Lord of the NugZ's and the Vertical Rack of Destiny! err Density?

• Thread starter LordOfThNugz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LordOfThNugz

LordOfThNugz

Stoney THC Farmer welcome to all!

I am ECSTATIC to get to show off my ongoing vertical development on this kind forum! I am currently in the middle of a move so it will be a couple of weeks before I get any pictures up, but until then I will get this thread prepped and ready to go so I can just plug in the pics. Some of you may have seen some of my grows or test grows over at ICMag. Welcome all fellow IC refugees. My name here has obviously changed by one letter. I now have no "e".
Anyway....

Small history of my experience.. I have grown indoors for a LONG time collectively. I grew for about 8 years then I took off five years due to a living situation that had children present. I have been back at it for about 5 years. I grow only "boutique" quality greens. If it isn't the best around, I don't keep it as a parent. I have grown in everything from soil, to organic medium hydroponics, to Rockwool, to aeroponics, to coconut. Styles of Trees, SOGS, ScrOGs, Horizontal w reflectors, to vertical... You get the idea. I like to experiment, build, adapt, change, and train.

Well for years I grew horizontal and decided after a while that I grew best in Coco DTW. Then I started studying the theories behind vertical. NEW OBSESSION! I have 3 runs now under my belt with vertical setup. I love it. After seeing some things and learning some things I have designed a rack system that I am sure will need a lot of modifications, but is the pinnacle of what I have learned so far about how to maximize the potential of my current standard of expertise in growing this lovely herb.

The pieces are on the way and will be put together as soon as they arrive. I have been in the middle of a move and donated my parent plants where I came from to a friend. I am in a new state.. COLORADO BABY!!!!
Back to it... The vertical rack system will consist of 3 levels from top to bottom of 4 plants each and on 4 sides of the light. My original design was to be an octagonal prism but after testing out vert, I realized that four sides was proper because where the angles would be on the octagon the plants would try to crowd and grow into each other creating uneven and sparse light penetration. So, We start the rack with 4. All on casters and their own separate unit. This will also be a ScrOG. My first vertical attempt had no trellis as I wanted to see how things grew naturally in a vert setup. Well, they grow UP. So to maximize the amount of budsites getting direct and proper amounts of light, we ScrOG now.

So we will end up with 48 plants per flowering rack system and they will be with 2kw HPS shining in the midst. Coco DTW. With a nutrient profile that is a highly modified 6/9 formula.

Also I will be running two different sets of tester packs that I will link here later on. I will say they are testers to the side of the ones that are. Also I will be running the end of my Rez stock..... There will end up being 2 racks flowering after the first run. The first run and half the second will be a new mother hunt and I will be running most of all of the following beans:

Burmese Headband
SD IBL
SSSDH X G13
SSSDH IXI
Chem IBL
Karma SD IBL X Biker Kush <---Test Thread soon
Bubba Kush
Cannaventure Diesel Fire <----- Test Thread soon
Chemdog D IBL X (ECSD X Chemdog D garlic)
Larry Gum F2
White Caramel X TSK Afghani BX
Happy Valley F2
Krom x Triple Deez
Krom F2
C99 x Triple Deez
C99 X Rotten Banana
Chemdog D IBL X Master OG
Chemdog D IBL X TrainWreckIBL
Cookie Wreck
Powerhouse X C99 <---- KILLER C99 cross that YIELDS and makes you sweat!
Chemdog D IBL X OG Alien
MILF (TW X White Widow) <--- doing this one just to say I grew MILF. LOL

Thanks to all contributors to these genes. Karma, CV, DJXX, HOL, Guerrilla Fam, and a few others..

Peace! for now. Enjoy the show and feel free to ask questions.

NugZ

T

tngreen

definitely in for this, been working on a similar rack design myself. The octogon was also my initial thought but am running into design issues with it. I like the analysis on the four sided makes perfect sense

LordOfThNugz

LordOfThNugz

I tried all sorts of different setups just using cinderblocks and shelves to see what promoted the best light dispersion and have two runs with that system that outperformed anything I have ever done per watt. My rack system will basically serve as the shelves (more customized obviously), but they will also be on casters and each side its own individual unit with its own separate irrigation. That way it can be a modular setup so I can keep different strains that have different rates of growth and maturity time separate and easier to apply different necessary training. Some may finish before others but in this system they will all be in separate ScrOGs for each rack so you can replace the finished rack with another one full of clonie clone clones that are ready to go into flower. With the racks not only is care and training easier to access, but also even easier to ventilate and control atmosphere. With the shelves I had to have them each in their own separate chamber for the additional support of the walls.

LordOfThNugz

LordOfThNugz

Have you seen the Pi rack? It incorporates the octagon idea, but it only uses a SOG style so the 300+ clones don't overgrow each other. Ain't nobody got time for that shit! 300 clones! With the midsized bushes at 48 per rack and four sides it fixes the issue.

LordOfThNugz

LordOfThNugz

..pics.;.

Patience, It is gonna be a couple of weeks , having everything moved to CO and takes a while to move in and setup. I am just getting this thread ready to go with details first, then will show the building of the racks, and everything else as it progresses. I am still new to vertical with less than 5 cycles in vert setups, so this will also be an ongoing and dynamic/adaptive learning experience.

On top of neat pics, I would also like a LOT of detailed discussion and theory exchange. I have already achieved my highest gpw of QUALITY through vert and cannot wait to improve. My last run on my shelves was 4 strains, one for each side wall and my gpw was .94

I am inspired by Heath Robinson's old projects only I prefer 1000 watters because I am more inclined to ScrOG with lower clone numbers. I have found that the 1000 watters make it easier for maximum light penetration. With the ScrOG I also find it fun to train each bud top to it's own little trellis square. I top/fim multiple times and LST and over veg so that once a nice canopy has been established, I clean up the underskirts and make the next round of clones from the additional off shoots that didn't get a square to call home.

Of course it is a little different when it is a mother hunt. Method is the same but after the keepers are found out through smoke test, many clones get culled from the duds. So it takes a couple of rounds to get the factory churning along properly with the best of the genes.

Sorry if I speak too simply for some of you advanced growers that are reading, I just want to be crystal clear for my first thread here and make going vert easier to achieve for even novice growers. With laws changing I am sure there will be mass quantities of new growers. I for one am a pot snob and will smoke only boutique quality. Kinda like a craft beer or micro brew. I am sure that big pharm and govt control will eventually take the large parts of the industry and reduce the overall quality of their peddled wares, so this is my part to keep boutique quality alive and well. Smoke the BEST!

I am excited about the Diesel Fire right now--- I just smoked a little nuggy of some Headband and can't WAIT to sample CannaVenture's version. Hoping to find a ECSD clone leaner.

waayne

waayne

Good luck with your move LordOfThNugz!

Sounds like a very productive set up you're running.
I am also a fan of using 1000 watt bulbs vertically,I've tried using 600's and was disappointed with the results ,but the 10o0's superior output and penetration work well for my trees....

Nice selection of genetics
I'm looking forward to seeing pics of those girls:)

T

tngreen

I tried all sorts of different setups just using cinderblocks and shelves to see what promoted the best light dispersion and have two runs with that system that outperformed anything I have ever done per watt. My rack system will basically serve as the shelves (more customized obviously), but they will also be on casters and each side its own individual unit with its own separate irrigation. That way it can be a modular setup so I can keep different strains that have different rates of growth and maturity time separate and easier to apply different necessary training. Some may finish before others but in this system they will all be in separate ScrOGs for each rack so you can replace the finished rack with another one full of clonie clone clones that are ready to go into flower. With the racks not only is care and training easier to access, but also even easier to ventilate and control atmosphere. With the shelves I had to have them each in their own separate chamber for the additional support of the walls.

Seems as though we are directly in line with each others plans. Good luck getting set up and we will be sharing more design ideas soon.

I haven't seen the Pi rack but probably something similar. The high plant numbers is where my interest in that design stopped. I don't see the plant count issue with LEO going away anytime soon even after legalization so must work around it. Trees are more fun anyway.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Welcome to the farm LOTN!

I am also a vert grower. Will be here watching and ready to exchange ideas. Looking forward to your new show. Hope your move... is smooth.

_Cap

LordOfThNugz

LordOfThNugz

I am bored so I am gonna put up just a couple of random shots of my last harv.
IMG 18521
IMG 18651
IMG 18731

C99, SGK x BK BX2, and Happy Valley (SVF X OGK) These were my early finishers.

SGK x BK BX2 tastes like orange juice. An EXCELLENT cross by LemonSkunk420.

Latest posts

Top Bottom