chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Man gets 12 years for giving daughters pot
Jack Duke... Grand Junction Sentenial

By Paul Shockley
Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Grand Junction man who admitted to regularly providing marijuana for his two daughters, ages 6 and 7, was sentenced Wednesday to serve 12 years in prison.

District Judge Valerie Robison’s sentence was handed down Wednesday in the case of 28-year-old Jack Dalton Duke. The prison term was consistent with the terms of a June plea agreement in which Duke pleaded guilty to a single count of distribution of marijuana to a minor.

Duke faced a maximum 48 years in prison if convicted on the original charges in the case, including distribution of marijuana and habitual criminal counts.

Duke was arrested in October 2010 after his then-6-year-old daughter told officials at a local elementary school that she “smokes weed” with her father when she doesn’t feel well, an arrest affidavit said.

The girl said her father told her how to inhale when he would blow smoke in her face.

Duke’s four children have been placed in separate foster homes, two children per home, pending the outcome of dependency and neglect court proceedings against Duke, Chief Deputy District Attorney Dan Rubinstein said Wednesday.

Duke initially denied providing marijuana to his two daughters, then said he did but added he never allowed them to smoke it before school, according to the affidavit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R

RMCG

Genius.

Not sure what he thought the expected outcome was of that whole scenario...

S

SoCoMMJ

In these times it was pretty stupid to do. But back in the day, they used to give cannabis tincture to children for cough, and infants for colic.

Now people get serious prison time and a broken family. Got to love how society evolves...

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Is that any worse than religious nuts whose kids die because they only believe in prayer and not medicine? Actually it's not even close.

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

I smoke like a chimney and sure as f*ck wouldn't smoke my kids out/ give em weed. little kids..thats pretty messed up. MS/HS kids smoking with their friends is way different then daddy passing you a J or blowing smoke in their face.. And being that young...Damn. My parents smoked since as long as I can remember and even tho I started smoking, my older brother never has. Grew up in the same environment and just isn't in to it. MJ should be a choice YOU make, not forced on you by your folks. Shame on you Jake!!! You got it F*cked up.

Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

I smoke like a chimney and sure as f*ck wouldn't smoke my kids out/ give em weed. little kids..thats pretty messed up. MS/HS kids smoking with their friends is way different then daddy passing you a J or blowing smoke in their face.. And being that young...Damn. My parents smoked since as long as I can remember and even tho I started smoking, my older brother never has. Grew up in the same environment and just isn't in to it. MJ should be a choice YOU make, not forced on you by your folks. Shame on you Jake!!! You got it F*cked up.

I agree and i disagree.....
it should be the individuals choice to embrace cannabis or not, but the part i kind of disagree with is.....
whats the difference if he gave his kids tylenol or aspirin? which in the longterm could have a more adverse effect on the kids health and well being. In the public's eye that would have been the better choice because thats what big pharma has led us to believe over the years.
The important part of the article is he gave it to his kids when they were ILL..not just after any random bowl of count chocula.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
that is fucking harsh - theres an asshat walking around town that beat his kid up BAD at his fucking school - he got probation

there is no justice

tylenol is fucking poison - so is aspirin - only reason aspirin is on the shelf is its grandfathered in - it wouldnt pass current fda regs

A

AliasAO

it should be the individuals choice to embrace cannabis or not, but the part i kind of disagree with is.....
whats the difference if he gave his kids tylenol or aspirin? which in the longterm could have a more adverse effect on the kids health and well being. In the public's eye that would have been the better choice because thats what big pharma has led us to believe over the years.
The important part of the article is he gave it to his kids when they were ILL..not just after any random bowl of count chocula.

GREAT POINT Dr. Evil..

when you put it in context like that , it really reflects the media instigated mental molding that goes on from a societal stand point.

Intially I was shocked because of the mental conditioning my mind has recieved in regards to MJ and young children..

But if POPS was truly using it as a medicine and in small moderation's its application should not b a problem.

I can respect the guy if he was actually educating his daughters to the medical benefits of a plant..

not just....... he girls it 420.... you ready to smoke out.
haa

thanx for the thread.

--AO

R

RMCG

While I don't disagree with the 'giving it to them when ill' standpoint, he would be in just as much trouble for giving them oxy's and whatnot.

Hell, we got liquor (whiskey or rum) when kids for teething or when we couldn't sleep. Its all in context, but you would have to assume he was going to get vilified in the media AND even if HE has a rec for MMJ, his kids certainly did not.

At 28 he should have remembered the D.A.R.E. BS that goes on in school (MUCH MORE SO NOW!) Cops come in and shows your kid pipes/bongs, paraphernalia, etc and asks if they have ever seen mommy or daddy with them. They use your kids to SPY on you!

While I don't disagree that it can cure your ills, until its a bit more recognized, stick to pedialyte. A 6yo isn't going to know ~why~ they are 'feeling funny'.

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

True, MJ is better then aspirin and other otc illness remedies, however the legal remedies don't get your kids taken away. I love bud but I love my kids more. Unless my kids get older and start smoking on their own and continue to smoke whether I like it or not, maybe someday after that we'll blaze together. Again, This is just my opinion. -PDX

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Tylenol is deadly, aspirin can be deadly, there's a difference right there.

I have two boys, one's a high functioning autistic and the other is a Touretter. Now that they're in their 20s, looking back, I wish I'd known of the medical benefits and, perhaps, might have been able to treat their disorders with that instead of the incredibly heavy duty medications (which were being prescribed "off label") that we tried. The autistic now grows his own, has been growing longer than his mother. The Touretter got himself on a probation program that doesn't allow cannabis, which is too bad because it's amazing to watch his tics disappear just minutes after taking his first tokes.

that is fucking harsh - theres an asshat walking around town that beat his kid up BAD at his fucking school - he got probation

there is no justice

tylenol is fucking poison - so is aspirin - only reason aspirin is on the shelf is its grandfathered in - it wouldnt pass current fda regs
Aspirin doesn't tax the system like Tylenol, but if a child is sick with a particular illness (been too long since I've had to know, so don't remember what it is) and you give that kid aspirin you could kill the child, too. Tylenol is just so fucking hard on the liver! Ibuprofen is better.

I used to give my kids Benadryl! I learned that giving the Touretter coffee calmed him down, so a half hour before bedtime he got a bath and a nice, sweet cuppa joe.

R

RMCG

Tylenol is deadly, aspirin can be deadly, there's a difference right there.

I have two boys, one's a high functioning autistic and the other is a Touretter. Now that they're in their 20s, looking back, I wish I'd known of the medical benefits and, perhaps, might have been able to treat their disorders with that instead of the incredibly heavy duty medications (which were being prescribed "off label") that we tried. The autistic now grows his own, has been growing longer than his mother. The Touretter got himself on a probation program that doesn't allow cannabis, which is too bad because it's amazing to watch his tics disappear just minutes after taking his first tokes.

Aspirin doesn't tax the system like Tylenol, but if a child is sick with a particular illness (been too long since I've had to know, so don't remember what it is) and you give that kid aspirin you could kill the child, too. Tylenol is just so fucking hard on the liver! Ibuprofen is better.

I used to give my kids Benadryl! I learned that giving the Touretter coffee calmed him down, so a half hour before bedtime he got a bath and a nice, sweet cuppa joe.

I believe its Reyes Syndrome.

M

MIway

The only thing that might be of concern... kids & weed... is that their brains are still developing, and the effects of weed on a growing brain...??? Maybe if we studied it, we would find actual benefits... but pretty sure a drug that effects receptors in the brain, will have some sort of effect to the overall development... and the younger, the earlier in the cycle. But alas, it's a sched I... no research/studies.

K

kolah

If parents want to use MJ as an alternative to pharma-shit drugs for their childrens ailments they should use the edible form and tell no one.

IMO weed has no neurological negative side effects as far as "brain damage" is concerned. If anything I believe it enhances brain activitity, expands creativity and helps with a multitude of problems (ADD, Autism, nervousness, coughs, fevers, flu, etc).

Parents, if you decide to go that route use edibles...and be responsible (proper dosage, supervision, etc)

on another note: the fucking school systems are teaching kids to rat out their parents. I'd keep your toking private and away from the kiddies. I also am a homeschool advocate. Anything run by the government is bad f-ing news IMO. "Tell me Lil Johnny, is your mommy or daddy smoking stinky and funny looking cigarettes? or do they have funny looking pipes layin around the house? You can tell me Johnny and I will give you a prize."

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
good post Kolah I completely agree

I think everyone should eat cannabis

We need the Cannabinoids

I think 12 years is way to much time for the crime...WTF was this Texas?

K

kolah

Yeah now these kids are shipped into government housing and most likely will be sexually abused. Not to mention traumatized from being seperated from their Dad. Adding insult to injury they often split the kids up too. The Gov likes stealing our children. Some end up in sex shops overseas.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The only thing that might be of concern... kids & weed... is that their brains are still developing, and the effects of weed on a growing brain...??? Maybe if we studied it, we would find actual benefits... but pretty sure a drug that effects receptors in the brain, will have some sort of effect to the overall development... and the younger, the earlier in the cycle. But alas, it's a sched I... no research/studies.
In Jamaica it's given to some kids, as I recall reading a study, the only one of its kind, done some years ago. Now I'm drawing a flipping blank, of course. And it had nothing to do with brain receptors, I think the gal just focused on how well they functioned in their society, illness and death rates, stuff like that.

K

kolah

The corrupt people who run this broken republic of ours wants everyone in a cage.

T

ToastyRoadie

The corrupt people who run this broken republic of ours wants everyone in a cage.

Correct, the prison industry is multi-billion dollar, world wide and rolling.:sign0065:

Great article here...

Private prison industry spreads its tentacles
Saturday, May 28, 2011

By Jay Fletcher

The Western Australia Liberal government recently said its lucrative prisoner transport contract with private security firm G4S would end in July. Another private company, the British-based conglomerate Serco, will take over.

The move came after a long campaign against G4S and the WA department of corrective services over the death of Aboriginal man Mr Ward, who died of heat stroke in a G4S van during a 360 kilometre trip in January 2008.

The state coroner said G4S was directly responsible for Mr Ward’s awful death.

But the key demand of the Mr Ward campaign wasn’t just getting rid of G4S; it argued for an end to the privatisation of prisons and prisoner management.

The awarding of the contract to the secretive Serco has disgusted many.

It’s the second time G4S has lost a contract to Serco; the federal government gave Serco the contract to run Australia’s refugee detention network in 2009.

Serco runs two of the eight privately-run prisons in Australia — WA’s biggest prison Acacia, and Queensland’s Borallon prison.

It is aggressively lobbying the NSW government to take over Parklea prison — already privately run by the GEO Group — and Cessnock prison, which was the centre of a resolute anti-privatisation campaign in 2009.

Cessnock prison has since remained in public hands.

G4S (formerly GSL) still runs prisons at Port Phillip in Victoria and Mount Gambier in South Australia.

Supporters of prison privatisation say that it will lead to better prisons, due to private sector “competition” and less bureaucracy. However, private prisons in Australia go largely unregulated and information about conditions inside is limited.

A recent glowing report by the state inspector into Serco’s Acacia prison ignores the fact that when profit is the main motive, it conflicts with prisoner welfare.

Privatisation creates an incentive for more inmates and longer jail time; the more who go in, the more money comes out.

A 2004 NSW parliament paper said Australia has the “highest proportion of inmates in private prisons of any nation at around 17%”. Companies like Serco and the GEO Group — which runs four Australian prisons and many more in the US — will fight to have the number rise.

The US has been privatising prisons since the 1980s and has the biggest inmate population in the world. It holds 25% of the world’s prison population (2 million people) but accounts for only 5% of the world’s population.

In the US, private prison companies form a powerful lobby to push stronger criminalisation of laws that target the poor (such as the “war on drugs”) and immigrants, raising incarceration rates and sentencing times.

As a result, the number of people held in private prisons has swelled by one third over the past decade to 90,000.

This “prison-industrial complex”, with investors on Wall Street and trade shows across the country, is a fast growing and hugely profitable industry.

Inmates form a source of cheap labour. Since privatisation began at least 37 states have legalised the use of prison labour, which is contracted out to other corporations, construction companies and surveillance and technology vendors.

The Centre for Research on Globalisation says companies such as IBM, Boeing, Motorola and Microsoft are among a long list of companies with operations inside prisons.

A March 2008 Global Research article said “the federal prison industry produces 100% of all military helmets, ammunition belts, bulletproof vests, ID tags, shirts, pants, tents, bags and canteens”.

Prisoner labour is cheap — as low as 25 cents an hour — and they have no rights. A strike for working rights in a prison in Georgia was brutally repressed last year.

Thanks to the lobby, laws in the US have changed to make previously legal things a crime, and punishments have become harsher. The “three strikes” law in several US states — life in prison for three convictions — is one example.

Another is Arizona’s SB1070 anti-immigration law, which has been condemned for blatant racial profiling, targeting people of “Latino appearance” and other migrants.

Immigrantsforsale.org says this law is directly linked to the multi-billion dollar prison industry. Lobby group ALEC “crafted a model legislation that became almost word for word Arizona’s SB1070” — other states have begun to copy the law.

It says that the private prison industry in the US makes $5 billion a year and has spent “over $20 million lobbying state legislators to make sure they get state anti-immigration laws approved and ensure access to more immigrant inmates”.

They make $200 per immigrant in prison a night. And $72,000 per immigrant each year.

A May 18 New York Times article said the industry “has struggled, in some places, to fill prison beds as the number of inmates nationwide has leveled off” — so states such as Arizona, Ohio and Georgia are signing deals to turn over their overflowing prison population to the private companies.

In 2006, due to overcrowded prisons, California’s Republican governor Arnold Schwarzenegger used emergency laws to move 10,000 inmates to private prisons in other states.

The prison industry is not about rehabilitating prisoners, reducing crime or improving “services”. It is about keeping jails full.

Keeping a steady flow of prisoners is essential to the profits of companies like Serco.

Those who feel horrified by the path the US has taken, and who find it morally wrong that obscene profit can be made from state punishment, should oppose the privatisation of any detention centres, whether of prisoners, refugees or migrants.

http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/47705

Top Bottom