Manicuring; better dried or fresh

• Thread starter Green Rabbit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Rabbit

Green Rabbit

Manicuring; better dried or fresh?

I´ve been doing trimming jobs for years and now I am curious what all you "profis" out there think... better to trim buds wet, fresh off the plant or wait until after the dry/curing process to trim.... I have seen the best and worst of both worlds.... but what IS the best way?

D

Donk Frog

It depends on how many people you have to trim how much you are trimming, and purpose of the herb do you want perrsonnal top quality weed or is it a commerical cash crop of massive amonts. Dry it take more time, but u get purer bubble hash with fresh trim (less yeild though) so I trim most of my right away and make bubble same day, then hang, screen,sweat, screen,sweat until dry. Then into jars for curing, where the difference is really made

D

Donk Frog

I 've been growing for fifteen plus years and have done both ways(drying full plant, trimming whole thing freash or trimming big fans and allowing the rest to dry completlly). I find no real differnce in taste or potency until my min 3-4weekcure, plus like I said I like to make bubble right away with the fresh trim, no disrespect meant ripz bro ....just my opion...but to each there own

fractaLz

fractaLz

the best way is to let the whole plant dry in one piece then trim everything off after :)

This is what brought my herb to the next level. I first read about this technique in DJ Shorts book 4 years ago. Before that I had always trimmed my ladies up in the first few days after the chop. As soon as I let the entire plant cure before trimming, my herb was light years beyond what it had been. I typically find that it takes between 10-14 days to dry

J

John Ditchweed

I trim some beofre and after......... I trim the big fans leaves before and then anything I can make hash with after........... it is easier that way because when dry you don't need much to break off small sets of leaves

D

Donk Frog

By DJ Short Breeder of the famed "Flo" and "Blueberry" strains

Proper curing can exponentially increase the quality and desirability of your harvest. The key word to remember is "slow".

Hang the branches in the drying room and regularly check them until the smaller leaves and bud tips become dry and brittle to the touch. It is then time to remove the buds from the branch and remove the rest of the leaf material as best as possible. This is what is referred to as "manicuring".
Now you have a few choices as to what to do with your manicured buds. The buds should still be a little wet at this point, especially on the inside, but the outer part of the buds should be starting to feel dry. Some of the buds, the smaller ones in particular, might even be smokable at this point.

If you are in a more humid area, or if the buds are still feeling heavy with moisture, you may want to try placing them on a suspended screen for a little while. This will help to hasten the drying process. Once again, regular checking to decide when they are ready for the next stage is crucial. This is also a skill that is developed more with time and experience, so practice!

Brown Bagging It

Once the buds are crisp on the outside but still moist on the inside it is time for the next step in the process: the paper bag. I like to use brown paper shopping bags due to their not being bleached, an unwanted chemical.

Simply fill a paper bag a few inches deep with the manicured buds. Don't pack the buds down and do not fold the bag too tight. A few small folds at the top of the bag, like a lunch bag, should suffice.

If the buds are a tad wet or if humid conditions dominate, you might want to consider cutting a few small holes in the bag, above the level of the buds, for ventilation.

As with proper manicuring, regular checking is key. The bags should be gently shaken, ever-so-carefully turning the buds, at least once a day. As the buds dry they will naturally compact into the self-preserving state that we all know and love. It is at this time that the buds can be more compacted together and the bag folded down tighter. They should now be fully smokable, though perhaps still slightly damp at the core.

The entire process, from harvest to these first smokable products, should take anywhere from two to four weeks, depending on your climate. Extremes in climate, such as very arid deserts or tropical humid areas, may take more or less time. There is no substitute for consistent, hands-on checking.

The Final Stage

A final curing stage, preferred by most connoisseurs, involves sealable jars. The nearly ready buds are transferred from the bag to the jar, packed in very loosely, and the jar is sealed. It is very important in the early jar-stage to check the buds at least once a day.

I like to dump them all out of the jar and gently fluff them up at least once a day at first, then less often as time progresses, usually for a week to ten days. It is important to be as gentle as possible so as not to damage too many of the resin glands. After a week or so all I do is simply open the jar and check the buds on a daily basis.

Watch for Mold

The main thing to watch (and smell) for throughout all of the curing process is mold. Whenever mold is found it must be dealt with immediately. The moldy bud needs to be removed, and the rest of the product needs to be exposed to a drier environment for a while.

The simplest solution is to go back one step. For example, if the mold was detected in the jar stage simply put the rest of the product back to the bag stage for awhile (after removing the contaminated product from the batch). If the mold is detected in the bag stage, go back to the screen. The screen is the driest process that I know of. If problems with the mold occur prior to this, a dehumidifier in the drying room may be the answer. Aside from watching and smelling for mold, always remember to keep the product in the dark.

Ready to go!

A bud is completely dry, cured, and ready for sale or consumption when the stem in the middle of the bud snaps when the bud is cracked with the fingers. The snap is easy to detect with practice. It is at this stage that the product can safely be sealed and stored for an indefinite period of time.

The longer you can stretch out this process, while also avoiding mold, the better. I like when it takes six to eight weeks from harvest to the finished product. You will be able to detect the fragrance of the product becoming more and more desirable as time progresses.

