Males or females (still vegging)

• Thread starter Miked1988
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Miked1988

Miked1988

Been vegging these under 18/24 for about 3 months now but thought I was seeing some male parts (still vegging) esp on the first plant.. maybe just my eyesight going to shit lol but it’s two differnt plants in each pic both the same strain.. I don’t see any bananas or balls yet but just wanted to double check your guys opinions I’m not a expert on males but wanted to make sure I separated them Incase they were.. appreciate any help!!

Males or females still vegging
Males or females still vegging 2
Miked1988

Miked1988

Damn I was hoping I was wrong Lol.. and at what point can they can pollenate my females? Can they pollenate now?

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

Damn I was hoping I was wrong Lol.. and at what point can they can pollenate my females? Can they pollenate now?
No, they need to open and drop pollen from little yellow hanging things that look like a clump of bananas. You have maybe a week unless that is little yellow bananas in the first pic, upper left. But if you have no intention of making seeds, once confirmed they are a male in your mind, chop them down. It only takes a little pollen to make a lot of seeds, so get them before they open.

Miked1988

Miked1988

No, they need to open and drop pollen from little yellow hanging things that look like a clump of bananas. You have maybe a week unless that is little yellow bananas in the first pic, upper left. But if you have no intention of making seeds, once confirmed they are a male in your mind, chop them down. It only takes a little pollen to make a lot of seeds, so get them before they open.
Thanks man!, yeah I have to of Valuable beans to even take the chance right now lol so I’ll probably just toss them..both plants are a sativa dominant called “lemon fizz f3”.. I prune the hell out of them so at first I thought they could’ve just been ripped nodes from I removed the the big fan leaves but it still worried me...Lol

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

Thanks man!, yeah I have to of Valuable beans to even take the chance right now lol so I’ll probably just toss them..both plants are a sativa dominant called “lemon fizz f3”.. I prune the hell out of them so at first I thought they could’ve just been ripped nodes from I removed the the big fan leaves but it still worried me...Lol
No worries. That is awesome you have some more beans ready to go. Enjoy the journey :)

I noticed that you cut the fan leaves and left the remaining 1/2" stub where they connect to the plant. When you are removing leaves, it is best to take the whole thing, this signals the junction of the plant to know it doesn't need to send water that way. With the small branch piece still there, until it heals over, your plant will pump water to it.

If you've watered after making fresh cuts on branches, you'll see the water bead up on that cut end. Its an invitation for infections or molds and if you had a bud covering the area, it can increase the moisture in the bud and may lead to bud rot. It's more of a "better safe than sorry" practice, as compared to a life critical practice.

Miked1988

Miked1988

No worries. That is awesome you have some more beans ready to go. Enjoy the journey :)

I noticed that you cut the fan leaves and left the remaining 1/2" stub where they connect to the plant. When you are removing leaves, it is best to take the whole thing, this signals the junction of the plant to know it doesn't need to send water that way. With the small branch piece still there, until it heals over, your plant will pump water to it.

If you've watered after making fresh cuts on branches, you'll see the water bead up on that cut end. Its an invitation for infections or molds and if you had a bud covering the area, it can increase the moisture in the bud and may lead to bud rot. It's more of a "better safe than sorry" practice, as compared to a life critical practice.
Good to know bro, yeah I intentionally left the stems their to fall off on it’s own in hopes it wouldn’t stress the node as much on top of it.. but after hearing what you said that makes sense! Never even thought about that! I’ll make sure I remove the whole thing now 🙏

Miked1988

Miked1988

If anybody is in the Sacramento area and is interested in them LMK.. the strain is “Lemon Fizz F3” from Calyx Bros.. their about $100 a pack and suppose to be have some good genetics..

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

Good to know bro, yeah I intentionally left the stems their to fall off on it’s own in hopes it wouldn’t stress the node as much on top of it.. but after hearing what you said that makes sense! Never even thought about that! I’ll make sure I remove the whole thing now 🙏
It was something I learned while working a legal commercial grow. I'd always used scissors to defoliate and the head grower came up while I was thinning the plants and he showed me how to do it all by hand. He presented me with that logic and that it was the way he preferred it be done. So, no questions, I've always done it that way since.

Miked1988

Miked1988

It was something I learned while working a legal commercial grow. I'd always used scissors to defoliate and the head grower came up while I was thinning the plants and he showed me how to do it all by hand. He presented me with that logic and that it was the way he preferred it be done. So, no questions, I've always done it that way since.
Good to know, thanks again bro!, I always like getting tips like that, it’s all those little things that usually end up counting and helping at the end if stuff goes wrong, Lol, speaking of the stems and the fan leaves, I noticed some of the fan leaves I have on my Wedding Mints (GG4 BX6 xWedding CakexKush Mints #11) are abnormally long with leaves have stems that are around 3 inches long, is that normal? I originally thought that is was because the plant was stretching but then I noticed it’s happening to all the my wedding mints plants so I didn’t know if it was just a genetic trait or what..

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

Likely just a genetic thing. You'll see all sorts of shapes and sizes with the various strains.

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

I'm about 90% on that one. They are young and the picture a bit fuzzy, but typically male organs will have a little stalk coming off of the plant, whereas the female organ with the pistils attaches right to the main stalk. I believe I see said stalk in your third picture. Again, I'd wait to confirm, should take a week or less, but be seriously prepared to have matching boys.

You've done a good job with the plants, they look healthy in the pictures. Sorry to give ya bad news :(

Miked1988

Miked1988

I'm about 90% on that one. They are young and the picture a bit fuzzy, but typically male organs will have a little stalk coming off of the plant, whereas the female organ with the pistils attaches right to the main stalk. I believe I see said stalk in your third picture. Again, I'd wait to confirm, should take a week or less, but be seriously prepared to have matching boys.

You've done a good job with the plants, they look healthy in the pictures. Sorry to give ya bad news :(
thanks man I appreciate all the info! Really do!! Yeah I know it’s difficult telling the males from females sometimes with certain strains in veg, I just usually look for the bananas and balls, but yeah its pretty disappointing but oh well.. I guess it’s on to the next seeds in the pack (I was trying to save them too lol) and thanks man! 👍 I try to stay on them as much as I can and I’ve had them in the bathroom where the AC can circulate because I don’t have any AC in my garage (where my tent is) so I’ve been waiting until winter comes to put them in there.. but here in Northern California it’s still like summer time but atleast I know now rather than later atleast it clears up some space in my tub because I literally had nowhere to put the first 2 I posted Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom