I'd like to blame the tiny pale grey beans that looked nothing in size or color as bag seeds but no doubt it's me . Trying to diy an organic soil , Experimenting with water, my well looks like 8+ with the drops , store water - the other end of spectrum. Waiting on a cheap pen and some ph down to doctor up my well water. Last 2 years I've had a outside container where only 1 or 2 midget survivors made it to flower . Year before last the 1 2ft survivor looked great tho botched the cure, or miracle grow yucky ? combination of dozens of operator error. This year 2 18'' hermie ruderalis from bag seed LOL ! ZERO rez ? Rolled dice - got some better genetics .........Discovered online info- duhhhhhhhhh. Had no clue I was doing so much WRONG....these 2 midgets ??? A few months ago I was treated to some purple kush - omg LOVED IT - yeah no guarantee this would be the same but....I can dream.

. ABSORBING INFO LIKE A SPONGE - Maybe I'll get the hang of it . I enjoy a small spray of colorful annuals , never had much luck with tomatoes other than the lil cherry type. I kill 90% of the home depo seedlings . Anything thats not indestructable I manage to kill.... tho I have tried amending my clay with peat , etc - the alkaline well water may share some blame .

Beyond color and stance ??? Looked at a million pics nute burn , deficiencies etc etc . A happy plant is fairly obvious ? Guessing if it looks happy - it's healthy. However this failure to thrive is frustrating and yup something is wrong. No head for math but 2 outta 7 and the 2 survivors runts ??????????? Hell the purple drama queen at least appears to be growing , I half expect the other will not - never seen such a tiny sprout in my life......... I'm amazed it's still trying

I'd say you got a bad batch of beans but the way your describing your success (or lack of) across the board makes me think it has more to do with your soil or water (8+, ouch). Try a different soil and some store bought water. Have you done soil pH tests? What type of soil are you using? More info, including pics, would help the growers on here help you better. Look at other posts where they've given a comprehensive environmental profile, temps, lighting, nutes, etc... Post this info, then ask what can be done.

Everyone here is more than willing to help if you give us the means to do so. There are many advanced growers here that can identify issues in seconds given the right info.

Welcome to the Farm.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Simply overwatering or even mishandling the taprooted seed a little can damage fragile seedlings.

Also they need good draining proper soil mix.

Need pics to help.

kjohn

kjohn

Trying to diy an organic soil , Experimenting with water, my well looks like 8+ with the drops , store water - the other end of spectrum. Waiting on a cheap pen and some ph down to doctor up my well water.

. - the alkaline well water may share some blame .

Hey .. my well water is 7.8 pH .. By adding 2mil of distilled white vinegar to a gallon of well water I drop the pH to 6.0 ~6.2 .. I've heard some growers use organic apple cider vinegar to adjust a high pH.

zzzybil

zzzybil

The soil mix was a concoction I mixed up - bagged top soil , worm castings,blackcow manure , peat , bonemeal , doc sombody myco seedling starter , perlite and a little bit of bloodmeal . No doubt ratios wrong - about 1/3 peat,soil,perlite , then couple inches WC and manure , healthy sprinkle of the bonemeal and stir /mix till arm fallin off . Fabric pots. Started or tried anyway in the peat swelling wet and go I thought
I had the drops on time and the horror of super alkaline well water . Tested store water and the distilled won -per the drops .So I ordered the pen tester and ph down . Oh well - kilt the seeds already ! Except for the 1 seemingly still trying purple kush.
Started a compost pile with a buncha holloween pumpkin guts and debris . Lotta oak leaves soon - going to take a stab at souping up the clay here and start a coupla seeds to transplant come May. I almost killed my lime tree with coffee grounds year before last . HAHA top dressed with a bucket full.
Are regular seeds stronger per say than the fem versions - YES the lil grey store bought were a surprise in size and color. I thought the fem seeds sounded too good to be true. They certainly looked a lot different than bag seeds.
I know NOTHING about the hybrids available or what I've been smoking - 99% was never named and a million years ago I thought anything '' named '' was mostly made up . Just retired and no more urine screens to fear but DAM - no way I can afford the $20 gram stuff - also just want some clean unadulterated smoke . The lil bit of expensive smoke I've been lucky to have shared with me ............ Yes beautiful but suspect it's the abundant chemical feed and or pesticides that wreak havoc on my lungs and the unaccustomed side effects .Yes I know top shelf is potent stuff - still i wonder......IDK........sooooooooo enough rambling............ SHOULD I STICK TO REG SEEDS ? What is the difference in seeds ''for beginners '' vs just willy nilly pick the prettiest picture or glowing description ?

