Managing my dry while heading out of town…

• Thread starter Mcnoxey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mcnoxey

Hi all,

I recently finished a grow that timed itself perfectly with a work trip I have… I’ll be heading out of town for 5 days, leaving Monday morning (Aug 8th) returning Saturday Aug 13th. As fate would have it, my plants were ready for the chop on Tuesday. Historically I’ve had my plants dry relatively quickly, however the humidity is insane lately and my indoor drying environment is roughly 72F and 65% RH.

The plants have been drying with a very mild wet trim (removed fan leaves and the odd sugar leaf) since Tuesday. I’m out of town for the weekend right now, but I have a camera on the hygrometer so I can keep an eye on my temps. I’m really not sure how to proceed… My initial plan was to trim and jar the bud tomorrow night, but now that I’ve been watching them dry for a few days I’m thinking they won’t be ready.

My girlfriend will be home during my trip, but I don’t want to burden her too much with trimming/managing the grow. I’m considering the options below… just not sure which approach is the best:
  • Trim the buds tomorrow, toss them into jars with Hygrometers and have my girlfriend monitor the RH of the jars. If they get too high (70% or higher) have her spread out the bud to dry for a few hours and rejar them, repeating this process for the majority of the week until they’re down to ~62%.
  • Trim the buds but don’t jar them - just leave them out in the drying tent to continue to dry. Depending on how dry they are tomorrow, instruct my GF to jar them 1-2 days after I leave.
  • Trim the buds tomorrow, toss them into brown paper bags and put them in the fridge. Have my GF shake them around and burp them every day until i return, at which point I’ll either jar or dry them.
  • Last option would be to just have her manage the process… but she’s not really as invested in this hobby as I am and I don’t know that it’s fair to ask her to test the stems then trim and jar the buds.
Any other thoughts…? Any other way to manage this? I would consider just leaving them… as it will be ~10.5 days by the time I get back.. it may end up being the ideal drying time, but my fear is that they’ll over dry and I won’t be there to manage it.

freezeland2

freezeland2

If the GF smokes it she should help with the processing the harvest.

Short of that stick it in paper bags to slow things down and hope for the best when you get back.

M

Mcnoxey

If the GF smokes it she should help with the processing the harvest.

Short of that stick it in paper bags to slow things down and hope for the best when you get back.
She has no problems helping - she just hasn’t invested the time I have to understand how to tell if things are ready or not… and I’m quite particular so she won’t want to mess things up.

I’ve got no problems having her just jar it up. So trimming it at day 5 and bagging for a few is probably the best bet?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
that's what i would do. shuck the buds off the stems into paper bags, no more than 1/2 fill each bag, fold the tops a few times to seal em. then just have her open the bags, toss the buds a little bit once a day, and seal the bags back up.

that's my standard process for drying anyways. hang dry 5-7 days (if drying in the warmer months) then into paper bags for another 10ish days until ready for jars. no hygrometers needed, you just develop a feel for when they're ready for jars. typically by then they're already starting a solid cure so you don't go through that awkward grass cut smell phase. i know this wasn't a question on how to dry/cure, but the paper bag method will save you a lot of stress while you're away and ease your gf's mind from the worry of screwing something up.

S

Stonemason7767

Paper bags works good.i have been doing paper bags in empty frost free fridge for my entire dry .i dont have any other option.i sort the bud sizes and don't put to much in one bag.takes me couple weeks in the fridge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom