Looking for some opinions on our planter beds.....

• Thread starter Leafnation88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Leafnation88

Leafnation88

Hi everyone.

New to the site (love it), first time grower. I was hoping for a few opinions on the planter beds @Spitriddler and I created. We made a couple of pdf's of the set up. Each planter contains companion plants (listed on the pdf).

The super soil used is a basic SubCool recipe variation, the other soil used is labelled.

Basic Super Soil Ingredients
- GreenEarth Dolomitic Lime
- Gaia Green Alfalfa Meal
- Gaia Green Kelp Meal
- Gaia Green Oyster Shell Flour
- Azomite
- Gaia Green Blood Meal
- Gaia Green Bone Meal
- Epsom Salts
- Red Rock
- Perlite
- ProMix HP

Planter #1 isn't flourishing like Planter #2 . An 8" wide piece of wood that was covering the length of Planter #1 and supporting the babies has been removed (lol), and it's starting to catch up. Planter #1 has six worms, Planter #2 has 5 (valiant attempt by the 6th worm to escape ended in death half way across the grow room floor).

We are basically looking for general opinions on the planters or companions. I'm still working on updating my profile with grow room specs, etc. If you happen to see something terrible, would love to hear it, we are good students. I'm personally a bit concerned with the amount of companion plants, bit worried about their root systems taking over???? Is that ridiculous? The forest floor is pretty thick in foliage, lol. The majority of that coverage is red clover. Would love to hear from you guys and girls, Happy Growing!

Planterone

Plantertwo

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hi everyone.

New to the site (love it), first time grower. I was hoping for a few opinions on the planter beds @Spitriddler and I created. We made a couple of pdf's of the set up. Each planter contains companion plants (listed on the pdf).

The super soil used is a basic SubCool recipe variation, the other soil used is labelled.

Basic Super Soil Ingredients
- GreenEarth Dolomitic Lime
- Gaia Green Alfalfa Meal
- Gaia Green Kelp Meal
- Gaia Green Oyster Shell Flour
- Azomite
- Gaia Green Blood Meal
- Gaia Green Bone Meal
- Epsom Salts
- Red Rock
- Perlite
- ProMix HP

Planter #1 isn't flourishing like Planter #2 . An 8" wide piece of wood that was covering the length of Planter #1 and supporting the babies has been removed (lol), and it's starting to catch up. Planter #1 has six worms, Planter #2 has 5 (valiant attempt by the 6th worm to escape ended in death half way across the grow room floor).

We are basically looking for general opinions on the planters or companions. I'm still working on updating my profile with grow room specs, etc. If you happen to see something terrible, would love to hear it, we are good students. I'm personally a bit concerned with the amount of companion plants, bit worried about their root systems taking over???? Is that ridiculous? The forest floor is pretty thick in foliage, lol. The majority of that coverage is red clover. Would love to hear from you guys and girls, Happy Growing!

View attachment 868725
View attachment 868726
might rethink the basil unless you plan to prune,i love the smell of it on the wind,but if it got room to spread its legs it can take over half that box,red clover is it crimson clover? beauty of a plant indeed just planted some on the back of my place with several others a month ago,but the flowers get good size too if it not foraged by animals,never tried it inside should be interesting

Leafnation88

Leafnation88

might rethink the basil unless you plan to prune,i love the smell of it on the wind,but if it got room to spread its legs it can take over half that box,red clover is it crimson clover? beauty of a plant indeed just planted some on the back of my place with several others a month ago,but the flowers get good size too if it not foraged by animals,never tried it inside should be interesting

We were thinking of pruning and leaving it on the top of the bed for worm food. Any excess we were thinking could be made into some magical compost tea, or plant specific tea. I was told to watch out for the Marigold from a friend, thanks for the heads up on the Basil, we had noticed how quickly one of the Basil plants was growing in the first planter, we have about 4 or 5 in there, haha.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

We were thinking of pruning and leaving it on the top of the bed for worm food. Any excess we were thinking could be made into some magical compost tea, or plant specific tea. I was told to watch out for the Marigold from a friend, thanks for the heads up on the Basil, we had noticed how quickly one of the Basil plants was growing in the first planter, we have about 4 or 5 in there, haha.
there is a dwarf marigold i believe,mine are in a 5 gal bucket and stand bucket and all around 3 ft tall,basil is also good for repelling mosquito,citrenela is also great for pest,dont know if you knew or not but marigold is a trap plant,i moved mine from container garden because of how close critters were eating the crap out of it,borage is worse,damn holes all in them leaves from bugs but it keeps on ticking,if you have room put the basil in pots and at corners of your grow,lavender also

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

once pruned scratch it right into the bed,still green manuring how ever you look at it,dont know about your weather ,here it hot,nemtodes do a fine job and great addition to take care of the under ground work,once the soil gets around 75 they die off though

Top Bottom