looking for stories of how others have been busted

• Thread starter Exceptionaldragon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Exceptionaldragon

Exceptionaldragon

if one follows the golden rule of dont sell/smell/tell, how else do outlaw growers get caught? would you say it is below a 1% chance of being caught just growing a few plants in a backroom in a house that you own?

i ask because i recently saw data on the annual arrests in my smallish city, and of about 500 marijuana charges (not tickets, actual arrests) there were more busts for Manufacturing then i would think. maybe 30 out of 500 included manufacturing a sched vi (im not sure if this is the same as cultivation in my state or not).

my gut instinct says these were people trying to sell, or people who talked too much, but i was still surprised by those numbers. i guess manufacture could include butane or a rosin press, but i guess what im asking is: with a hidden LED setup in a 4x4 tent, how likely is a grower to run into problems so long as its purely for personal consumption? i know its not a science just looking for anecdotes :)

my current state isnt too bad, 3 months minimum for a under 10 lbs so i imagine it could be plead down to probation as long as there are no guns in house. still though, the amount of manufacturing busts i saw surprised me, some were even in richer areas

also, if one has two secure locations, is it better to use the one thats not the house? it seems more inconvenient but would prevent the house from being potentially raided, right? i think no knock raids are pretty rare in my area, and not used to such low level felonies, but i guess you never know with cops.

are cops interested in small scale home growing in small/med cities or is it more of a bad luck thing, like a fire or you get robbed and your house alarm goes off?

thanks!!!

Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

I would say your chances of getting caught are slim. But you are taking the risk regardless. Its hard to grow and not have a single person know about it.

It could be as simple as you smoking some, neighbors call cops and you're fucked.

That's why I personally stopped growing until it became legal. And now I stay within the 4 plant legal limit here in Canada.

But ultimately, it's up to you. Nobody can tell you it's going to be ok. It's a risk you and you alone need to assess vrs the rewards. Honestly I would move to a state that allows you to grow it rather than risk it. But that's me.

visajoe1

visajoe1

if one follows the golden rule of dont sell/smell/tell, how else do outlaw growers get caught?

are cops interested in small scale home growing in small/med cities or is it more of a bad luck thing, like a fire or you get robbed and your house alarm goes off?

follow the rule and dont steal power, and you'll be ok.

i cant speak for what all cops are interested in, but yes you should be careful to not give reason for suspicion if in non-friendly area. for sure folks get busted by bad luck examples you gave.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
I only have this to offer.
Back in early 2000's, maybe around 2004, US Marshalls did a raid on a wanted fugitive at an apartment on the other side of a field behind my home, maybe 100 yards away. He gave them the slip, cut thru the field and over a fence into peoples backyards. They got him cornered and he made one last attempt to flee thru my backyard. Marshalls hopped the fence and tackled him in my yard. The bad thing is I had about 6 plants in containers, not in flower yet, and about 3-4' tall. When they tackled him they rolled into my plants and knocked most of them over, two were crushed.
After they had the guy two marshalls actually set my plants back upright joking with each other. I was shocked and they just kinda laughed saying something like we're not looking for guys like you. This might be worth a few hundred later but the guy we just got was a cartel runner and smuggled in millions worth of coke. We like getting those guys much more.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Back in early 2000's, maybe around 2004, US Marshalls did a raid on a wanted fugitive at an apartment on the other side of a field behind my home, maybe 100 yards away. He gave them the slip, cut thru the field and over a fence into peoples backyards. They got him cornered and he made one last attempt to flee thru my backyard. Marshalls hopped the fence and tackled him in my yard. The bad thing is I had about 6 plants in containers, not in flower yet, and about 3-4' tall. When they tackled him they rolled into my plants and knocked most of them over, two were crushed.
After they had the guy two marshalls actually set my plants back upright joking with each other. I was shocked and they just kinda laughed saying something like we're not looking for guys like you. This might be worth a few hundred later but the guy we just got was a cartel runner and smuggled in millions worth of coke. We like getting those guys much more.

Thats quite a story! I would be quite afraid.

However, the risk doesnt always stop there. A cop could tell the story and a local cop could need the bust.

Glad nothing happened to you.

Exceptionaldragon

Exceptionaldragon

thanks guys. i could easily go to a state where its legal, but i love being around my family, the hard trades of life!

i will likely wait until im in a legal state but cant help but consider my options! it sounds like the best of both worlds is using a secure space with a hidden wall or something and then using leds/carbon filters. then if cops come or firemen they could still miss it.

i could do it without anybody knowing, and my location is remote, but the stuff that could be out of my control is more difficult. id be looking at a few months in jail and a felony charge (wouldnt be able to own weapons or vote). i could afford a great lawyer but it would suck to take a charge like that and know theres states where its legal.

on the flipside its basically the equivalent, in terms of risk, of possessing hard drugs. a guy in my area just got busted writing himself fake scrips with a bunch of oxis, he got like 10 months probation, majority of the charges dropped. im sure a lot of ppl here can guess why.

more than anything id be afraid of cops kicking down my door or something and shooting my dog. a few months in jail would suck but probably worth the risk. nothing would be worth losing my girl. i will likely wait till im in a legal state but would love to hear more stories, ive heard ppl on hearing saying theyve been growing for 6 years in apts no problems, and ive seen people saying they got their houses robbed. i know theres a big diff between a true grow op and a few plants in the garage, but am definitely interested in learning more from the veterans here. safety and love to all of you

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

Had a very similar experience. There was a murder on the island about 10 years ago and we had ERT's from off island and RCMP everywhere combing through peoples backyards and sheds and outbuildings looking for the guy while the island was on lockdown. Several friends of mine had cops come in their yard and search their dank packed greenhouse and leave. Nobody had an issue. Nobody got busted for anything except the murderer who was eventually caught hiding in a Bush.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
if your paranoid now, what about when the plants are flowering and budding and smelling up the place! geez.

oLd1

oLd1

Knew a Guy that would spot from a Chopper. Was flying over some plants loaded with Tomatoes. Wait Tomatoes don’t shine.

Knew a Guy get set up he was selling 10 pounds. He had been out Turkey Hunting. They tried tying his Shotgun in with the sell.

old1

Latest posts

Top Bottom