Madmax's first grow in coco coir

• Thread starter Madmax
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madmax

Madmax

So what peat are you talking about @Aqua Man .i see some fresh guys using it on here and a few struggling with it.the early stage seems the hardest to get through...wont peat hold more water than coir..

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Staff
Supporter
Something like promix hp, sunshine #4 etc. Yes it will hold more water but if you can't water coco enough it's an issue. You will definitely get faster growth from coco perlite if you do it right but that also comes along with more issues. The faster a plant grows the harder it is to dial in and faster shit goes south.

A slower growth rate is much friendlier to new growers. You see how @sshz pulls it off in a peat based mix? (I think it is anyways) that's peat done at its finest and he pushes em hard. Most coco growers probably don't see his growth rates.

Faster is not always better... it creates more issues and you need to be on point catching anything early. Hell even in peat based shit happens quick when you drive em hard.

I like coco cause I'm a control freak even of my lst 2 grows don't show that and we're basically cluster fuck garbage. The reason staying there is for me and my setup it check all the boxes and I have the control to do so.

But for a new grower prob the best advice I could give is take everything slow... bit lower light intensity, light on the nutes and learn the media and plants.

I mean your not the average bear and have 0 doubt you would rock coco... just do your research and when all else fails reduce the light intensity until ya get sorted.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Staff
Supporter
Shit, it's still early.......I don't even start thinking about going to bed til 3AM and won't fall asleep til 4AM. But I'm old and don't need as much sleep as you youngsters.
Cheers to that 👊

Madmax

Madmax

Something like promix hp, sunshine #4 etc. Yes it will hold more water but if you can't water coco enough it's an issue. You will definitely get faster growth from coco perlite if you do it right but that also comes along with more issues. The faster a plant grows the harder it is to dial in and faster shit goes south.

A slower growth rate is much friendlier to new growers. You see how @sshz pulls it off in a peat based mix? (I think it is anyways) that's peat done at its finest and he pushes em hard. Most coco growers probably don't see his growth rates.

Faster is not always better... it creates more issues and you need to be on point catching anything early. Hell even in peat based shit happens quick when you drive em hard.

I like coco cause I'm a control freak even of my lst 2 grows don't show that and we're basically cluster fuck garbage. The reason staying there is for me and my setup it check all the boxes and I have the control to do so.

But for a new grower prob the best advice I could give is take everything slow... bit lower light intensity, light on the nutes and learn the media and plants.

I mean your not the average bear and have 0 doubt you would rock coco... just do your research and when all else fails reduce the light intensity until ya get sorted.
Damn had to rush out as mrs clusterfuck fell over..no damage.just mixed some nutes for her.pots gone lite.she uses 5 litres a day..
I envy sshz's grows...ah .i was thinking something completely different..i remember asking sshz in messenger awhile back on the media he is using.theres one place in aust i think i can get it and will try and get some and have a go..will be different kettle of fish from the coir and would have to start fresh and relearn.i will try it down the track but im having fun with the coir atm..

sshz

sshz

Pro mix is east coast USA and sunshine mix is west coast......... all I put in now is perlite and pro mix, either the bx or hp types. Both have myco’s In it. I basically started as a hydroponic grower who bought a large California hydro system made out of 6 inch tubes with a hole on top every 8 inches or so. Then a solo cup would be placed in there with Rockwool, and the system basically flooded and drained by itself. System held around 300 plants or so. But the solenoids kept burning out and it became a bitch to monitor since I was an hour away. It was all confiscated in a bust in 1990.

Coco and hydro are very similar, and very unforgiving. One screw up and the crop could be lost or never recover fully. Pro mix on the other hand acts as a buffer, and gives you time to fix mistakes.

And yes, pro mix is considered a soiless soil, and is peat based...............

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Staff
Supporter
Pro mix is east coast USA and sunshine mix is west coast......... all I put in now is perlite and pro mix, either the bx or hp types. Both have myco’s In it. I basically started as a hydroponic grower who bought a large California hydro system made out of 6 inch tubes with a hole on top every 8 inches or so. Then a solo cup would be placed in there with Rockwool, and the system basically flooded and drained by itself. System held around 300 plants or so. But the solenoids kept burning out and it became a bitch to monitor since I was an hour away. It was all confiscated in a bust in 1990.

Coco and hydro are very similar, and very unforgiving. One screw up and the crop could be lost or never recover fully. Pro mix on the other hand acts as a buffer, and gives you time to fix mistakes.

And yes, pro mix is considered a soiless soil, and is peat based...............
Couldn't be more accurate... its a risk reward and honesty trying to look after 4 freaking plants in hydro with those growth rates was killer (if you seen how hard the plants were to get to you'dunderstand)... not on the system or health in my case but the sheer upkeep of the plants. Nvm they drank over 5 gal a day in mid flower. Forget running different strains... much like coco because no way would I do coco without autofeed. And then add to that the pita trying to move plants in coco although much easier than hydro lol.

