Looking to upgrade to hlg 260 or qbl 2

• Thread starter Oldmateslim
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oldmateslim

Oldmateslim

Hey there farmers, I'm looking for opinions and hopefully to start a discussion about the move from blurple to qb/cob

So I have been running 2 rooms with cheap blurples as a startup and ready to move onto greater things, the only issue im having is which one to go for first.

I'll start by giving specs on each current setup and yields etc.

80x80x160cm grow tent
2 x viparspectra ds450 (200w draw each)
12lt or 4 gallon pot
70/30 coco/perlite mix

Last run had 10 oz dry of purple afghan kush, had some issues and feel i could have done better

120x60x180cm wardrobe
1x viparspectra ds450 (200w)
2× mars reflector 48 (88w draw each
2×8lt or 2 gallon pots
70/30 coco/perlite
Last run pulled 5oz of purple afghan kush and 5oz green crack indica dom.

So id be looking to replace the wardrobe lighting with this qbl 2 270w light or replacing the tent lights with a hlg 260.

Ive been apprehensive because I am not sure if I will be able to pull the same yields, seems people are having alot of sucess with them but not heaps on yield out there yet for these lights that ive found and some say they get more in terms of gpw than I currently do and some seem to get less so id like input as to if you think id be able to at least match what I currently pull with the lights/space mentioned vs my current lighting?

Below ive attached specs for lights and pics of my current grows in these rooms running all green crack.

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance guys!

Looking to upgrade to hlg 260 or qbl 2
Looking to upgrade to hlg 260 or qbl 2 2
Looking to upgrade to hlg 260 or qbl 2 3
Looking to upgrade to hlg 260 or qbl 2 4
Looking to upgrade to hlg 260 or qbl 2 5
Looking to upgrade to hlg 260 or qbl 2 6
Oldmateslim

Oldmateslim

I would also like to add that these lights are chosen for size and price. Availability of decent qbs and cobs in australia is dismal and prices aren't great yet, both these lighting setups i currentlyrun were in the realm of $400 so im hoping to match yields with something quality and comparatively priced so Ican prove to myself that they are worth promoting as a "first step" in led lighting for other growers rather than ebay cheap leds.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Both are good options. I would say you while you might lose a little wattage the efficiency will be much better. Providing more ppfd and better yields with a bit lower wattage. The quality in terms of build is definitely an improvement. I think you will see better yields but by how much I can't really say.

Oldmateslim

Oldmateslim

Thanks for the reply aqua man, yeah that was the idea. Hoping I can get my feeds dialed in a bit better and theres a few other things I could make better also but in terms of lights I really want to see more efficiency and less heat so I figured I'd do what others have suggested on here a while ago and grab some decent qbs/cobs

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks for the reply aqua man, yeah that was the idea. Hoping I can get my feeds dialed in a bit better and theres a few other things I could make better also but in terms of lights I really want to see more efficiency and less heat so I figured I'd do what others have suggested on here a while ago and grab some decent qbs/cobs
I think it's a good decision.

Oldmateslim

Oldmateslim

Anyoneelse have experience with these lights or a similar upgrade

angry monkey

angry monkey

I use the the hlg 260 xw in a tent that's pretty close to the size you're planning to use. I now use to it to veg, but the one time I did use it to flower it got 1.1 gpw even with the 4000k spectrum growing various cookie crosses. No problem recommending it to anyone.

420baby

420baby

Mars light works fine. I was using their SP 250 for a while. It is bright enough for my babies.
only problem is the heat. i had to install a small fan to solve the problem.

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

I run 3 tents all with hlg quantum boards. I have 21 boards running at this time. I get 2+gpw repeatedly. The only people I have heard talk trash are those not running them. DIY and save a bunch. I like the qb132 because they are cheap to power and can run a bunch for better coverage and efficiency

Oldmateslim

Oldmateslim

I run 3 tents all with hlg quantum boards. I have 21 boards running at this time. I get 2+gpw repeatedly. The only people I have heard talk trash are those not running them. DIY and save a bunch. I like the qb132 because they are cheap to power and can run a bunch for better coverage and efficiency

Hey there mr jiujitsu, what a coincidence that you replied when you did! My qbl2 just came in yesterday, its 3 cobs and 2 qbs on a 900mm heatsink. Honestly never seen a led fixture if this quality, max wattage of 260 and im running it in my 120x60 wardrobe and just from looking at it seems MUCH brighter than the 376w of mars and vipars that I did have in there and its a few degrees cooler. Really keen to try the hlg fixtures too!

Here is a pic running at maybe 40% excuse the drooping on the plants, i thoughtthey were ready for daily water in their new pots but was wrong so they're upset with me lol

20190801 175719
Oldmateslim

Oldmateslim

Honestly I'll be happy to hit 1gpw as id be basically matching my current yield with 2/3 the power. Im running consistently at 0.6-0.7 gpw with vipars. 2gpw id be over the moon, that would mean 1lb per 2x4 which I never really thought possible

420baby

420baby

Honestly I'll be happy to hit 1gpw as id be basically matching my current yield with 2/3 the power. Im running consistently at 0.6-0.7 gpw with vipars. 2gpw id be over the moon, that would mean 1lb per 2x4 which I never really thought possible
0.6-0.7gpw is really a low yield for the purple vipars. change into the new quantum board led, it will boost the the yield a lot.

Oldmateslim

Oldmateslim

0.6-0.7gpw is really a low yield for the purple vipars. change into the new quantum board led, it will boost the the yield a lot.

In my experience ive not really seen them go much higher than that, some people say they have gotten more but im yet to see proof and most people that have them seem to hit about that mark at the most with the vipars but im certain I am not reaching potential due to pot size/space and the fact I've had plants produce closer to the 1gpw under them just never hit that as an average. Could also be that I do everything for terps and quality and dont aim for quantity or id still be doing northern lights in large pots under 600 hps haha.

What would you consider a good yield with the chinese leds? If its alot more than 0.7w im curious what additives and/or pgr are added and what strains? The manufacturer claims 1.3gpw but imo they're dreaming without heaps of additives and pgr and they tend to lie about almost every aspect of their performance.

I am really hoping that these lights increase yield and quality and im almost certain they will so im pretty keen.

Oldmateslim

Oldmateslim

Update on my flowers under the qbl 2, they are looking really really good and the 240w its drawing they look as good if not better than my old mars vipar combo @372w (they used to be classed as 270w then 250w then they changed it to 240w not sure exactly what they draw but it said 240w at the time of purchase)

Overall happy with it and blown away by its efficiency, keen to see a yield!

20190927 171440 01
Oldmateslim

Oldmateslim

These have just started week 8 and I usually go 9 on this strain so will start flush in about 3 days. Also the light hit 100% at week 3 and they are loving it 16-18" from canopy!

Latest posts

Top Bottom