Making My Own Grow Bags/beds, Depth?

• Thread starter DopeSnob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DopeSnob

So instead of searching all over hells half acre and finding the correct size bag in the right color, i bought some felt made from recycled water bottles and i am going to make my own! Heres my question: is there any benefit to having a deeper pot? I used to grow in 5 gal buckets but im more inclined to make bed/bags that are 12" deep" ive always herd that most root mass is in the top 6 inches with then only lone tap roots past 20". I understand that roots will grow down but im just wondering if i need to make em that deep if they can spread out... ?

Organikz

Organikz

Yes the roots will spread. Some growers don't like more than a foot deep. You might want to spread the plants an extra foot for leg room.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

I like big containers or beds for a wider 'drip line'. Some genetics perform quite differently when they can spread roots further laterally. Fyi if by right color you mean light/reflective, Rootmaker has nice ones.

Organikz

Organikz

In large containers roots will spread as far as possible. It's equivalent to some organisms adapting to their environment. Most salt water fish will not grow half their size in captivity because they are limited by their environment. I also like the fact that you're growing x amount of plants but as far as inputs go it's equivalent to caring for 1 huge plant. The best benefit is stability of the system. No crazy pH spikes or other extreme fluctuations.

Organikz

Organikz

Yo I'm on the fences about building my own raised beds. 2x4 and weed barrier.

But I take my time into account also. If it takes 4 hours to save 40 bucks it's not worth it to me.

I may just cop a 72x36x14 geopot. Need to save some funds. I'm out of materials to craft no till soil. I'm going to want a 315w cmh as well. I don't have the light to cover this area. Along with my 150 smartie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom