Making Labs?

• Thread starter Baked Bomber
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Baked Bomber

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Would be interesting to see a side by side, bottled microbe/lab grow.

Crum Bell

Crum Bell

I just recently started learning the process of making "Probiotics" here on the farm. I am teaching myself and have always had good results when relying on the inevitable life lessons of "Trial & Error; Live and learn...
I live in a forested area where many months out of the year it is wetland. I am surprised we do not have wild monkeys swinging through the canopy of our little rain forest here in Southern Oregon. It is the perfect environment and climate for collecting from nature.
In the photos I posted, you will see that I am doing just that; Capturing nature in a jar and on a bed of rice to make my own (LAB) (L)actic (A)cid (B)acteria tea (foliar spray) and trapping (IMO) (I)ndigenous (M)icro (O)rganisms.
In this wash I will be collecting the rice water for the starches and use it as a food source to feed the bacteria. (This process is done in an "Aerobic" state) which means presence of oxygen.
Now on to the extracting of the serum which will be the middle of the separated 3 layers after sitting for 5-7 days. This next process will be done in an "Anaerobic" state which means absent of oxygen. I will be using a 30L fermenter w/airlock. Now it will be time for me to feed the (LAB) or (LAS) as it is called at this point. Using the serum that I collected I will then mix it with a 10:1 ratio of fresh milk and let it sit and curd for 5-7 more days. the top of the 2 layers will be curd and the bottom layer is whey. The whey is what I will then want to extract. (The curds are good too, keep them as a dressing or for compost). These microbial (LAB's) can also be stored...
Last but not least is storage. I will store it in the fridge where it will keep for about a week. Mix in some "Raw Sugar" to keep feeding the bacteria or "Molasses" to stabilize the culture where it will keep for 6 months or more. To stabilize, mix the culture 1:1 ratio with "Molasses", so 1 litre culture to 1 Litre of "Molasses" gives you 2 Litres… It is suggested that airlocking this also until the mix stabilizes.
Note: This is used for giving your plants vigorous growth, warding off bad smells that might attract the wrong insects/pests and help ward off disease. The microbes will help cycle the nutrients in the soil making them more available to the plant!

IMAG2899
IMAG2902
IMAG2905
IMAG2911
IMAG2917
IMAG2918
IMAG2926
Last edited:
Crum Bell

Crum Bell

So my friend has turned me onto this whole probiotic farming thing and so I'm going to give it a shot but everyone is talking about making labs with a rice wash then milk these guys are devoted to buying nothing in a bottle just seems like a pain.

Any way here is a like would love to hear from anyone with experience with them!

https://www.thenutrientcompany.com/horticulture-blog/culture-lactobacillus-lab-horticultural-use/
Its not a pain, actually very interesting and fun :) If your not lazy that is lol

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You *need* to read @leadsled 's posts on the subject, he's well-versed. I'm good at growing LABs for lacto-fermentation of a couple of types, and for making naturally leavened bread, but I've never been successful with the rice-water & milk method.

2% salt is my go-to ratio for pretty much everything outside of sourdough, kombucha or yogurt cultures.

@Crum Bell , IIRC it's EM-1 for Endogenous Microorganisms. But I just read someone in Acres, USA calling them Effective Microorganisms, which I believe is incorrect.

H

Hyman

This method will be used on my next grow, wanna see how it helps in combination with my teas

Crum Bell

Crum Bell

You *need* to read @leadsled 's posts on the subject, he's well-versed. I'm good at growing LABs for lacto-fermentation of a couple of types, and for making naturally leavened bread, but I've never been successful with the rice-water & milk method.

2% salt is my go-to ratio for pretty much everything outside of sourdough, kombucha or yogurt cultures.

@Crum Bell , IIRC it's EM-1 for Endogenous Microorganisms. But I just read someone in Acres, USA calling them Effective Microorganisms, which I believe is incorrect.
I will check him out. But EM does stand for Effective Microorganisms and IMO stands for Indigenous Micoorganisms. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_microorganism
And also called (BIM) Beneficiary Microorganisms. Now I am also doing (IMO 2) with the rice bed.

Dope.Usernamed

Dope.Usernamed

Hi all, so I need to know what type of milk I can buy to make a high quality LAB? I have access to only what is at the grocery store(Safeway). Kefir, maybe some organic milks and dairyland brand milk. Please help me decide what will have the best result. A friend tried to make LAB but he didn’t choose a good milk pretty sure he used “dairyland” brand. He thought it wasn’t worth the effort but I guarantee it wasn’t well made due to antibiotics or something. Thanks in advance. My rice wash is about 5 days in so I only have another 2 days left to decide.

Dope.Usernamed

Dope.Usernamed

Thanks, I’ll grab the organic whole milk if it’s available. I wonder if anyone uses kefir?

Top Bottom