I wish the seed banks would list ''freshest'' catagory - wonder how long those lil grey promises sat in storage. I'll have a new perspective on anything listed as new from now on . Time to try again !

L

Lethidox

im growing 3 blue widows right now 1 is doing amazing and the other 2 i consider runts because of how they grew in the same conditions. they grew short and stacked where the other one grow tall at first and it handled anything and everything i threw at it from topping it extremely young with NO shock, to no transplant shock. the other 2 had transplant shock for a few days only.

now they are growing taller and getting very big almost caught up with the other plant. hard to compare now though because i've lst'd the big plant pretty low where as the 2 runts im waiting for them to grow out their new main stems a little longer before i want to attempt to LST them.

all 3 are growing vigorously now though only issue i have come with is nitrogen toxicity not bad though but other then that all 3 are doing well for only my 2nd grow. ironically as well i had the better CFL on the 1st plant so im not sure why that one grew more "leggy"

this is i believe an indica dominant hybrid so im guessing it's just different phenotypes. the 2 runts took on a indica grow type at first but grew out later where as the big one kind of just went full on sativa like grow.

if they are photo's i wouldn't worry veg it out longer then flower it.

xavier7995

xavier7995

Up to you on fems or reg, i stick to regs unless i have a very specific reason not to, but many prefer fems. Might be a good idea to pick up some coco or seedling soil mix, there is a chance your soil mix is too strong. Plants dont need much the first few weeks.

The newbie friendly seeds just mean they are easier to grow than say...a 12+ week sativa. They should grow easy and not be overly sensitive to light/environment/nutes/etc. Perform well under a variety of settings.

Edit: i do tend to let the runts run and see how they do. They tend to be my favorite plants, though none have ever wound up being unicorns.

zzzybil

zzzybil

Up to you on fems or reg, i stick to regs unless i have a very specific reason not to, but many prefer fems. Might be a good idea to pick up some coco or seedling soil mix, there is a chance your soil mix is too strong. Plants dont need much the first few weeks.

The newbie friendly seeds just mean they are easier to grow than say...a 12+ week sativa. They should grow easy and not be overly sensitive to light/environment/nutes/etc. Perform well under a variety of settings.

Edit: i do tend to let the runts run and see how they do. They tend to be my favorite plants, though none have ever wound up being unicorns.
Well thank goodness i didn’t give up on the runt ! TWO of last years hermie seeds turned out to be males and the 1 female actually turned into a banana fest which i didnt catch in time so that was an epic fail .At least now i know what bananas look like . This girl was sooo far behind the others while i haven’t finished trimmin or cleaning , i dont think she’s a seedy disaster. Haven’t proofed the pudding yet .
9CFDF10E DE7F 4F9D B5F8 6EC044078104

zzzybil

zzzybil

Shit ton on wasted time trainin this guy- I GET IT why fem seeds are a preference ! Especially if yuh only have a tiny space

zzzybil

zzzybil

After drinking a water bottle of super thrive accidently - decided totally organic is prolly safer for my dumb a$$.tea with Fish ,feathers ,oyster shells - stuff like that . Just kiddin on the unicorn poop and guessin besides when i used distilled water - easy to confuse ph fluctuation with calmag deficiency- well for a noob . BUMMED ITS TOO HOT NOW OR WILL BE VERY SOON. No way my budget allows ac for plants - i gotta ration and not waste on me ! Crazy weather here - had heater on in overnight & morn then ac by lunchtime. This oughta last me a while ! Scoping some remote outdoor spots close enuff to home ,sucks my neighbors so close !

zzzybil

zzzybil

BIG thanks to the guys who encouraged hanging in there with the runt ! That cola was hugemongous before hanging for 7 days ! The stems are still ''bendy'' no snap PERIOD even on the tiny. Bathroom stays humid - between 65-75% . Figure it could cure hanging in there????????? This is the driest weather we've had and my cheapo hydromether says 65% in there . Its been 65-75% in the rest of the house too soooooooo if i jar it ''burping'' would not do a dam thing as far as helping it dry ??? How long before i need to worry about mold ? I could put humidifier in the bathroom but so far figured slow is fine. The hermie seedy girl is crapolishous ...........Clean a bud and alllllllll yuh have is SEEDS. Can't let this beautiful runt mold !! It's the highlight of a painful learning curve . I READ hermie seeds are 99% female -haha I was heartbroken when 2 were boys and that 1 girl had bananas hiding at the bottom of every bud......Really thought I had pm when i finally saw the pollen .............Now that i'm over that - sure don't wanna dick around and let the 1 winner mold. GUESSTIMATE on when or if i should turn the dehumidifier on to get the runt under 60%............ thats the question ???????????/
what say yeez ?

Top Bottom