Male preflowers with pistils? Reverse Hermie?

• Thread starter Blue.Skies
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blue.Skies

Blue.Skies

Hey all! First grow. I’m learning a lot. However, just when I think I KNOW FOR SURE what I’m looking at, MJ still baffles me.

All my plants are from bag seed (so I expected males and/or females with hermaphroditic traits) germinated around 12/10/20. None of them showed what I felt to be true gender determining preflowers after 7 weeks of veg in DWC under Spider Farmer SF2000 and SF1000. They are on day 16 of 12/12. Other than my learning curve with hydro nutrients and LED lights, the only “stress” the plants received was topping and LST early in veg and one night the heater malfunctioned causing the tent to get up to 89-90 F for the 12 hour dark cycle. Otherwise the environment has always been 65-75 F and 45-60% humidity.
All of the plants now show definite female bracts with pistils. All EXCEPT Ms. Pearl here. She started growing what I thought for sure were MALE preflowers. I decided to give her a few days to be certain. But instead of her preflowers looking more like a male, pistils keep coming out of them. I see a grape like growth patterns, the male “crab claw”, crossed and not-crossed stipules, growing at the node and between the nodes,
BUT...
After a day or so from appearing, 2 little pistils keep coming out of these things. Is it naive to wait and be sure? If it is a hermie (almost seems like reverse hermie based on my reading), would it hurt to give it more time? Or am I playing Russian Roulette by not culling asap? Thank you in advance. Peace!

Male preflowers with pistils reverse hermie
Male preflowers with pistils reverse hermie 2
Male preflowers with pistils reverse hermie 3
Male preflowers with pistils reverse hermie 4
Blue.Skies

Blue.Skies

Hermi mate rip it out or will seed everything
Thank you for the quick reply! I’m literally monitoring every preflower on every plant every day. So far, instead of hardening or developing might be the right term, they keep shooting out pistils. Is it normal to have a plant look completely male (to my green eyes), but show female hermaphroditism? Does that indicate a “true hermaphrodite” or “reverse hermaphrodite” possibly?

Blue.Skies

Blue.Skies

Forgot the pics showing pistils. Like I said, I’m checking them daily, even just to see if the outer bracts split to reveal the pollen sac, but before that happens, 2 white pistols pop out of what I would’ve 100% called a pollen sac. Anywho, I’ll keep posting pics until I cull the plant to help other newbs like me.

575D3745 662A 48F9 8923 E9E783152A94
17A44598 3265 4599 8794 5A6037D9AFFF
F8C7B3D4 193E 45ED 850A 4EED59FF6B4D
DA46BFD3 2D78 40C6 9C4D 748D274C042B
Justlovetogrow

Justlovetogrow

Forgot the pics showing pistils. Like I said, I’m checking them daily, even just to see if the outer bracts split to reveal the pollen sac, but before that happens, 2 white pistols pop out of what I would’ve 100% called a pollen sac. Anywho, I’ll keep posting pics until I cull the plant to help other newbs like me.
I wouldn’t leave it mate if it pops u won’t be happy with all the hermi seed I wouldn’t know about reverse hermi never heard of it it’s just hermi imo

Blue.Skies

Blue.Skies

Male.
Mr.G

What do you make of the pistils? It definitely looked spot on exactly what I imagined a male to look like...til pistils started popping out of all those male parts. Which made me think reverse hermie due to the 90 degree night in 2nd week of flower. From what I’ve read on genetics, it would have been a good plant to breed, as it’s hermaphroditic trait is to become female when under stress. Making stress resistant females. Thanks for help.

growsince79

growsince79

Natural herm kill it.

growsince79

growsince79

What do you make of the pistils? It definitely looked spot on exactly what I imagined a male to look like...til pistils started popping out of all those male parts. Which made me think reverse hermie due to the 90 degree night in 2nd week of flower. From what I’ve read on genetics, it would have been a good plant to breed, as it’s hermaphroditic trait is to become female when under stress. Making stress resistant females. Thanks for help.
From what I read, it's natural herm. Reverse herm starts out totally male and changes at the end. I didn't know the pollen might be special until after I used it. I should have froze the extra.

IMG 20201224 082304940
growsince79

growsince79

From what I read, it's natural herm. Reverse herm starts out totally male and changes at the end. I didn't know the pollen might be special until after I used it. I should have froze the extra.
This only started making female parts after 2 days 24 hr light while collecting pollen.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Most bag seed these days (and for the past 30 - 40 years) are the result of a female plant popping a male flower. They always have to be watched. I just don't mess with them.

Of course, there are probably at least half a dozen very famous clone-only strains that originated from bag seed, so just because I don't mess with them doesn't mean you can't find something special in them.

growsince79

growsince79

Most bag seed these days (and for the past 30 - 40 years) are the result of a female plant popping a male flower. They always have to be watched. I just don't mess with them.

Of course, there are probably at least half a dozen very famous clone-only strains that originated from bag seed, so just because I don't mess with them doesn't mean you can't find something special in them.
This male (reverse herm?) was from macriddle male x purple chem female. Pollen was used to breed purple chem. Seeds are now ripe and waiting their turn.

Blue.Skies

Blue.Skies

It’s our only option unfortunately. But the only seeds we save are from loud, sticky, good good when there’s like one or two seeds in a QP. Like form a light leak or stress mid-flower. So far the 3 girls from original 6 are ripening up nicely despite me doing everything exactly wrong before learning proper ways. One seems like she has some glue in her and another maybe some diesel. Two strains we consume a lot. Cheers ✌️

zebrausa

zebrausa

Thank you for the quick reply! I’m literally monitoring every preflower on every plant every day. So far, instead of hardening or developing might be the right term, they keep shooting out pistils. Is it normal to have a plant look completely male (to my green eyes), but show female hermaphroditism? Does that indicate a “true hermaphrodite” or “reverse hermaphrodite” possibly?
If you have the space, move the plant, collect the pollen then kill it. It looks like a normal male plant to me.

GreyGhost

GreyGhost

Hi everyone could you help me out first time grower (outdoors) everything was going good until about 5 days ago I noticed slight changes in the plant Like it’s going back into vegging or herm?? But as I said first time so I’m being cautious haha.
72C8002E 9C97 4F18 8878 640EB820C689
10790B5B A3D1 4890 A7BD 79C871F94FC4
F59C3E2F FE58 40E2 AC44 C8729AEAAD4E
7902A8A0 117A 4ABD A197 804E931FF23E
51E902D3 BC4D 4127 95AB 4EF0AAED74D3
76BD4E83 C184 4128 A103 C3991F12EA61
CBC16914 3B48 44F2 924A 184B8A98BE20
6571AAC4 349F 4373 8C9F 72B9B54AB187
30AC500A 500C 43EE AE33 42B2283B6DF3
9694F493 8695 474E A4A7 E8B49493BF35

Top Bottom