Male plant from feminized seed, is the pollen viable or sterile?

• Thread starter cannabiscreep
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cannabiscreep

cannabiscreep

I popped some seeds back in January, vegged for a monthor so, and flipped to flower a month ago. One plant a New England Hazy Kush didnt show its sex even after flip until 4 days ago when it started growing pollen sacs everywhere. No flowers or pistols just suddenly male. If it really is a male from a feminized seed will the pollen be viable? If so will it make feminized seeds or regular seeds

Male plant from feminized seed is the pollen viable or sterile
Male plant from feminized seed is the pollen viable or sterile 2
Growmanva

Growmanva

Chances of a male from a feminized seed pack is very highly unlikely, but it is a possible anomoly; and or an accidental cross pollination from the breeder (possibility here depending on the reliability of the breeder, not likely, but accidents do happen) the only other thing is it could be a true hermie due to light stress... which is unfortunately a draw back to feminizing genetics. The pollen from this male, In my research and opinion, would have a much MUCH higher probability of passing the negative hermie traits to the offspring which is undesireable for feminized breeding. but in all three instances theres a really good chance its viable.

Hope this helps
- growmanva

cannabiscreep

cannabiscreep

I call this a male because there is no evidence of female flowers at all just the stipules at the branching segments. I went out to the trash to recheck the plant. All nards, no bracts!

The other four plants are all fine, growing happily without issue.

I snipped a couple clones from him and from two female plants and put them in my seed tent. We’ll see what happens.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Going to either assume that or it was just a regular seed that got mixed or a breeder had a male with an itchy finger.

cannabiscreep

cannabiscreep

Yeah I’m not really complaining. Last grow I had a male so I made some seeds with a couple of clones. I’m growing out one of those seeds now and it looks really good so I’ll probably keep doing it.

Growmanva

Growmanva

I call this a male because there is no evidence of female flowers at all just the stipules at the branching segments. I went out to the trash to recheck the plant. All nards, no bracts!

The other four plants are all fine, growing happily without issue.

I snipped a couple clones from him and from two female plants and put them in my seed tent. We’ll see what happens.
Thats incredibly interesting!!! Hopefully it reveals desireble traits for the progeny!

sorry a little off topic, but i also dug a little deeper and found a scientific grow experiment that resulted INSIGNIFICANT difference in genetic diversity between the offspring of FIRST generation selfed females (hermies or forced feminization) and cross pollinated females (female pollen to female flower)
To my understanding, cross pollinating produces pretty good variabillity... And so would be the same for 1st gen selfed seeds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom