Making an exact Undercurrent 13 gallon replica for 1/4 the cost. Heck yes!

• Thread starter BavarianFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BavarianFarmer

Hi!
So I really want an undercurrent setup, but there is no way I could spend a couple grand for just some buckets and pipe. Tonight I found where to buy the 13 gallon poly urethane under current buckets. they're only $15 bucks too! but just white and not blue. The site also has the lids... You can compare pictures with jacks 13 gallon thread. Pvc piping is also cheap and you can even buy the uni seals and other random bits directly from the undercurrent website. http://cch2o.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=52_56
and instead of air stones that clog up use micro pore diffusers http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Water-Innovations-SINGLE-DIFFUSER/dp/B0032K0GPO

As for the air pumps and water pump I would want to upgrade to something better since I might as well. Any recommendations?

Anyways let me know what you guys think!
I'm surprised no one else has made copy's yet. It seems so simple. I've only seen a couple threads where people did essentially the same thing but with smaller buckets. But with the link above you can get the same 13 gallon buckets and make an exact undercurrent replica for a ton less so I figure I might as well try!
I've been super busy and don't have much room, but I want to start my setup as soon as possible and when I do I'll post up all my pictures.

Bavarian Farmer

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Soon U will C

1/4 of the cost.....BF, didn't realize you were so clueless.

Pretty naive to start a thread making promises you won't be able to keep.....you don't think anyone's making UC DIY's?.....you should check the Texas Kid thread....the DIY debate raged there for sometime before TK gave his verdict .

Looking forward to your 1/4 price master piece.

B

BavarianFarmer

Woah! Sorry! I was just searching around on the internet. I'm not trying to profit from this or something, I just want an Undercurrent and I was just thinking out loud in this thread seeing what other people thought and if it is possible to make my own. When I saw these buckets I thought "BINGO!! Maybe I can make my own!" I am a 100% noob. I'm not trying to claim otherwise. I was just posting this out of thought and my excitement in maybe getting to a larger scale of grow sooner since I can't afford more. No need for the harshness. Again I apologize for causing grief in what ever way i did.
I'm just trying to research and learn as much as I can.

Bavarian Farmer

B

BavarianFarmer

And you have to undersand my excitement in posting this. Haha. I got home from work and then vaped some goodies. Nice and refreshed from a day at work I was then searching around the internet and saw those buckets. And of course that's when my fantasies started of making my own. For me this is all about fun and trying to make things work. :)
BF

E

ehole

this was my knock off i made. i wasn't too keen on exact replica, but it was easy and the process is the same. water and air pumps will be your biggest costs and it will be way cheaper. good luck with and it's always fun trying to get a new system built and running

B

BavarianFarmer

Sweet man! That looks awesome! Do you like the threaded pipes and seals a lot better? Is the 700gph pump working good too? I don't know what the under current uses for the 13 gal systems. I found from $100 to $200 I could get a reliable 700 to 1500 gph pump. I also found a 1/3 hp chiller for $500 shipped. It is super fun brainstorming something like this if it could all work. Thanks!
Bavarian Farmer

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

1/4 of the cost.....BF, didn't realize you were so clueless.

Pretty naive to start a thread making promises you won't be able to keep.....

Looking forward to your 1/4 price master piece.

BTW.....you seem more like a ICMAG guy.....lots more newbies on that site. :toivo

Well, I too would question the 1/4 cost claim, that's for sure. Although, you can't blame somebody for being inspired by all the great success that people have had with this kind of system.

I just think that we need to keep a kinder standard here at the farm. No need for harsh remarks to help an over enthusiastic noob in check.

I too would love to see the $$ that it takes to diy the uc13. I can't help but to build things myself. I am a builder. That is half the fun for me. I would also say that for most out there, it would be a headache saver at the very least to just buy the uc system turn key.

With that said, enough with the claims there Bavarian, and get to building. You will be the one to show us what you can do, and you can tell us how much at the end. Best of luck, and happy building.

By the way, welcome to the farm!:rauch08:

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

My post was lame.......sorry for the bad vibes BF.

Hadn't had my meds and was out of line.....best wishes on your build BF.

B

BavarianFarmer

Well, I too would question the 1/4 cost claim, that's for sure. Although, you can't blame somebody for being inspired by all the great success that people have had with this kind of system.

I just think that we need to keep a kinder standard here at the farm. No need for harsh remarks to help an over enthusiastic noob in check.

I too would love to see the $$ that it takes to diy the uc13. I can't help but to build things myself. I am a builder. That is half the fun for me. I would also say that for most out there, it would be a headache saver at the very least to just buy the uc system turn key.

With that said, enough with the claims there Bavarian, and get to building. You will be the one to show us what you can do, and you can tell us how much at the end. Best of luck, and happy building.

By the way, welcome to the farm!:rauch08:

Thanks a lot! I'm totally going to do it. I will keep every receipt also so we can have a final tab at the end. Now I'm just trying to figure out if I should move to a bigger place when my lease is out next month, or if i should stay here and use a XXL 8x5x7 tent. I'm just currently maxed out right now in my closet... But either way, I'm going to go through with it. Probably a 6 or 8 x 13gal system. To the Forest or Bust!!!

