Lumens or Watts?

• Thread starter Vexor1717
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Vexor1717

Vexor1717

Which is better to go by when choosing lighting because I've seen info that conflicts. It seems if you go by Lumens, Wattage doesn't matter and vice versa. Thanks in advance. If im missing something let me know please.

HumbleTie1321

HumbleTie1321

How would you base your lumens? What do you actually what them to be when the light has reached the plant?

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

You want high avg ppfd. Like over 700 par avg over 3x3 at 16 inches. Usually comes with lights over 300W power draw from the wall.

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

There are cheap power meters on Amazon, but most decent light companies will advertise "Actual Power Draw" and have a dimmer built-in. Don't get thrown by terms like 1000w equivalent or HID replacement.

HumbleTie1321

HumbleTie1321

There are cheap power meters on Amazon, but most decent light companies will advertise "Actual Power Draw" and have a dimmer built-in. Don't get thrown by terms like 1000w equivalent or HID replacement.
Is it a voltage meter?

HumbleTie1321

HumbleTie1321

It gets frickin hot that's for sure! I tested lumens on it and at abt 4ft it was throwing 279,000. Had to have all the vents open, the inline fan, 2 oscillating fans as well as keeping the door zipper open about 18". Even then the tent was about 78 degrees. I swear you could see the thing from the space station!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

How do you test power draw from the wall?
You can use a device called a kill-o-watt meter. If you're in the USA, try Harbor Freight. I think I paid around $20.00 a couple years ago for mine. It will tell you your watts and your amps. It's handy to have.

HumbleTie1321

HumbleTie1321

Someone posted a link from Amazon.. Already in my basket! Thanks for explaining as I'm all new to this. I'm in Virginia and it just became legal to grow 4 plants for personal. Never thought I'd see the day! So this is my first go around. I've had a couple little kinks but with the help of the super nice people on this site, I think I'll get an actual crop. I've got the photo seeds so I have a ways to go. The seedlings went in dirt July 7th.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Someone posted a link from Amazon.. Already in my basket! Thanks for explaining as I'm all new to this. I'm in Virginia and it just became legal to grow 4 plants for personal. Never thought I'd see the day! So this is my first go around. I've had a couple little kinks but with the help of the super nice people on this site, I think I'll get an actual crop. I've got the photo seeds so I have a ways to go. The seedlings went in dirt July 7th.
Yes, I just saw that. Same thing, just a different brand. It's also a bit cheaper than the one I bought.

P.S. Pick the right strains and 4 plants can produce a lot! Michigan allows 12 plants per household under recreational rules. I usually run between 4 - 6 plants per cycle. It gives me way more than I can consume on my own. I share my extra with family.

Last edited:
HumbleTie1321

HumbleTie1321

Yes, I just saw that. Same thing, just a different brand. It's also a bit cheaper than the one I bought.

P.S. Pick the right strains and 4 plants can produce a lot! Michigan allows 12 plants per household under recreational rules. I usually run between 4 - 6 plants per cycle. It gives me way more than I can consume on my own. I share my extra with family.
Guess they'll give m the answers I need. That's all that matters.
I have 2 Indica and one hybrid going and figure I'll clone off of them if they're strong. Virgina is a super conservative state. I was shocked they even passed it! Now just need the federal to lìne up with state and we'll have something..

Latest posts

Top Bottom