But for me it works.

I never knew you were a hydro grower @sshz ... the shit ya learn staying up late.

sshz

sshz

I basically learned with hydroponics, which I believe made me a better soil grower.............my biggest issue back then was water temps and keeping it cool enough. This was before chillers and I used to add ice or frozen containers to chill it down some. But it was a big issue never completely solved at that time.

SSgrower

SSgrower

I am contemplating growing 2 with added pro mix and 2 just Coco/perlite to see if the "buffering" you speak of might help my success. My Pro-mix is not HP or the other, just Pro-mix with 80% peat to 20 coco coir & perlite. Just thinking about it, but it might help my success and teach me more about Coco& perlite for my next grow. Thanks for the views.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Ozstoner pmsl ... nice grow Cobba how’s the Valley going getting a bit cooler up there . We copped a stinker on the beaches down my way . Od .

Madmax

Madmax

That sites not much...pretty dead that one.think i signed up 3 -4 year ago and ive probably done a dozen posts...
Beaut day here od 28-29c .the hops harvest is in full swing..we got the biggest hopkiln in the southern hemisphere just so you pissheads know haha..usually the hop harvest coinsides with our harvest of our outdoor crops..

Rooke

Rooke

That sites not much...pretty dead that one.think i signed up 3 -4 year ago and ive probably done a dozen posts...
Beaut day here od 28-29c .the hops harvest is in full swing..we got the biggest hopkiln in the southern hemisphere just so you pissheads know haha..usually the hop harvest coinsides with our harvest of our outdoor crops..
Heya Cobba and OD double Cobba! Have either you fellas ever tried using a coco/ perlite mix on you outdoor gals or is it just to hot there to keep up with fertigations? I’m all about outdoors these days growing in soil/ perlite in big pots but I wonder if it is plausible. I’m home all summer and eat, shit and sleep outdoor growing. I go crazy in the winter not being able to grow indoors. :(

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
This is not talked about enough. Plant is ugly? If you turn your light down while you fix the prob, she will sort herself out more easily....

Madmax

Madmax

Heya Cobba and OD double Cobba! Have either you fellas ever tried using a coco/ perlite mix on you outdoor gals or is it just to hot there to keep up with fertigations? I’m all about outdoors these days growing in soil/ perlite in big pots but I wonder if it is plausible. I’m home all summer and eat, shit and sleep outdoor growing. I go crazy in the winter not being able to grow indoors. :(
Hi rooke..ive never used soil dirt and perlite.but have used straight soil in pot long long time ago..coco perlite in pots outdoors shit on soil and can water it few times a day if you like.ive got one that i kicked out of my room in 5 gal and is loving it.i doubt i could grow one as good in soil perlite.ive never used pots outdoors since i started growing..i grow straight in the ground old skool way ha..od would i reckon... @oldskol4evr

Madmax

Madmax

Gave the android lense a polish.didnt end up going to bros to get his professional camera..man...would take some awesome snaps still on the vine...just pulled off a bud to look at the trics heaps of cloudy few amber .could go maybe another week but i will grab it in 4 days or so.this plant needs uvb to bring out bigger bulb heads or something
20210313 230601
20210313 230335
20210313 230226

Last edited:
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hi rooke..ive never used soil dirt and perlite.but have used straight soil in pot long long time ago..coco perlite in pots outdoors shit on soil and can water it few times a day if you like.ive got one that i kicked out of my room in 5 gal and is loving it.i doubt i could grow one as good in soil perlite.ive never used pots outdoors since i started growing..i grow straight in the ground old skool way ha..od would i reckon... @oldskol4evr
best way to get your full meal deal bro ,there is a lot to benifit with your gear in the ground,the soil food web works wonders on quality,them birds,squirrel,cats ,dogs, mice worms ,bettles ,even spiders,they all are a part of the network for quality,sure you might have a few that just get attacked,but keep this in mind ,if the plant is attacked by bad things,it has already sent out the signs for the predetors well in advance,like days even week.so in our control units,be tent or closet or room,the plant takes a nose dive from say a over feed that really hurt the root zone,you may add something to heal the wound right then ,YOU THINK,but the damage is already done,you really cant expect a flowering plant to over come burned roots ,be soil,hydro or soilles, so that said best attack is straight in what you walk on,you might think your not producing much you watch all the folks around you growing huge plants in a controled envorment ,but heed not when that sun and moon kick into full gear,that little ole bush you worry of will have you scrambling to hide from chopper and neighbors,they just explode and the yield isnt a few bags,it astore room man,soil is so forgiving,you can dump gasoline on a spot to kill ants,in 3 months you could plant a seed,no joke,i been spraying diesal around my fence line for years to control weeds ,it just comes back,our loving flowers are weeds bro.
straight up healthy soil is the ticket,and that sun is new just like the next big thing as far as what light is best for inside growing,there isnt one ,it the sun hahahah