DJ Short welcomes questions and feedback, especially in the cultivation of the Blueberry and Flo varieties. He can be contacted care of Cannabis Canada.

AquaLabTech

AquaLabTech

Hashish Connoisseur
Cleaning Your Plants to Make Water Hash

First of all, Flush your plants with clean water for at least 2 weeks.

When your plants are at there Peak, meaning that the Resin on the plant is Mature and ready to be harvested. It is time to start cleaning.

You should stop watering your plants a few days before you harvest to help the drying process.

Now it is cleaning time, We prefer to take the time and clean all the leaves with no Resin on them while they are still standing alive in there growing medium. Take the time and clean them well of all there non resin covered leaves, then chop down the plant well above the growing medium to help prevent any unwanted dust or etc.

The reason we take the time to clean all the non resin covered leaves is this will help the clean up process when doing the final manucuring. Any plant material without Resin on it when completly dry will break down to powder plant material when dry and this will comtaminate your end hash.

After you have all the plants cleaned then hang them upside down in a dry, dark and cool air flowing room. Drying time depends on the drying area and the enviroment your are in.

Once you can grab a branch on the plant and it Snaps when bent, then you know the plants are almost dry.

Clean your plants of all there Resin Covered leaves, separating the strains to make Water Hash.

Once your plants are all trimmed put the buds in a Zip-lock bag for 12 hours to sweat all the moisture out of the stem. Then remove your buds from the bag and let them finish drying before placing in the bag again, if you can snap the stem after you have Sweated the water out of the stem then your buds are well dryed.

Now go back to your leaf and make sure to store it well for another week or two before using it to make water hash. You do not need to put your leaf trim in the freezer this will only dry it out to fast causing it to break down into powder and contaminate your Hash.

Aqua Lab Tech

D

Donk Frog

Note the part about humid area..... my drying area is humid unless the wood stove is on (which can't be all year) I follow this artice to cure as I have the origanal issue, the chemical changes of which you speak take place during the cure not the first part of the drying process as chemical changes take place over many weeks not just a few the reason to leave the whole plant to dry is more about not damaging heads when drying but as you see in this article screen and brown bags sweats are the way to go in more humid areas

J

John Ditchweed

Donk is right........ the chemical process that happens starts when the buds are in a jar........ its the chlorophyl breaking down.......... this is where you taste and rest of potency come from................ man i am having a tough time spelling today

hubcap

hubcap

i feel hazes dont really deliver their best punch without sitting in a jar for a month...at least. anyone else wid me or am i alone there...?

harvesting
i prefer to just cut a plant at the base.
hang it.
pull the fan leafs off.
let dry
trim off sugarleafs

cut/store/cure buds.
.throw sugarleaf in freezer.

bada boom bada bing.

Greyskull

Greyskull

i hear you ripz on the dj short direction and all, but just like growing the plant, there are a few different ways of harvesting that in the end will produce the same results.

i prefer to trim my plants before hanging them up. BUT I DO LET MY PLANTS SIT W/OUT BEING FED (flushed further, technically speaking) FOR A FEW DAYS.... so its like the plants' buds are starting to dry on the vine, if you will.

it works for me!

when you make it to cali we'll have to take a little blind taste test... we'll use that pre 98 bubba for the control plant. what'd ya say?

T

thc4sim

i feel hazes dont really deliver their best punch without sitting in a jar for a month

im with ya bro! i dont think any weed is that good without a cure for at least a couple of weeks, then the real flavours start to come out!!

:icon_cookie:

D

Donk Frog

lol sorry bro but im gonna trust dj shorts on this one, as it goes have you got a link or somethin to info that proves that?

the part about (chemical changes in the bud) taking place over weeks is from one of DJ Shorts articles:cool0041: thats where I got my info aswell...I am going through my old high times and cannbis culture now to find the article ...I'll post it as soon as i find it

M

mellofello

I have trimmed my plants before drying each time because I've found that if i hang them with all the small leaves left on many of them end up folding over the buds then I end up ripping the buds trying to pull the leaves off!

Something I'm missing? I'm not commercial so I trim very close to the bud leaving as close to 0 leaf as I can. Maybe I should not be so picky then it wouldn't take me a few hours to trim each plant!

peace

mello

A

Attis

I have had this discussion many times with growers that I know, and they all preferred to do it differently. Some before and some after the drying process. I think the ones who trimmed prior to only did so because it was easier(to them) I did notice that the ones who dried then trimmed had IMO better end results. However, I can't really say what the reason was with any certainty. I will say that it is more logical that the plants trimmed after they dry seems like the way to go because they can use up the sugars and proteins still left in the leaves. Makes sense to me, and if DJ Shorts suggests it, then I will take his advice. I am going to try it both ways with the same plant on my next run and post my findings.

Great discussion. :anim_30:

-A

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
I've gotta say i'm with ripz on this one. It seems as though my buds def bring their smell out faster when i let the whole plant dry. Since this is all theory i'll throw out mine: you have more mass when you don't trim. More mass means it'll take that much longer to dry. I think we all will agree that the longer the better on drying times AND curing times. So IMO by having more mass to dry, it prolongs the process therefore making it better. I actually did a few plants where i trimmed them up, but i left the majority untrimmed. I think leaving all leaves on also protects the buds from premature drying and direct "wind" from any fans in the room.

Top Bottom