Looks overwatered but soil dry?!?

• Thread starter Venus32
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Venus32

Venus32

Hello community. First post ever. Here goes...

Ok, I’m doing my nut in here. Any help much appreciated.

I’ve been teaching myself to grow by growing outdoors for a few years with relative success but I’ve recently invested in a small grow box and it’s been a steep learning curve!

I’ve got a Girl Scout cookies (photoperiod) plant at the mo, in third week of flowering. 5 days ago it gave her too much water in one go in a poor draining pot. Whoops! The next morning the plant looked droopy (pictures attached) and I knew I’d make a mistake. I’ve since not watered and soil appears to have dried up. I purchased a moisture meter and the soil came up as ‘dry’ and I tested a few different places and depths.

Now I know this is a risky move but I wanted to look at the roots so I lifted it out of the pot and I could see healthy roots, no visible rot, no foul smelling soil. (Picture attached). The soil felt a tiny, tiny bit damp and was compacted. Confused the hell out of me as she still looks overwatered!

Call me mad but I thought since I’d taken it out, I may as well put in a slightly larger pot so I re-homed in an air pot and surrounded it with fresh soil loosely. I guess it’s just a waiting game now. But I’m baffled. Never overwatered a plant before! All the advice I read online says to wait for the soil to dry before watering again but I’m apprehensive to do while it looks so droopy. It’s also got a few brown spots and yellowing lower leaves which I’ve read I should chop off but I don’t want to risk shocking my plant any more.

Anyone have any feedback, thoughts or advice? It would be much appreciated.

Looks overwatered but soil dry
Looks overwatered but soil dry 2
Looks overwatered but soil dry 3
Looks overwatered but soil dry 4
quirk

quirk

Seems like you corrected the problem by going with the air pot and the nice loose soil mix. Did you give her a nice shake to get rid of the compaction? Tip of the day: You can't overwater a well draining medium. But you can water too OFTEN.

IMG 20201109 114806520
Venus32

Venus32

Haha! Love that picture. Did you actually do that?

Thanks for the reply. I gave the air pot a good shake and didn’t pack the new soil in so fingers crossed. I think I need to add more perlite to future soil mixes....

I really hope my plant can recover 😅

quirk

quirk

Perlite is the best. I bet it recovers just fine with a nice light, fluffy, well draining medium. I wanted to get an idea of the root system so I shook the medium loose from this plant before placing in the larger outdoor airpot.

IMG 20201109 114449648
jmand

jmand

Hello community. First post ever. Here goes...

Ok, I’m doing my nut in here. Any help much appreciated.

I’ve been teaching myself to grow by growing outdoors for a few years with relative success but I’ve recently invested in a small grow box and it’s been a steep learning curve!

I’ve got a Girl Scout cookies (photoperiod) plant at the mo, in third week of flowering. 5 days ago it gave her too much water in one go in a poor draining pot. Whoops! The next morning the plant looked droopy (pictures attached) and I knew I’d make a mistake. I’ve since not watered and soil appears to have dried up. I purchased a moisture meter and the soil came up as ‘dry’ and I tested a few different places and depths.

Now I know this is a risky move but I wanted to look at the roots so I lifted it out of the pot and I could see healthy roots, no visible rot, no foul smelling soil. (Picture attached). The soil felt a tiny, tiny bit damp and was compacted. Confused the hell out of me as she still looks overwatered!

Call me mad but I thought since I’d taken it out, I may as well put in a slightly larger pot so I re-homed in an air pot and surrounded it with fresh soil loosely. I guess it’s just a waiting game now. But I’m baffled. Never overwatered a plant before! All the advice I read online says to wait for the soil to dry before watering again but I’m apprehensive to do while it looks so droopy. It’s also got a few brown spots and yellowing lower leaves which I’ve read I should chop off but I don’t want to risk shocking my plant any more.

Anyone have any feedback, thoughts or advice? It would be much appreciated.
yeah interesting.. but I agree I have never heard of a plant being effected by being over watered like that.. Only after days and days of rainit might start to get droppy or pale.. But if you think about it a plant can put up with months of rain in well drained soil, like in nature.. You have a well drained pot and air flow it should be ok.. As for the dropping that is odd as it seems healthy enough and the soil ad roots are good. Keep in mind doing all that with the roots and stuff might put the plant into shock for a few days... Maybe you are over feeding it? maybe next watering just do clean water for a few rounds.. as it started to look odd after yo watered/fed it..

Top Bottom