My post was lame.......sorry for the bad vibes BF.

Hadn't had my meds and was out of line.....best wishes on your build BF.

No problem man, I totally understand and thanks!
Bavarian Farmer

M

mrdizzle

you'll save a couple hundred bucket no doubt, DIY are fun if you have a lot of fun. It will take you a couple hours to set it up, you know what they say time is money, if you pay yourself 20 bucks an hour you might be even steven

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

My next system is gonna be an Undercurrent. I am very handy so I am very interested in this thread. Keep us posted.

B

BavarianFarmer

you'll save a couple hundred bucket no doubt, DIY are fun if you have a lot of fun. It will take you a couple hours to set it up, you know what they say time is money, if you pay yourself 20 bucks an hour you might be even steven

On my days off work I've got nothing but time!!:rasta:

My next system is gonna be an Undercurrent. I am very handy so I am very interested in this thread. Keep us posted.

Within a couple weeks I will be starting the build hopefully... I just need to figure out my living location in life first. (undecided between bigger place or making do with my nice place already.) My goal now after pricing out everything tonight is a 6 x 13 system with a 55 gal res. and 1/3HP chiller for around $1000. And stepping up my lighting to 3 x 1000w HID's for around another $1000. I'll use my current 400w for the little seedlings. I've had good luck starting out seedlings with HID at a couple feet away as opposed to floro's. I'm pretty pumped to do this!!
:banana:

skyhigh has a good diy as well..

This post was gold! Thankyou!!

Reading his thread was so motivating!! He did essentially the same thing I'm trying to do. Lots of great info in his thread. Thanks again.

Bavarian Farmer

A

AM to PM

There are a couple threads on DIY UCs on here Bavarian. My advice is to read all of those threads and also check out a couple of the threads with real UCs. The basic idea of the system is simple to understand but it is more of the finer nuances that are harder to nail down exactly.

I've built 2 systems with the 2nd having improvements over the 1st. Still haven't gotten everything the way I want it yet, but as DIY this is a project that evolves over time for each particular person.

Truthfully, I went in with the same mentality as you.. to save money. What money you save tho, you make up for in time haha. Good luck and order at least 2 more buckets than you plan to run :)

D

Dondirtbiker

My first post had too..diy rdwc on the cheap

First post people ..just had to , hello all.
Here's what i'm doing
2 rdwc 8 site 13 gallon outfits so 18 buckets with lids
$371 from bay container.
Pondmaster 1200 gph pump $280
Av100 air pump $310
60 unseals $127 eBay he gave me a great deal
PVC $120
9" diffusers quantity 18 $321
Misc PVC,hose , net pots $100
So 1500 or so and I have 2 systems that are better and beefier that stock
Believe it or not......
Can't wait to fire these babys up
I say build your own and perfect it to your liking and save some cash..
Stock sucks !

J

Jalisco Kid

I would look at some bigger tanks. Too small(13 gal) to grow trees as easy as in a bigger tank. JK

B

BavarianFarmer

There are a couple threads on DIY UCs on here Bavarian. My advice is to read all of those threads and also check out a couple of the threads with real UCs. The basic idea of the system is simple to understand but it is more of the finer nuances that are harder to nail down exactly.

I've built 2 systems with the 2nd having improvements over the 1st. Still haven't gotten everything the way I want it yet, but as DIY this is a project that evolves over time for each particular person.

Truthfully, I went in with the same mentality as you.. to save money. What money you save tho, you make up for in time haha. Good luck and order at least 2 more buckets than you plan to run :)

I posted this thread before I searched more I guess. I've read like 3 different threads now all packed with good info of DIY UC's just like I am gonna do. But now I'm more informed and I'm sure, just like when I originally setup my closet grow, I will spend 2 x more than expected... But it will be fun doing it all myself!
Thanks dude.

I would look at some bigger tanks. Too small(13 gal) to grow trees as easy as in a bigger tank. JK
I was already under the impression that 13 gallon was huge! haha. I could go bigger and use some rubber-made containers but they just seem kind of flimsy unless I found some big sturdy containers.

Bavarian Farmer

J

Jalisco Kid

You could use an ice chest. They have cheap ones that they use for mbs here. I have a 13 gal tank I maKe but it is for chile plants. JK

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Are you lighting vert or horizontal?

If using overhead horizontal don't bother any larger than 13's as the limited light penetration doesn't justify larger than a 3-4 ft tall plant at peak flowering.

sky high

sky high

You'll save a bit over buying from CC....and you'll know your system well if you build it.

After building this i came to the conclusion that CC's prices aren't all that bad. Depends on what you do and how you do it. I had the time and am not a commercial grower. TK saw the beauty and ease (and quicker profit potential) in just buying one off the shelf and rockin that bitch ASAP.

A fun system, for sure. Just make sure you have enough SPACE cus these fuckers grow huge ass plants. LOL. Ate my ass here, for sure!

Folks like JK and UC are a wealth of info. Glean what applies to you and apply it fully.

good luck with the build

s h

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom