Making seaweed fertilizer

• Thread starter wilport
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
wilport

wilport

I live near the coast and have access to unlimited supplies of seaweed. I have been attempting to make seaweed extract by boiling seaweed for several hours. Has anyone tried this and is it a good idea or a useless exercise?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
My only advice is to try it but in small amounts set up a 2 plant trial give one you seed weed tonic and mill to the other see what happens . Good luck keep us posted . Regards Od .

Ina

Ina

Yes,few times.but i dont boil it.First you have to let them sit in warm water to wash the salt very well.that water should be thrown away for that reason.than i know these few ways of making some fert from them.
First one:you dry them very well and make them in powder form,than dilute in water(but proportions i cant say,never seen them make any harm and i add a lot when i have some),leave a day,shake and water.I always try more diluted at first.
Second:cut them on small pieces and leave them sit in water at least few days(as longer as better but if you want to leave them longer better buble that) and use that diluted with more water.
Once i used seaweed for mulch and it was keeping very good moisture under it.
It could be useful.
o and third:with hot water,like you mentioned,but that one ive never tried.Not boiling,just pour very hot water on them and leave them for a while but im not sure for how long.
One more thing,as far as i have read( i will try to find something on that subject) the redish types have more K in them and greens are good for veg stage,but i dont know how real is this information.:)

Ina

Ina

It wasnt such a big work ,i just took a little in a bag(even split them reds and greens haha),it was enough for few experiments.......But of course you can purchase it ready for use:)May be they will do it better.but if you have it near you...........Its also interesting:)

RonS

RonS

Has anyone tried this and is it a good idea or a useless exercise?

Since I already had everything, I tried this...

Maybe that clip will help your situation.

Does it make things better? I don't know. I used it with 3 other items in a feeding solution. Nothing died or got yellow or....

After 7-10 days at room temperatures the jug holding the extract did get a bit stinky. I'll make a smaller batch next time....☺

Tlegacy

Tlegacy

Cool.

I live near the coast and have access to unlimited supplies of seaweed. I have been attempting to make seaweed extract by boiling seaweed for several hours. Has anyone tried this and is it a good idea or a useless exercise?

Reactions: Ina
Tlegacy

Tlegacy

Curious to know if the ph comes out a 9 for you if you try it.

0BB787CC 2D0E 4EB0 9814 5189EAEEDAF8
quirk

quirk

There's seaweed and then there's Brown Seaweed ( ascophyllum nodosum) and no one has unlimited access.
You might could wrap some sushi with what you've got.

Top Bottom