male A x Female B vs. female A x male B

• Thread starter gacktodd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gacktodd

So say I hope to cross a pure/mostly sativa with an Ultimate Chem pheno and I want to select for up/psychedelic traits. is the sativa more likely to shine through as the mother or the father of the cross? or would there be no predictable difference?

P

poutpup07

some studies suggest......

that the mother brings more of the phenotypes through in the offspring.....i guess what i would do is do it your way then backcross the offspring to the parent you wanted to see the most of, then keep back crossing the offspring to that parent would be one way to do it and get what you are looking for or you could do the cross as you intended grow out the offspring and cross the ones that have the most in common with what you are looking for...... there is a couple ways to go about doing this....i dunno if anyone else agrees with me its just the way id go about it..... or you could even go about using multiple fathers or mothers of the same seed stock to reproduce with a male / female of your likings ... there is just so many ways to do it....what your gonna have to do is a test cross to see if you like the cross maybe?
pup

P

ProGroWannabe

Yeah it really depends on trait dominance, I think. I'm just learning the ins and outs of breeding biology so I may be off the mark here, but from what I understand you'll have to find a method to identify what traits are dominant in the P1 mom, then do a test-cross with the P1 father to determine whether the mom's chosen traits came through in the f1's. If so, then you can reassess how close you are to the goals you've set and continue. If the preferred characteristics did not come through, you may still be able to lock them in, but realize you will be working with recessive traits, therefore there may be alot more work involved.

There are folks here who have a lot more experience than me and may find mistakes in this post. If so guys, feel free to slap me down and preach the truth...lol.

Top Bottom